The Bualuang mBanking (Bangkok Bank) App Is A Malicious Threat?

Dmaxdan

My Android phone did a routine security scan this morning and has declared that the Bangkok Bank app is now a risky item. It is saying that apparently it has been linked to a high risk trojan.  I was advised to uninstall it or add it to the isolation box.  So I logged out of the app, uninstalled it and then out of curiosity re-installed it and then, without logging in ran the security scan again. The same result, a malicious threat! So far there has been no suspicious activity within my Bangkok bank account. My phone is not saying it is infected, just that the Bangkok Bank app is now a high risk item.

Now I have done a couple of full virus scans on my phone and nothing else untoward has been found. My phone is about two years old and runs a fully updated version of Android 11.

Any constructive thoughts will be appreciated.  

Using it since years. Multiple times scanned the phone with antivirus SW (on demand) and nothing found.

Just did a scan with the built in security scan and nothing found (Samsung phone, Android 8.x).

Former scan were with Avira.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Using it since years. Multiple times scanned the phone with antivirus SW (on demand) and nothing found.

What kind of security scan is that? Is it new in Android after V9?

Afaik it's a Huawei specific issue at the moment. No idea about the security scan, but I believe it's enabled by default!

Just now, Kildonan said:

Huwei P20 pro running Android 10. I have BKK bank app, performed a scan and don't have that warning. 

I wonder what the OP is running.

Can you check if you have updated Signatures!

17 minutes ago, MJCM said:

I wonder what the OP is running.

Can you check if you have updated Signatures!

My phone runs Android version 11 which updated itself earlier this year.

Edited by Dmaxdan

11 minutes ago, bbko said:

OP is your phone rooted?  Apparently a rooted android is a security risk.

May I ask as I don't have an Android Phone, but I heard that many APPS on a Android phone will not start if they find out that the Phone is rooted. (For example Banking Apps)

True?

Just now, KannikaP said:

It doesn't on MY Huawei phone.

Oke lucky you.

Use google translate

https://tweakers.net/nieuws/192338/meerdere-apps-waaronder-die-van-bol-punt-com-aangezien-voor-android-malware.html

Update, 15:10: een bol.com-gebruiker die de melding heeft gekregen, bevestigt een Huawei-toestel te gebruiken. De getroffen Halifax-gebruikers lijken ook allemaal Huawei-toestellen te gebruiken

Translated:

Update, 15:10: a bol.com user who received the notification confirms that he is using a Huawei device. Affected Halifax users also all seem to use Huawei devices

32 minutes ago, clearance said:

Looks like false positive, there is a lot of links if you search for "apk:RepMalware [trj]||arep" in google.

A lot of complaints and a Huawei support thread that went silent after a month in 11/2020.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MJCM said:

but I heard that many APPS on a Android phone will not start if they find out that the Phone is rooted. (For example Banking Apps)

Banking and other financial apps yes - most others not currently an issue. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, KhunBENQ said:

A lot of complaints and a Huawei support thread that went silent after a month in 11/2020.

So a messed up Signature update and seems no way to complain and just wait and see when and if they release new updates!!

Just now, KhunBENQ said:

Ran my phone through three scanners now (built-in McAfee?, Avira and Kaspersky).

Nothing found.

Case closed for me.

Another example for security SW causing more confusion than doing good.

+1

5 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Ran my phone through three scanners now (built-in McAfee?, Avira and Kaspersky).

Nothing found.

Case closed for me.

Another example for security SW causing more confusion than doing good.

I have also scanned my phone using the Kaspersky app and it finds nothing wrong.

It's built-in security that is finding finding the "problem".

I believe that this uses Avast as it's antivirus.