Tens of thousands of drivers in Bangkok face fines for encroaching on zebra crossing

snoop1130

9 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Those are called "crosswalks", not "zebra" crossings.

Look at the picture.

Ever see any red and white zebras?

Learn to understand nature

Zebra crossing

Description

A zebra crossing or a marked crosswalk is a pedestrian crossing marked with white stripes. Normally, pedestrians are afforded precedence over vehicular traffic, although the significance of the markings may vary by jurisdiction. They are known as "zebra" crossings as the stripes resemble the coat of a zebra. Wikipedia

9 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Those are called "crosswalks", not "zebra" crossings.

Look at the picture.

Ever see any red and white zebras?

Learn to understand nature

After rereading your post, I may owe you an apology.  (I hadn't had time for my morning coffee). I think you were being funny.

Anyway, Mia Culpa.  

Can I use Latin? Or is that slang as well?

'police plan to notify' motorists.... and it will stop there!

In civilised countries motorists live in fear of traffic violations, as they affect one's licence and then the following years' insurance premiums. Here... a slap on the wrist doesn't come close!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Bangkok’s Thonglor traffic police plan to notify over 25,000 motorists and motorcyclists, who were caught by surveillance cameras encroaching on zebra crossings at the Asoke-Sukhumvit intersection, to pay their fines.

With the exception of Mercedes, and BMW drivers.........

• Haha 1

Why not Start to enforce the traffic laws.

In Europa, the is a camera System at the traffic Light.

If you cross when it is red, you are caught on camera.

Automatically, you get a fine send to your home.

It is so simple.

Even thought the investment of Business this system, will be back in a Flash.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

Just witnessed a pickup doing a 120+ through a speed camera gantry and it was all turned off!

Some work and some don't.

Even dummy's cameras work somewhat.

I know all the cameras from Sakon Nakhon to Udon Thani..  I Know when to slow down and when to drive 120 kilometers an hour like everyone else.

They need to increase the speed limits on many roads.  80 kilometers an hour is unrealistic on the newer highways.

These speed limits are from the 70's.  Actually implemented to conserve gasoline during the Iran oil embargo.

Roads back then also weren't as modern and as good as they are now in many areas. 

"A national study conducted by the Federal Highway Administration also concluded that raising or lowering the speed limit had practically no effect on actual travel speeds. Increasing a road's speed limit to the actual speed that vehicles are traveling can make roadways safer.Feb 24, 2564 BE"

https://reason.org/commentary/do-lower-speed-limits-make-roadways-safer/#:~:text=A national study conducted by,traveling can make roadways safer.

Edited by MrJ2U

56 minutes ago, Ricebarnandrooms said:

If I screwup and get stopped for no seatbelt I would rather apologize and pay 300 baht there and then rather than have my licence taken, spend the next day at a police station to get the licence back and pay a 500 baht fine. We are lucky that we have a choice when we do wrong. Imagine the cost in fines, points and insurance back home. 

All I can see in response is that I disagree that we should switch to a worldwide bribery system to run the police, which seems to be the implication of your statement.  I agree that for wealthy foreigners it's a good system, but how about for a poor person with no money?  What justice will they get? 

• Like 1

Heh. This intersection is of great concern as it becomes familiar to many tourists upon their first visit to Amazing Thailand. They stay in a Sukhumvit hotel, then proceed walk up and down the road, hitting up The Game bar, Margarita Storm, Terminal 21, some massage parlours perhaps. The clicking and clacking of many rolling suitcases is a familar sound, sipping your beer while your new tour guide cajoles you. Many Americans are shooed away from the Citibank, no you can't access your accounts here, but you're welcome to take the 200 baht ATM hit like everyone else. Heh. Anyway, I'm sure most take note of the skywalk above, and decide to take the more comfortable route there.

• Haha 2

There is a main road near to were I live and I go through them at least once a day, normally for me I will be turning left off the main road and at one time there used to be a sign permitting you to turn left if clear that went a while go, so I wait until the lights are green, The amount of people who go through in either direction on a Red light if they had cameras there they would make a fortune just from that one spot,

11 hours ago, sungod said:

I feel the pain, I've received tickets for crossing solid white lines where not doing so would have resulted in an encroaching vehicle hitting me!

Last year I got a fine for speeding (130 km/h) on an empty road. Would the road be like the Pethkasem from Petchaburi to Pranburi where 50% is speeding, I probably would not have that fine. It was 500 baht, which I happily paid... same fine in the Netherlands would have cost me my drivers license.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swampy999 said:

Plenty of red and white zebras after being attacked by a lion.

The ZEBRA crossing was first introduced in the UK in 1951 then at a later date the stupid Americans adopted the idea but used the wrong colour paint and the Thailand followed suit ????????

Stupid Americans? I suppose that Brits have a corner on intelligence. Very difficult winning an argument when one resorts to childish name calling.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

I got a ticket sent to my home address for running a red light in Phuket about 3 months ago, fine 500 baht. It was caught on camera. Something I would never do however the reason I did was because it was early in the morning on the school run with my daughter, lots of traffic. On the road we travel the traffic police direct the traffic at the lights so waved me and all the other cars waiting at the red light to go regardless as he was blocking the other route.

When the ticket came it had me plus about 8 other cars all passing through but that was because we were told to by the police..................lol 

My (Thai) wife  received a similar ticket through the post  for 500b  for speeding on a motorway  3 years ago   a clear photo was sent of the number plate of her car.........i constantly reminded her to pay the ticket  but it fell in deaf ears...........she never did pay it,    & she never heard anymore about  it 

• Like 2