Tens of thousands of drivers in Bangkok face fines for encroaching on zebra crossing

snoop1130

3 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

For that you need to first work on paying police a salary they can live on without bribes.

Plenty of other jobs out there paying the same or less  that people manage to survive on. 

What percentage of the Police Force join because they feel a moral obligation to up-hold the law ? 

9 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Those are called "crosswalks", not "zebra" crossings.

Look at the picture.

Ever see any red and white zebras?

Learn to understand nature

1. In Britain they are black and white

2. The article uses the term so what is wrong with comments doing the same?

3 hours ago, Swampy999 said:

Plenty of red and white zebras after being attacked by a lion.

The ZEBRA crossing was first introduced in the UK in 1951 then at a later date the stupid Americans adopted the idea but used the wrong colour paint and the Thailand followed suit ????????

True on name and date, but the color was initially black and white according to the UK National Archives, quote "By 1951 the black and white stripes, with Belisha beacons on either side of the road, were approved as 'Zebra' crossings; the first officially installed in Slough."

8 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I have no experience of the 'nick', I've led a sheltered life, paying my fines by bank transfer.

Is it set up as a "favourite payee" in your banking app?  ????

5 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

Just witnessed a pickup doing a 120+ through a speed camera gantry and it was all turned off!

How do you know the camera was turned off ?

Or are you talking about the speed advisory displays like they have overhead for each lane on Motorways ?..... They are not speed camera's.

Look at the picture.

You have a point, however I believe the correct terminology is pedestrian crossings!! You are correct Zebra crossings are British colloquialisms.

• Haha 1

"He also said that the deployment of AI technology is intended to ease burden on traffic police, so they don’t have to be stationed at the intersection to remind motorists and motorcyclists of the need for road discipline."

I've never seen traffic police at that intersection outside of the air-conditioned control booth, and I've certainly never seen them "reminding" anyone about "road discipline", so there doesn't appear to be much of a burden to be eased.

2 hours ago, johnarth said:

dont forget also many drivers in Thai do not have a licence so therefore do not know the road laws which kills many people

While I agree with you in principle, it not all about the law and education.

Thais are said to be a considerate and a compassionate nation, which in many cases I would say the average true Thai is.

But...

Put him/her behind a wheel or on a motorcycle something changes.

The mentality changes and they become possessed with road blindness.

Time suddenly becomes an issue, they can't wait for a space to enter a queue, they can't wait for a red light to change, they must over-take, they must speed, they cannot wait for anything...

and woe-betide someone trying to cross the road.

Look at the picture.

I mean, they don't even have "Belisha beacons" on the islands, some sleeping policemen as you approach may be an idea.

And the Red Zebra Crossing where the Doctor was tragically, killed has been made safe

The answer to making it safe, is not to chastise Motorists, or impede upon their Journey in any way.

They have removed it completely apparently, therefore making people cross the Street without the relative ( although small ) Safety of the crossing.

TIT

15 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

I got a ticket sent to my home address for running a red light in Phuket about 3 months ago, fine 500 baht. It was caught on camera. Something I would never do however the reason I did was because it was early in the morning on the school run with my daughter, lots of traffic. On the road we travel the traffic police direct the traffic at the lights so waved me and all the other cars waiting at the red light to go regardless as he was blocking the other route.

When the ticket came it had me plus about 8 other cars all passing through but that was because we were told to by the police..................lol 

i bet he got a cut of it clever move ha

5 hours ago, jaiyen said:

Brumby

Had to look that up... The Subaru Brumby Ute is a utility vehicle. It is known by the name of Brumby only in Australia. ... In the US, it is called the BRAT, which stands for Bi-drive Recreational All-Terrain Transporter. In some parts of the world, it is known as the 284, or the Shifter, Targa, and MV.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ricebarnandrooms said:

If I screwup and get stopped for no seatbelt I would rather apologize and pay 300 baht there and then rather than have my licence taken, spend the next day at a police station to get the licence back and pay a 500 baht fine. We are lucky that we have a choice when we do wrong. Imagine the cost in fines, points and insurance back home. 

Good job then that digital licences are now available, even though the police had no right to withhold your licence TIT