Tens of thousands of drivers in Bangkok face fines for encroaching on zebra crossing

snoop1130

Belisha beacons are 'same same' as zebras at zebra crossings in Thailand - non-existent. The beacons are in many countries, including with the first zebra crossings in the UK, for additional visibility of zebra crossings for motorists. Though not addressing motorist attitude, wouldn't they help increase zebra crossing awareness here?

Winton,_zebra_crossing,_.jpg

Edited by Siamwhiteelephant

17 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

When the ticket came it had me plus about 8 other cars all passing through but that was because we were told to by the police..................lol 

You should have disputed the ticket as police officers have the authority to override traffic signals or any other directions.

9 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Those are called "crosswalks", not "zebra" crossings.

Look at the picture.

Ever see any red and white zebras?

Learn to understand nature

Learn to understand English.    "Zebra crossing" is not slang. it's what those pedestrian crossings are called officially.

"Crosswalk" is daft US terminology for pedestrian crossing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, jaiyen said:

Poor little American guy wants all the world to talk like them !  They are and always will be Zebra Crossings !!  Doesnt matter what colour they are.  Do cars have different names because they are a different colour to the name of an animal ? e.g. Mustang, Brumby, Pinto, Colt, (All weird American names !)  

Call it what you like, the reason why crossings just don't work in Thailand is that Thai drivers don't look down, they look up. So crossing lights would work much better. besides most crossing that I have seen here have very little paint on them.

8 minutes ago, Siamwhiteelephant said:

Belisha beacons are 'same same' as zebras at zebra crossings in Thailand - non-existent. The beacons are in many countries, including with the first zebra crossings in the UK, for additional visibility of zebra crossings for motorists. Though not addressing motorist attitude, wouldn't they help increase zebra crossing awareness here?

Yes they would raise awareness but would fall into the "non maintained" and "not working" category soon after.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Look at the picture.

If you have a problem with the official name (not slang) of British pedestrian crossings you will throw a fit when I tell you the flashing lamps were once called Belisha beacons. Whatever you do don't  go to the US. They drive on pavements there!...????

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Look at the picture.

Crosswalks in the US, Zebra crossings in the UK, both have the same function to give safe passage for pedestrians when crossing the road. Other countries have different names and different colours for the same thing. The name used is irrelevant they all mean the same thing. And by the way Zebra Crossing is not British slang it is official terminology quoted in the highway code.

52 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

He's one of those Americans, give him a break, they don't understand the English language properly.

Side walks , crossovers , trunks , lids etc are English words at the end of the day . 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Snig27 said:

Language evolves. Much of what is now called American English is actually closer to the language spoken and written in England centuries back than the version used in the UK now, and studied for that reason. So you could argue that the bastardisation goes both ways.

I doubt that very much. The yanks have even changed the spelling of words because they aren't capable of spelling them correctly AND can't comprehend that some words with the same pronunciation BUT different meanings are spelt differently. e.g Tyre & tire. The lazy yanks use tire for both meanings. Most of their spelling takes the lazy route as it's phonetic. Most of the bastardisation they are responsible for doesn't go back to the language you say was allegedly spoken in England Centuries ago. but relates more has occurred over the past 150-200 years. I wouldn't even call what they speak American English, it's just American. It may sound like english, but it's anything but.

Edited by TigerandDog

Well, this thread certainly has been an education for me, as an American...

Lately, been catching up watching the full British TV series "Endeavour," the prequel to the "Inspector Morse" series.

And, there's a funny segment in one of the episodes that has a frumpy police commander having to do TV public service announcements showing how to use "Pelican Crossings" to help protect school children back in the UK in the 1960s....

And I was sitting there saying to myself, "Why the heck are they calling those things Pelican crossings"?  ????

Screenshot_1.jpg.37c93c68b77aad51e0406838e54c6aaa.jpg

https://endeavourfiles.tumblr.com/post/664155324021932032/if-the-pelican-can-so-can-you

And the answer is...

Screenshot_2.jpg.f72a1c934279dde77b8e30d9d9d7e5e1.jpg

But, shouldn't it be "PelicOn"???   ????

Meanwhile, on that point:

"A pelican crossing, or archaically pelicon crossing (PEdestrian LIght CONtrolled), is a type of pedestrian crossing with traffic signals for both pedestrians and vehicular traffic, activated by call buttons for pedestrians. It is found in the Isle of Man, the Channel Islands, the island of Ireland, Indonesia and Australia.[1]: rule 196 [2][3][4]Previously, it had been permitted in Great Britain, however new pelican crossings are not permitted for new installation anymore. Puffin or pedex crossings must be used instead.[5]: 142 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelican_crossing

Puffin or pedex???? Oh Lord!!!  ????

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

So, in the interest of international amity (or is that emnity?), let's see if I've got this right?

Thailand has its zebra crossings as shown in the OP:

1483583046_RedZebra.thumb.jpg.1f1df0ebfa5c7becedc4ae92c887fcdb.jpg

The UK has its zebra crossings:

Screenshot_4.jpg.be7ff2ff0b3f6aeb9e1d605bf3e3d042.jpg

And the U.S. has its pedestrian crossings!  ????

Screenshot_3.jpg.09022818841f5a6e928473e644f546f2.jpg

????

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

11 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Look at the picture.

Learn to understand nature...

You are all wrong they are called Pelican Crossings, look it up in google.

Whats-The-Difference-Between-Zebra-Puffin-And-Pelican-Crossings (1).png

Edited by JohnHans
Changed the text completely after researching the subject

32 minutes ago, JohnHans said:

You are all wrong they are called Pelican Crossings, look it up in google.

"You say either and I say either,

You say neither and I say neither

Either, either neither, neither

Let's call the whole thing off.

You like potato and I like potahto

You like tomato and I like tomahto

Potato, potahto, tomato, tomahto.

Let's call the whole thing off."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you read the article & look at the picture you will find this is about encroachment on Zebra

crossings not going through a red light.

The classic one is Nana & Sukhumvit where the lights turn red, green for pedestrians & at least one or 2 cars go straight through even with 1 or 2 gendarmes in their elevated box.

Never be first away at the lights walking or driving in Thailand & keep an eye out for concrete trucks.

It can be treminal

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jaiyen said:

Poor little American guy wants all the world to talk like them !  They are and always will be Zebra Crossings !!  Doesnt matter what colour they are.  Do cars have different names because they are a different colour to the name of an animal ? e.g. Mustang, Brumby, Pinto, Colt, (All weird American names !)  

we Yanks are just trying to remedy all the weird British names lol. zebra crossings belong in the Serengeti, you Brits were being a little too clever with that one, heheh.

what's a Brumby? never heard of that one.

Zebra crossings or crosswalks, or pedestrian crossings, what ever!

In the UK words like wind screen, bonnet, boot. In Canada and other places

Windshield , Hood, and trunk. I always say, are you speaking British or English?

In the eastern USA I heard,  see ment, for cement. ruff for roof, and tile, for towel.

so some times when you are in a different part of the world people will say different

pronunciations for the same words as well. It is a funny world after all, except for this

long running COVID pandemic.

The LAZY Thai police love these cameras that regularly make mistakes. I have never in all my years of driving in the Kingdom seen a copy pull someone over for a traffic infraction. I've only seen them do it at their stupid checkpoints that can only catch low-hanging fruit. 

As long as the Thai police don't actually police and pull people over for traffic infraction, the roads will remain the least safe

in the world. 

• Like 1