Tens of thousands of drivers in Bangkok face fines for encroaching on zebra crossing

snoop1130

11 hours ago, sungod said:

And how about the red light runners country wide?

A huge problem everywhere, but unless Thailand adopts red light cameras and issues very heavy fines to offenders, it will be impossible to stop. You can't catch them. People parked at red lights are a lot easier to fine.

53 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

My standard response to this nonsense is, let's work on the taking of bribes before we try to tackle traffic violations.

If I screwup and get stopped for no seatbelt I would rather apologize and pay 300 baht there and then rather than have my licence taken, spend the next day at a police station to get the licence back and pay a 500 baht fine. We are lucky that we have a choice when we do wrong. Imagine the cost in fines, points and insurance back home. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Ricebarnandrooms said:

If I screwup and get stopped for no seatbelt I would rather apologize and pay 300 baht there and then rather than have my licence taken, spend the next day at a police station to get the licence back and pay a 500 baht fine. We are lucky that we have a choice when we do wrong. Imagine the cost in fines, points and insurance back home. 

Sure, time is money, so it makes a lot of sense to pay on the spot... especially if you are traveling and far from home. Putting your trip on hold to pay at a local police station the next day if caught at night could become quite expensive.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Bangkok’s Thonglor traffic police plan to notify over 25,000 motorists and motorcyclists, who were caught by surveillance cameras encroaching on zebra crossings at the Asoke-Sukhumvit intersection, to pay their fines.

One crossing point ..... just shows you the state of Thai roads.

• Like 1

I do try to drive within the law, but there has been a couple of times, at the same junction, I drove straight through a red light, silly me I was looking and concentrating at the road ahead, and not 5mtrs up in the air where the lights were. But hey I will never ever get a ticket sent to me, for any traffic violation, my postman NEVER delivers stuff all !