Calls for action at crossroads after two 14 year boys killed on three person motorcycle

webfact

IMO, the pick up driver was at fault by excess speed and failure to be alert at the crossroads, as the crash site off road would indicate. There is little doubt in my mind that two boys killed and one older motorbike driver near death's door in hospital is not representative of a low-speed crash caused by the motorbike driver exiting the crossroads.  Yes, it's debatable - I wasn't there - and whatever, my sympathy goes out to the deceased's family. 

13 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"No one was 31 years of age..."

What do you mean "no one was 31..."?  The rider of the bike was 31, according to the report.

Read what I responded to, that is exactly what I said.

Perhaps I should have put a fullstop or exclamation mark between No. and    One was 31, and in charge of said bike.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Rarely, do the riders look for traffic when entering a roadway.....14 year old kids would have zero idea of road safety....their parents would never have taught them.....

"their parents would never have taught them".

Neither would anyone else, no time no knowledge.

If true by the truck driver they came out from a side Soi he didn't have time to stop? 

How any sane person "This is Thailand " believes that since they are on a bike just come out never look roll the dice against kilos of steel and expect others to watch out for them? 

Then you got other locals who think putting more lighting will fix the problem?  I think for us westerner what is the problem! 

1 hour ago, HarrySeaman said:

Motorbikes are usually well maintained, except for the lights, here in Thailand.  Many on the road are over 20 years old and running well.  

Turning left when emerging from a side street without checking for oncoming traffic is normal here, it is assumed that anyone approaching will slow down or stop for you.  

Can't agree on the "usually well maintained" bit. Bald, poorly inflated tyres are commonplace. Apart from my wife's bike and my own, most of the bikes belonging to friends and family are deathtraps. Front brake calipers removed because they've seized up. Brake pads worn down to the metal backing. No brake fluid. Bits and pieces tied on with string. No mirrors. In many cases, I've repaired faults only for them to recur some time later. As far as friends and family are concerned, it's not a case of being unable to afford repairs, more that they don't seem to realise that something's wrong.

As for "turning left when emerging from a side street" - how much of that might be due to the 'give way to the left' rule-of-the-road that I'm sure many road users are aware of? When you're approaching that side turning, it's on YOUR left so perhaps they feel they have RoW. Many seem to forget the next bit that says "provided that at any junction where a main road intersects a secondary road, the conveyance driving on the main road has the right to pass first". Maybe many don't appreciate that the four-lane highway they're joining from a single-track dirt road is classed as a "main road".

Edited by MartinL

8 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Rarely, do the riders look for traffic when entering a roadway.....14 year old kids would have zero idea of road safety....their parents would never have taught them.....

Thought the driver was 31....????

• Like 2

Iff you see the damage to the M Bike and car,, how fast must the have driven,,, 120-130km!!

The people on the motorbike did not see the race car coming and have no chance. 

How can you make a road safe iff all people drive like its a circuit.  

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

Just now, TheScience said:

The only thing newsworthy about this tragedy is it's yet another senseless death days after the doctor was killed.

And a dozen others.

I'm glad Prayut is all over these road problems. WHEW...I thought nothing was going to get done...

He was all over it for New Year, what happened.....?  ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kamahele said:

There are good traffic laws on the books for most violations, but there has to be responsible enforcement of those laws all of the time so the population drive more responsibly in my opinion. A better trained, paid and equipped police force would be a good start.

Absolutely +3

And jail time. No fines.

• Like 2