Calls for action at crossroads after two 14 year boys killed on three person motorcycle

webfact

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Who's going to pay for it....?

Sell a few subs or fighters

All you need to do is train up a national police traffic force.

They can sit in local jails. The ones that have done some really stupid siht can go to prison.

In three years all the traffic drama will be down 80%. Guaranteed.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, MJCM said:

I agree with your statement and the statement of @spidermike007 one.

But you are 2 lane road, a motobike comes out a side road without looking to the right or left before coming onto the main road and there is a car that is coming straight ahead at you from the other direction!

There is nothing much you can do except SLAM the brakes and hopefully you can brake in time and don't hit anything. So yes we are all wary, but IMHO just hope you are lucky when you encounter this and have an escape route!!

:wai:

I get cars pulling out in front of me when I'm on my bike or on my scoot on narrow roads it goes both ways. 

• Like 1

There are no 3 person bikes. Too many people on bike, can not it is Thai law 

Probably no lights on, on bike. Should, it is Thai law.

Wearing helmets? Probably not, but It is Thai law.

Coming into the wrong site of the road, you cant, it is Thai law.

DId they do a blood test on driver, maybe he was  drunk. Can not it is Thai  law

Of course the crossing is to blame, not!

• Like 1

Please do not forget the fools that will drive on the wrong side of a highway, road or footpath to avoid going to a u-turn point just up the road.

Stupid as all get out.

Look right, left. right, left and keep looking because these skilled vehicle operators are just trying new ways to cause mahem every chance they can get.

Edited by sherwood
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, MJCM said:

I agree with your statement and the statement of @spidermike007 one.

But you are 2 lane road, a motobike comes out a side road without looking to the right or left before coming onto the main road and there is a car that is coming straight ahead at you from the other direction!

There is nothing much you can do except SLAM the brakes and hopefully you can brake in time and don't hit anything. So yes we are all wary, but IMHO just hope you are lucky when you encounter this and have an escape route!!

:wai:

A great deal of caution while driving here should be our primary survival instinct and mechanism. We owe it to ourselves, our families and our bodies, to exercise caution on the roads here. Always. 

Not looking both ways carefully, while entering any road, much less a main highway, is stupid, reckless and proof of the theory of evolution. Some of us are more fit for survival, than others. 

• Like 2

Simply ban all Thai drivers, problem solved. Let them back on the road when they have passed a realistic driving test after many lessons and when they respect other road users and understannd that they are not No.1 . They also have to understand that been overtaken by other road users in no way means they are losing face. Nobody gives a dam. On Thailand roads the biggest vehicle appears to have priority and pedestrians being the smallest have no priority - This way of thinking needs reversing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fittobethaied said:

The guy on the motorbike made the typical "Buddha turn" without looking to see if a vehicle was approaching. I see it every day, and it can be a death sentence.

They will be re-incarnated in 7-10 days.

No biggie.

11 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Rarely, do the riders look for traffic when entering a roadway.....14 year old kids would have zero idea of road safety....their parents would never have taught them.....

Exactly this.... 

I very nearly cleaned out two lads on a motorcycle today... not an uncommon occurrence, but today was closer than normal.... 

Driving along a Pattanakarn road (3 lanes each direction), I, in the right most lane, slowed as I approached a U-Turn... 4 or 5 cars were making their U-turn into the side of the road I am on.

A van on the left had already stopped to allow the cars to u-turn in front of him.

As the last car in the u-turning queue had just completed his turn I was still approaching and hadn’t come to a complete halt... probably doing about 20kmh and was about to continue ahead...

Suddenly a motorcycle, 2 lads, no helmets, shot out from in front of the van 3m ahead of me to my left, across the front of me...  they were turning right... they’d just shot across without looking or checking.

I didn’t see them at all...  had I been going a few kmh faster I may well have ended up hitting them and there was nothing I could have done to prevent it...   Impact would have been relatively minor.. with a helmet they’d have been thrown off, perhaps a break here or there and a couple of bruises and thats about it.. but they didn’t have helmets, they may well have been killed... 

Dash-cams !!!....   they’re essential.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, bbko said:

Is there some genetic condition that makes Thais are unable to turn their head left or right when driving?

It really is a strange one.... 

It was discussion this last night with a friend - I can’t explain it, but when trying to come up with an explanation for the utterly profound and idiotic act of pulling into a street and not looking for traffic I can only come up with the following explanation....    

...  Driving and riding in Thailand is like skiing in that people are responsible for whats in front of them - that is to say the 120 degrees field of vision on front of them - IF there is nothing in that field of vision, they are good to go, anyone behind them has to worry about whats in front of them.... 

Thus... there seems to be this inane believe that when pulling into a road (particularly when turning left and joining traffic), if they don’t look back to check its clear, then its either clear or the oncoming person is the one who is responsible not to hit you.....  

Mind-numbing stuff !!!

• Like 1

Wow, Thailand is amazing!  Did some company build a 3 person motorcycle?

I have seen many with 3 or 4 or 5 people, adults and children mix like the post  by

Meat Pie 47, but only in Thailand have I seen more than 2 people on a motorcycle.

I have had lots of young driver on motorcycles cut me off, when I have driven in

Thailand, so I wonder who cut off who in this accident?

19 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Rarely, do the riders look for traffic when entering a roadway.....14 year old kids would have zero idea of road safety....their parents would never have taught them.....

The driver was 31 , did this happen at night, maybe no lights on either vehicle and speed of the pickup seems excessive , how many times do you see bikes coming out on the left and running against the traffic, it’s normal in Thailand ,and I’ve seen plenty with no lights on

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TheScience said:

Sell a few subs or fighters

All you need to do is train up a national police traffic force.

They can sit in local jails. The ones that have done some really stupid siht can go to prison.

In three years all the traffic drama will be down 80%. Guaranteed.

They haven't got any subs or fighters to sell.

Now who is going to pay for it....?