Calls for action at crossroads after two 14 year boys killed on three person motorcycle

webfact

2 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Steven, have you started on the <deleted> already?

????

Without wanting to sound patronising, I must say that I find it refreshing for somebody to simply admit to a trivial error, far too many people struggle to do that, so whatever he may be on or not on, long may it continue.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, steven100 said:

opened a bottle 10 minutes ago .....  Lol

Im pretty sure it would not affect you that fast.  Just a small error i mix up left and right quite often when talking. But not when looking ???? that would be fatal.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MartinL said:

Can't agree on the "usually well maintained" bit. Bald, poorly inflated tyres are commonplace. Apart from my wife's bike and my own, most of the bikes belonging to friends and family are deathtraps. Front brake calipers removed because they've seized up. Brake pads worn down to the metal backing. No brake fluid. Bits and pieces tied on with string. No mirrors. In many cases, I've repaired faults only for them to recur some time later. As far as friends and family are concerned, it's not a case of being unable to afford repairs, more that they don't seem to realise that something's wrong.

Exactly the opposite of my wife's family.  Yes, I see some poorly maintained motorcycles in my wife's home town but the vast majority are in good running condition.

Actually the poorly inflated tires comment hits home with me.  I have yet to buy an inner tube for my Honda Wave that would stay inflated for more than about a week or two.  I even added a "cigar lighter socket" to my motorcycle so I could use one of the 12V tire inflators that are normally used for auto tires, but of course the one I bought was a piece of junk.  It was supposed to go to 300 psi but would quit working at a pressure of about 25 psi.  I threw it away and am looking for a new and better one.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, robblok said:

Im pretty sure it would not affect you that fast.  Just a small error i mix up left and right quite often when talking. But not when looking ???? that would be fatal.

Hey robblok , you are from the Netherlands , you are entitled to mix up words in English innit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Thunglom said:

Action on crossroads, action on pedestrian crossings - the media (and authorities" are playing back-a-mole with road safety.

what is needed is a complete holistic  road safety policy.

It also needs a complete revamp of the RTP from the very top to the very bottom and getting them out of their a/c offices to do the job that they are paid to do.

I am sure that back in May or June 2014, the current PM stated clearly that the top priorities were a clean up for the RTP and the military and stopping corruption.

Unless I have been asleep for all of that time nothing seems to have changed for the better, only for the worse.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

Of course he did'nt have time to stop, he was driving like a 'bat out of hell'  the impact removed the m/c engine.

The problem is so much bigger and goes so much deeper than anyone of us can discuss! From the story it isn't surprising driving here so much isn't taught because the leaders here believe driving is a

"Right" and not a " Privilege"  that translate in helping Thais get a license as easy and fast as possible.

From the story and picture no only was the driving exceeding the speed limit ( to all of us here ) but for a Thai there is something never taught because they don't know it exist?  "  adjust your driving to the conditions "  here there are no set standards of road speed for specific roads then even if they do there isn't any enforcement 0! so it is pedal to the medal! Because of lack of education and enforcement Thais all think they can avoid the obstructions in this case the driver in this case instead of braking heading straight into the impact try to avoid the bike otherwise it wouldn't be in the ditch!

If the police were actually trained all one has to do is look at the marks cause by the bike and truck can easily determine who is alive is lying? 

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

There's lots of bumps in roads already where some crooked companies have been paid to do a new road surface. 

Outside a lot of the schools in Kamphaeng Phet province there are rumble strips, a pedestrian crossing for the school kids  and a 50kph speed limit. Many is the time I slowed down during school entry and exit times, turned my 4 way flashers on and still there are a few pillocks who just HAVE to overtake me, then they turn off perhaps 1km or less down the road.

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Wrong post.   :sorry:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gottfrid said:
23 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

And again, a poster who does not read the OP!   One, legal age, rider had an accident with two 14-year old passengers.

Thanks for the arrogant reply. I apologize deeply for missing that. Happy now?

Nothing arrogant about my pointing out that you hadn't read the OP before your commenting and having a completely unjustified go at the two dead boys.   The "arrogance", to use your choice of words, was actually from you. 

On 1/27/2022 at 7:09 AM, webfact said:

that the three on the bike came out of a side turning into his path and he was unable to brake in time. 

Same everywhere, everyday, doubt he even had a licence, helmets or insurance must have left the lucky amulet at home.

2 hours ago, Artisi said:

And the reason is? 

In Thailand traffic should drive on the left, which means that if you’re standing on the pavement the oncoming traffic nearest to you would approach from your right.

In countries where you drive on the right the advice is for pedestrians to look L-R-L, where you drive on the left it’s R-L-R.

Edited by Blue Muton
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

t also needs a complete revamp of the RTP from the very top to the very bottom and getting them out of their a/c offices to do the job that they are paid to do.

That is part of the 5 Es of these System - and what I meant by "holistic"

You can't address road safety in Thailand by dealing with issues one at a time.

Edited by Thunglom
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

In Thailand traffic should drive on the left, which means that if you’re standing on the pavement the oncoming traffic nearest to you would approach from your right.

In countries where you drive on the right the advice is for pedestrians to look L-R-L, where you drive on the left it’s R-L-R.

Yes you are correct about where the traffic is, but completely wrong instruction - - you look left first - the direction of least danger, then look right before you step-out into the traffic on your right, and then left again as you step out. 

Expect Thailand of course as the traffic can come from any direction, left or right or behind you on the footpath. 

• Like 2

On 1/27/2022 at 7:09 AM, webfact said:

Thanakorn, 28, who was driving the pick-up said that the three on the bike came out of a side turning into his path and he was unable to brake in time. 

Yeah, most Thai motorcycle drivers will pull onto the road without even a glance to see if traffic is coming.  I wonder how many thousands are killed that way each year?

8 hours ago, Artisi said:

Yes you are correct about where the traffic is, but completely wrong instruction - - you look left first - the direction of least danger, then look right before you step-out into the traffic on your right, and then left again as you step out. 

Expect Thailand of course as the traffic can come from any direction, left or right or behind you on the footpath. 

Zzzzzzzzzz you’re wrong, ‘m bored with you now, bye.

18 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Nothing arrogant about my pointing out that you hadn't read the OP before your commenting and having a completely unjustified go at the two dead boys.   The "arrogance", to use your choice of words, was actually from you. 

Compared to others that made me aware of that, it was. Anyway, up to you. Have a great day!

I have learned to accept that at least 20,000 + people will continue to die on Thai roads every single year, the majority of them (75%-80%) being on motorbikes.

Now I could assume that the deaths were caused from the riders being drunk, speeding, not wearing helmets, and riding bikes not road worthy for the road, did I mention under aged unlicensed riders.

The fact is that countless lives will continue to die on Thai roads unnecessarily because of a police force that doesn't care, let alone a government that only cares about enforcing face masks for a virus.

The other 25%-30% of deaths will be from motor vehicle collisions, big trucks having "break failure" etc etc.

To me, the whole blame lay on the government and the police force in particular, why just the other day I did a 12 hour drive and the amount of speeding bikes, cars, trucks passing me was unbelievable, I was sitting on 100-110kmh, they were mostly doing 130 + and tail gating.

I didn't see any police on the roads from 8.30am to 8.30pm, apart for some cops preparing for some VIP's to pass by at one particular point, no speed cameras, just lots of fake signs stating such, add to that, that there is no license point system to penalise drivers/riders for speeding or even suspend/cancel licenses or registrations for non payment of fines is appalling, but hey if the Thai's continue to accept it, then the deaths will continue.

Did I mention how many cars I saw without license plates ?

That said, I have accepted it, but do my utmost best to keep out of their ways and have eyes, left, right, centre and behind.

On 1/28/2022 at 8:24 AM, Blue Muton said:

Eyes right,
Eyes left,
Eyes right again.
If the road is clear,
Quick march—walk straight across.

This was the RoSPA mantra up until the 1970s.

It was dropped in favour of Greencross......

1. THINK! First find the safest place to cross
  2. STOP! Stand on the pavement near the kerb
  3. USE YOUR EYES AND EARS! Look all around for traffic and listen
  4. WAIT UNTIL IT IS SAFE TO CROSS! If traffic is coming, let it pass
  5. LOOK AND LISTEN! When it is safe, go straight across the road – do not run
  6. ARRIVE ALIVE! Keep looking and listening while you cross.

one of the reasons for this is demonstrated on this thread - people either forgot it or got it the wrong way round.

PS - actor David Prowse who played Green Cross also played Darth Vadar (with his West Country accent overdubbed)

Edited by Thunglom

19 hours ago, Artisi said:

Eyes right,
Eyes left,
Eyes right again.
If the road is clear,

THINK! First find the safest place to cross

STOP! Stand on the pavement near the kerb

USE YOUR EYES AND EARS! Look all around for traffic and listen

WAIT UNTIL IT IS SAFE TO CROSS! If traffic is coming, let it pass

LOOK AND LISTEN! When it is safe, go straight across the road – do not run

ARRIVE ALIVE! Keep looking and listening while you cross.

one of the reasons for this is demonstrated by your good self - people either forgot it or got it the wrong way round.

PS - actor David Prowse who played Green Cross also played Darth Vadar (with his West Country accent overdubbed)

1 hour ago, Thunglom said:

Eyes right,
Eyes left,
Eyes right again.
If the road is clear,

1. THINK! First find the safest place to cross
  2. STOP! Stand on the pavement near the kerb
  3. USE YOUR EYES AND EARS! Look all around for traffic and listen
  4. WAIT UNTIL IT IS SAFE TO CROSS! If traffic is coming, let it pass
  5. LOOK AND LISTEN! When it is safe, go straight across the road – do not run
  6. ARRIVE ALIVE! Keep looking and listening while you cross.

one of the reasons for this is demonstrated on this thread - people either forgot it or got it the wrong way round.

Try telling that to the guy who says we're wrong, he clearly knows more about it than the rest of us put, RoSPA, Tufty, NHTSA et al together!

Perhaps he needs pointing to some reading material....

https://www.osv.ltd.uk/green-cross-code/    (UK)

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.gov/files/811026.pdf    (US)

59 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

Try telling that to the guy who says we're wrong, he clearly knows more about it than the rest of us put, RoSPA, Tufty, NHTSA et al together!

Perhaps he needs pointing to some reading material....

https://www.osv.ltd.uk/green-cross-code/    (UK)

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.gov/files/811026.pdf    (US)

probably won't need to if that's how he crosses the road.

• Haha 1