Opinion: It is time we end this pandemic

webfact

Was in thailand last year the airport welcome or not welcome is disgraceful been in and out of several airport in spain is normal except for masks.

The devastation in bankok and more so in pattaya is far worst than I have seen anywhere I think the junta have broken the will of the people.

But some business is doing well, low paid manufacturing is this a chosen replacement for hospitality & entertainment businesses.

We open up a week ago after a long 2 years, being to a resturaunt and bar but the difference in people smiling and relaxed after a week is amazing, still a mask mandate for 3 more weeks then its up to you by the summer it will be all forgotten.

Thailand's omicrom is behaving different to other parts of the world constant under 10k unbelievable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daveAustin said:

Opinion: It is time we end this pandemic

Can have all the opinion you want, but this scenario of total control is paradise for an authoritarian government. Don’t expect any big changes soon. 

That's going to be a big issue in many places. Trying to roll back all those incredible previously undreamt of powers that various governments & police forces & immigration & border officials have been given. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, law ling said:

Agree with the OP to a large extent, but it doesn't address the oft-sited issue that out-of-control cases will result in some becoming very sick .... and hospitals becoming over-whelmed - or am I just believing government propaganda?

yes you are believing to much of the gossip, not just here, but media everywhere. now that "in Thailand and many other places" anyone who wants to be vaccinated, can be vaccinated. So what's left, is the people "for whatever reason" do not want to be vaccinated. Those who are vaccinated, have very little to fear of getting very sick or dying.  Not, not, not saying you might not get infected, and especially with the latest variant, you have no symptoms, or something like a mild cold. Do we really want to keep this up for another year, two years or 3 years, so we don't "come down" with something equivalent to a mild cold?  What will be left of society, and private companies, those who don't have a job now, and can't get one in this environment.

Covid is certainly going to be endemic world-wide, this is unstoppable. And getting to the exact measurement of declaring it endemic, is more a social-political point, that really doesn't matter much. Now that Covid is near or at the point of being 100% of current cases, to me, we're already there.

• Like 1

My wife and I recently had covid. It was like a bad head cold and fever similar to the flu. It wasn't good. We were both fully vaccinated. 

We tried to report that we had tested positive through three different methods, none of which we were able to contact anyone. We simply gave up! 

I believe that the pandemic is currently far worse than the published numbers indicate. How much worse? Pick a number. Ten times worse? It's not going to get any better anytime soon. 

It's time we end the pandemic? Right...good luck. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, TheScience said:

I really don't think the government is the least bit concerned about tourists - especially now as high season booking is done. The covid issue is domestic.

The government is ever more dysfunctional, unstable and rumors are swirling...

I used to think the human tragedy that is the Philippines was the new model for Thailand but I'm coming around to the idea it will be a blend of Myanmar authoritarianism, Philippine crony capitalism and vertical markets overlaid by a Chinese social credit system for the city folk. Those in the countryside will simply be forgotten left to pay tribute in rice, vegetables and meat.

I agee, good post...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

What rumours are those ? I do love a bit of scandal and gossip ????

It's everywhere in the alternative press.

Parliament can't reach quorum, Prayrut's hand is weakening, infighting, Prompow has left the party. Taking a few dozen MPS with him.

The *elite* left with few options probably just use the typical means at military's disposal to ensure stability for the .01%

Edited by TheScience

9 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

Well the BMA will be happy, they have been trying to clear the footpaths for years with little success.

I knew it! I just knew! It's all a commie leftist radical plot to grow weeds everywhere ... hahahaha ????????????????

9 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

Well the BMA will be happy, they have been trying to clear the footpaths for years with little success.

That's where the premise of the OP article is wrong, or at least overstated to a significant extent.

I live in that area and have for years. The BMA and the national government, well before COVID came along, had been on a campaign to "clean up" the various major street sidewalks, and limiting and pushing the vendors that once used them off into other places.

No doubt, the loss of tourists due to COVID has worsened the economic plight of many street vendors and small business people. But when it comes to the sidewalks in BKK, the governments came well in advance of the pandemic.

14 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

The lunacy of getting on the flight being treated like a criminal as they searched for things to deny you entry to get on the flight. the lunacy of having about 20 people checking you and directing you at the other end

In line with what the officials and rules are saying - do not come to Thailand.

• Like 1

From Johns Hopkins Jan. 27 situation update on COVID:

"The WHO COVID-19 Dashboard reports 357 million cumulative cases and 5.61 million deaths worldwide as of January 26. Global weekly incidence increased again last week, up 11.03% over the previous week. This is the 14th consecutive week of increasing weekly incidence, setting another new record with 22.77 million new cases."

While there is optimism among some public health experts that the rapid rise and fall of the Omicron surge in some regions could usher in an end to the pandemic, the WHO determined last week that the COVID-19 pandemic continues to constitute a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC). Other experts warn that as long as the threat of new variants exists, calls for reaching COVID-19 endemicity are misguided.

Meanwhile, global weekly mortality increased for the third week, up 8.49% from the previous week with 53,935 total deaths."

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rwill said:

You can't 'end' a pandemic.  It either exists or does not.  You can choose to accept it as part of normal life though.  Like we have done with influenza.

The WHO defines pandemics, epidemics, and endemics based on a disease's rate of spread. Thus, the difference between an epidemic and a pandemic isn't in the severity of the disease, but the degree to which it has spread.

A pandemic cuts across international boundaries, as opposed to regional epidemics. This wide geographical reach is what makes pandemics lead to large-scale social disruption, economic loss, and general hardship.

It's important to note that a once-declared epidemic can progress into pandemic status. While an epidemic is large, it is also generally contained or expected in its spread, while a pandemic is international and out of control.

Epidemic, Endemic, Pandemic: What are the Differences? | Columbia Public Health

25 years ago I read that HIV was endemic in Swaziland, which I took to mean it was pretty much everywhere and positive steps needed to be taken to avoid getting it. 

8 hours ago, pegman said:

I'm sure from your tone that you are very proud that the U.K. was a complete basket case dealing with the COVID. More deaths per cap than nearly any other industrial country. Where the class system meant rules applied for the general public but not for their betters like Boris. Sounds like you should have stayed there.

I am sure Mr Coleman is not often accused of being a supporter of the British class system. 

If he is, then I bet he keeps quiet about it when he goes to watch his football team. 

Pandemic is partly psychological and political. Note I didn't say completely, just partly. However many countries seem to be normalizing soon. Many, if not most, people just don't care that much anymore. They have had omicron and/or know of many others and have seen it is not a big deal worth of wasting any more time. When that happens the wind shifts quickly. I expect Europe to move mostly to endemicity at least by spring or summer depending on the country. In Asia it might take a year or two still, in China perhaps up to five years.

Sure, there might be some setbacks. I never expected it to end like with a knife cut, rather like two steps forward and one back. While there might come new variants they are most likely easier to deal with than the previous waves without large scale vaccination.

Edited by rabang