Dashcam SD card

lelapin

I am having problems with the recording on my dashcam's SD card and have tried various things to sort it out including reformatting the card. I have seen on several websites that they recommend doing this every 3-4 weeks which I have never done in the past.

I am planning to get a new card and wonder what make readers would recommend and where to get it in Pattaya.

I remove the card about once every couple of weeks and download it to my MacBook , I then put it back in the camera, go to menu, check all the settings and go to re format. This will give a warning that all info will be removed and card is then ready to start recording again. 
After viewing the recordings I then delete all that are just boring which thankfully most are, the only important one is two minutes before and including the accident.

You can get an SD card in any camera or phone shop , must be class 10 for quality.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PJPom said:

I remove the card about once every couple of weeks and download it to my MacBook , I then put it back in the camera, go to menu, check all the settings and go to re format. This will give a warning that all info will be removed and card is then ready to start recording again. 
After viewing the recordings I then delete all that are just boring which thankfully most are, the only important one is two minutes before and including the accident.

You can get an SD card in any camera or phone shop , must be class 10 for quality.

My card, or to be more exact, my camera, records for only five minutes and then begins the recording again. I can't see any reason to record longer. Actually, a minute or two would be enough to record any accident.

• Like 1

My SD card went South after having been installed in my Taiwanese-made PapaGo2 dash camera   since 2014. An alarm went off; I removed the card and saw, that the last recording was toast. 

A new adaptor and a 32GB card solved the problem for little money solved the problem and this camera, regretfully no longer in production, continues to provide excellent supervision of what happens in front of my car for the last six hours of my trips. 

Be careful to buy an original SD card, and not a "me-too" rip off / copy! Industry sources have said before that some 60% of SD cards in circulation aren't "originals", which can mean showing way higher capacity than actually available (your computer will show you what the label shows, but that's not necessary the actual capacity), or low-quality gear in different clothings (etc. pp.). One way of making sure that at least the capacity is correct is to use a very small Windows app called "H2testw.exe". Google it, should be downloadable for free and is a standalone app (no installation). It writes a pattern to the SD card and subsequently reads it back, to see if all that was written is there - very simple, but very effective. What can happen is that some circuitry in the SD card is compromised, so that writing is never a problem, but anything that's outside the _actual_ capacity (say 8 GB) gets written inside the 8 GB, and thus overwrites what's already there. You won't notice until you're looking for a video/images that you know should be there, and they're not...

On 1/29/2022 at 12:47 AM, HauptmannUK said:

We occasionally get asked to supply and fit dashcams here in the UK. We supply NextBase dashcams and use either NextBase SD cards or Samsung PRO Endurance cards.  The Samsungs work fine and are about 50% cheaper than NextBase.

Nextbase recommended I use Sandisk 32 gb (ultra I think) which wasn’t expensive here and fixed a problem I had. I have the duo model but found even after I got nextbase themselves  to replace the internal battery it didn’t last long . I think the heat in Thailand kills it ? But it’s only really a backup for when not connected to the car battery so not a practical problem that stops it working ordinarily. 

The point of having an internal battery in the DashCam is to close down and save the last file after switching off the ignition.

The cam works OK without a battery but if you have an accident that cuts the power to the cam, the last file, the important one will be lost. 

Have a whole lot of information on one of my previous posts:-  https://aseannow.com/topic/801396-carcam-movie-files-corruptunplayable/

Another point about SD cards, not all cards are the same and some cards will not work with some cameras. Check which card you camera recommends and get the biggest available.

You may only need to capture the last few minutes before an accident, but if you have a small capacity card it will be over-written many time and these card do have a finite number of over-write before they start to fail. 

A large capacity card will be over-written much less and last longer. 

• Like 2