Yellow house book requires long term visa

16 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I understand 'empty / unused' land is at a higher rate, but just say you're farming, and you avoid the higher rate.  It's all a bit of a joke.

Yer, that was either brought that in a short while ago----or maybe they decided to enforce it more vigorously, Because all the empty land around where I am living has suddenly been turned into Banana  orchards.

The owners all rushed out and planted tiny banana trees (that cost nothing) or just a branch from a Banana tree stuck in the ground.

Tax exempt.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

What's the requirements for Pattaya City Hall for a condo yellow book? BTW they only have one list

I don't know.

The problem is that somebody walks in and ask for one they just hand over the same list every time.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

Yer, that was either brought that in a short while ago----or maybe they decided to enforce it more vigorously, Because all the empty land around where I am living has suddenly been turned into Banana  orchards.

The owners all rushed out and planted tiny banana trees (that cost nothing) or just a branch from a Banana tree stuck in the ground.

Tax exempt.

It's not just planting, you need to have registered farmer with relevant documents to do it too, some enterprising companies are popping up to manage this now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Its an ongoing discussion as to the usefulness of yellow book/pink ID.

Personally I have found it very useful, others report different.

I registered at my hospital some years ago with the pink card. When the Mor Phrom app was introduced the hospital registered me on the app and I had my first vaccination about 9am the morning the rollout started.

Of course there are those that would think that wasn't particularly useful.

Since well before pink cards came about I have been using the free mobile health service on the back of the yellow book.

Usefulness is in the eye of the beholder.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I registered at my hospital some years ago with the pink card. When the Mor Phrom app was introduced the hospital registered me on the app and I had my first vaccination about 9am the morning the rollout started.

Of course there are those that would think that wasn't particularly useful.

Since well before pink cards came about I have been using the free mobile health service on the back of the yellow book.

Usefulness is in the eye of the beholder.

I did the same, vaccinated on day one of the rollout, using pink ID

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

A blue house book for a condo owned by foreigner does not have their name in and they cannot be registered in it. They get a yellow house tied to the blue house book as the owner of the condo that has their name in it.

God that's convoluted even for here...

16 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

certainly not easy, Pattaya City Hall wants a notorised passport + you have to drag 2 Thais along who have blue books

My Amphoe boss wanted and got a 1 thousand Baht bribe for my yellow book,

he wasn't gonna do it for less

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

My Amphoe boss wanted and got a 1 thousand Baht bribe for my yellow book,

he wasn't gonna do it for less

My Amphoe boss said that we must be married to get a Yellow Book, totally wrong but who am I to argue. Only lived here 12 years.

• Like 1

Sorry but have been out.

I have a chanote and a bill of sale showing I own the condo.  I have a MoFA notorised copy of my passport.  If they need a specific document I am willing to obtain it.

No blue book has been issued - as no-one is yet living in the place.  Do I first need to ask for a blue book with no name?  Does the blue book of the former owner get transferred with his name deleted or is a new blue book issued?

Is there a regulation passed and approved by a higher authority than the amphur about yellow books or is it a matter of negotiating with whatever the local authority decides it wants?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thaibook said:

Sorry but have been out.

I have a chanote and a bill of sale showing I own the condo.  I have a MoFA notorised copy of my passport.  If they need a specific document I am willing to obtain it.

No blue book has been issued - as no-one is yet living in the place.  Do I first need to ask for a blue book with no name?  Does the blue book of the former owner get transferred with his name deleted or is a new blue book issued?

Is there a regulation passed and approved by a higher authority than the amphur about yellow books or is it a matter of negotiating with whatever the local authority decides it wants?

A chanote ... hmm.  Thought they were just issued for land.  Pleading total ignorance with condo purchases.

Good Luck with the Blue & yellow books.

From what I understand the blue book (for Thais) is a certificate of residency, it is not related to ownership. 

If someone sells a condo that is rented and the same tenant remains in situ there is no cause to have a new blue book. 

If someone living in a condo sells it, moves out and the new owner moves in he now becomes the chao bahn and so is entered into the blue book.  But what happens to the physical blue book?  Does the former owner hand it over to the new owner, is a new one issued and the old one cancelled, is a new one issued only when the old is cancelled?

Does the chao bahn have particular resonsibilities or privilidges?  If a farang buys a new condo the blue book will have no name and say the amphur does not wish to issue a yellow book, there is no chao bahn for the condo, does this matter?

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That list is for those that are wanting a yellow house book tied to a blue house book that is not one for a condo they own. Most people asking for them are married to a Thai and want one for the house owned by the spouse.

I do own the condo. I had to provide everything on the list plus the original chanote and the document from the land office, issued upon purchase, in order to get the yellow book. They didn't accept a copy of chanote, they wanted to make their own copy. Plus I had to sign 3 or 4 documents, including the Thai witness statements. There aren't 2 lists of requirements to obtain a yellow book at Pattaya City Hall.

They even asked one of the witnesses, my girlfriend, if she had any babies with me or had she signed any documents for marriage or living with me. These questions have nothing to do with obtaining a yellow book.

57 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

I do own the condo. I had to provide everything on the list plus the original chanote and the document from the land office, issued upon purchase, in order to get the yellow book. They didn't accept a copy of chanote, they wanted to make their own copy. Plus I had to sign 3 or 4 documents, including the Thai witness statements. There aren't 2 lists of requirements to obtain a yellow book at Pattaya City Hall.

They even asked one of the witnesses, my girlfriend, if she had any babies with me or had she signed any documents for marriage or living with me. These questions have nothing to do with obtaining a yellow book.

Similarly, even after refusing to process my request as I did not have a long term visa the girl still asked me for my marriage certificate which is irrelevant to the yellow book.

Just to add another story, I bought a condo about five years ago.  I was so unaware of how the bureaucracy worked here one of the first things I did was go try and get a yellow book after getting my blue book from the land office.  The woman at the city office said I couldn't have one.  I asked why?  She told the GF in Thai some reason.  I said that I owned the condo I should have one.  So she told me I need some documents.  Well took a couple of days but I got the documents.  Went back and of course the response was I can't have one.  Sent me away for more documents and a name written in Thai on the chanote.  Got those and went back.she was having none of it.  Took my blue book a wrote something in it by hand saying that the owner of the condo needed to be in the country for some more time before he could get a yellow house book and told me not to come back.

Next year I went back and tried again.  No luck.

Year after that I took a different Thai with me and after a couple of attempts still no luck.  By this time I had been told by a couple of other foreigners that they only do yellow books for married men and no way to get one with out being married.

Anyway last year the mother of a friend of mine who has kind of adopted me was telling me that she knew the woman in charge of that office.  My new mother has a very important last name and is about twenty years my senior.  She called the woman in charge of the office and found out that the officer  had recently retired.  But the woman told my "mother" she would make a call.  We went down to the office all documents, from the notorized translation of my passport to the chanote in hand and were hoping for the best.  They looked over the documents and said I needed a notorized translation of my real parents name and address.  So we dutifully went and got that and came back the next day.

So guess what, they told us no, cannot.  My mother then started asking why and becoming assertive.  The question was then asked of my mother, in front of her husband BTW, who are you to him (meaning me).  Then the person behind the counter said that my mother might be being paid by me.  I was told by another friend that was there that the way it was worded implied that my mother might be a prostitute.  It was also said that I can't have this kind of document because I might be a criminal in my home country and that I could be trying to hide here in Thailand (BTW, at this point I was on a Non-OA visa which requires a background check, not that this office would know that)  Well that didn't go over well.  My mother gave the officer a sharp response that was lost on me.  She then for the first time showed the woman behind the counter her ID card.  The officer did ask who she was. This is who I am!  From that moment on I was getting the yellow book and a Pink ID card to go with it.

I have used the ID card a number of times.  I find it useful on occasion but I am not really sure it was worth it.  There was no way I would have gotten it without the help of an important person.

I guess the "do you know who I " thing can benefit me on occasion.

Edited by AKJeff
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TigerandDog said:

If he has a blue book then he doesn't need to get a yellow book.

What good is a blue house book without his name in it.

A yellow house book would allow him to use it as proof of residence or to get a pink ID card.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HKexpat said:

Good questions and wonder the same thing.  I own a condo and have a blue book only with no name in it.  If and when I decide to sell the condo do I need a yellow book as am a foreigner or is ok to sell without?  

You do not need a yellow house book to sell your condo.

3 hours ago, thaibook said:

Does the chao bahn have particular resonsibilities or privilidges?  If a farang buys a new condo the blue book will have no name and say the amphur does not wish to issue a yellow book, there is no chao bahn for the condo, does this matter?

Responsibilities are to report births and deaths, moving in and out of persons that is recorded on the blue and yellow book, and the dreaded TM30 

Many Thais has their condos with empty blue book, so it doesn't really matter, until now where property tax exemption for being a sole residence is depending on having someone in the blue or yellow book

I have a yellow book, pink card etc.

I've never had a long term visa. My wife is Thai and we own an apartment and I got a yellow book within an hour with no issues  I believe we had to have a witness.  This was Bangkok.

A lot of different opinions here, or should I say experiences. Here is mine.

1. Ownership is registered at the land office, documented through the Chanot (title deed).

2. The blue book is proof of residential address for Thai citizen obtained at the Amphoe. Foreigners cannot be registered in a blue book, and Thais can only register in one blue book even if they own more than one house. A blue book without registered name in it has no meaning. On the other hand, getting rid of a tenant registered in the blue book can become complicated even if that person is not the owner of the house.

3. The yellow book is proof of residential address for foreigners obtained at the Amphoe. You need your local Puyai (village/community mayor) to go to the Amphoe to confirm by signature you are actually living in that house.

4. Visa extension based on marriage requires your wife's blue book which should be the same address. Yellow book is not required but can be added.

5. The yellow book can save you a run to the Amphoe when renewing your driver's license, and in other cases where proof of address is required.

Before anyone posts that this is all wrong, this is what is valid in Hua Hin.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, thaibook said:

I bought a condo but was not given a blue book, even one with no-name.  Do I get it fromt eh land office or the Amphur?

My blue book was given to me at the land office at the time the sale and transfer of property was completed and registered.

I am not sure how you would get it at another time.  But I might ask the condo office.  They might have it.  Mine was in the possession of the builder when I bought the condo unit.  ( I think)

Thank you for clarifying.  With regards to reporting your arrival at the condo on a TM30 I understand that I may be able to do this via an S38 app available on the Apple store.  However as I am not thai can I still use the registration number for my condo in the blue book to do this or is this not allowed unless your thai or have a yellow book which I don’t have?  Thank you. 

I recently updated my blue book which I had for 10 years for a yellow book because in the past they will not allow me to obtain a yellow book on a 60day tourist Visa now I am over 50 I have a non-immigration Visa they will allow me to have a yellow book I needed 2 Thai’s with their ID and there blue book, and your passport translated to Thai & ownership deeds my bluebook 3 photos it took about 4 weeks (because of Covid)  to process then I applied for a pink ID card, In the past the lady said to me that you could obtain a yellow book if you have a six month tourist visa, but the rules are getting tighter,