New chapter in Thailand-Saudi ties: A happy ending to a bitter saga?

webfact

21 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

Should wonder why the Saudi's want to 'reconcile' ? What's in it for the Saudi's ?  Workers don't cut it, there are millions around the world that would fit that bill. 

After the Khashoggi assassination the Saudis are trying to make nice with many countries around the world.

I'm sure bin Salman explained to Prayut that it's ok to kill your own people, but leave the Saudis in Thailand alone.

Paul Laew

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, retayl said:

Not until they’ve opened up the knocking shops, in my experience Saudis only travel for one thing (+booze).

I am referring  to banking, commerce, airlines, steel and other industries including securities, stocks, investments  finance, construction, security/military etc. An adult conversation about the realities of modern economics  not just a few shabab.

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I am referring  to banking, commerce, airlines, steel and other industries including securities, stocks, investments  finance, construction, security/military etc. An adult conversation about the realities of modern economics  not just a few shabab.

I believe Mr. Khashoggi was hoping for an adult conversation with the Saudis. It’s what is known as an oxymoron.

1 minute ago, retayl said:

I believe Mr. Khashoggi was hoping for an adult conversation with the Saudis. It’s what is known as an oxymoron.

No it's not an Oxymoron but anyway my point is a new era of Saudi/Thai  relations is real serious  business worth millions in contracts in  banking, commerce, airlines, steel and other industries including securities, stocks, investments  finance, construction, security/military etc. These are the subject of grown up conversations. not just references to shabab and the sex trade.

3 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

No it's not an Oxymoron but anyway my point is a new era of Saudi/Thai  relations is real serious  business worth millions in contracts in  banking, commerce, airlines, steel and other industries including securities, stocks, investments  finance, construction, security/military etc. These are the subject of grown up conversations. not just references to shabab and the sex trade.

How grown up is a conversation between two unethical morally corrupt regimes? Have you ever had any dealings with the Saudis, I have. Every sector you mention is ripe for corrupt practices. Saudis & Thais, a marriage made in heaven indeed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, retayl said:

How grown up is a conversation between two unethical morally corrupt regimes? Have you ever had any dealings with the Saudis, I have. Every sector you mention is ripe for corrupt practices. Saudis & Thais, a marriage made in heaven indeed.

I'm afraid corruption is grown up. It happens. You just thought  about Saudi shabab getting drunk as the only outcome of the new relationship  between  Thailand  and KSA. That's childish.

I tried to elevate the discussion to real issues pertinent to the economic development  of the two countries which  include sigh: banking, commerce, airlines, steel and other industries including securities, stocks, investments  finance, construction, security/military etc

This is realpolitik not vacuous comments about booze or irrelevancies about corruption. Yes I have had dealing with Saudis and Iranians and Kuwaitis and Afghans and Libyans for over 40 years. That's why I have a more nuanced overview of the recent  news than you  do.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I'm afraid corruption is grown up. It happens. You just thought  about Saudi shabab getting drunk as the only outcome of the new relationship  between  Thailand  and KSA. That's childish.

I tried to elevate the discussion to real issues pertinent to the economic development  of the two countries which  include sigh: banking, commerce, airlines, steel and other industries including securities, stocks, investments  finance, construction, security/military etc

This is realpolitik not vacuous comments about booze or irrelevancies about corruption. Yes I have had dealing with Saudis and Iranians and Kuwaitis and Afghans and Libyans for over 40 years. That's why I have a more nuanced overview of the recent  news than you  do.

So in your view corruption is an irrelevance.. Happily I don’t share your moral compass. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, retayl said:

So in your view corruption is an irrelevance.. Happily I don’t share your moral compass. 

It's an irrelevance to the subject you and I started  discussing

THIS IS WHAT YOU SAID TO START: "Not until they’ve opened up the knocking shops, in my experience Saudis only travel for one thing (+booze). "

Read what YOU wrote and understand why I disrespected your immature comment and tried to force you into a grown up discussion

This is realpolitik not vacuous comments about booze.

As for your cowwuption concerns: that's no reason to continue another 30 years Saudi/Thai boycott which incidentally  did not end corruption in either country,  did it?

A lot of newbies here don't understand  that up till 1990 Thailand  and KSA had close economic  ties to their mutual benefit.  That's going to  happen  again. Thailand and the Thai  people will benefit from a new era of shared economic  development  and yes a few Saudi shabab will get robbed by LBs,  ripped off and battered in Bangkok just  like old times! lol

the reason for this saudi move is supporting USA in it's alliance against Iran and China.

but the story of the stolen blue diamond is an amazing one that did not get the right attention.

anyone who thinks about doing serious business in thailand should study this story carefully,

and reach his conclusions.

simply unbelievable from begining to end, with the highest level of childish corruption

that can be found only in early middle ages legends.

11 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

It's an irrelevance to the subject you and I started  discussing

THIS IS WHAT YOU SAID TO START: "Not until they’ve opened up the knocking shops, in my experience Saudis only travel for one thing (+booze). "

Read what YOU wrote and understand why I disrespected your immature comment and tried to force you into a grown up discussion

This is realpolitik not vacuous comments about booze.

As for your cowwuption concerns: that's no reason to continue another 30 years Saudi/Thai boycott which incidentally  did not end corruption in either country,  did it?

A lot of newbies here don't understand  that up till 1990 Thailand  and KSA had close economic  ties to their mutual benefit.  That's going to  happen  again. Thailand and the Thai  people will benefit from a new era of shared economic  development  and yes a few Saudi shabab will get robbed by LBs,  ripped off and battered in Bangkok just  like old times! lol

Can’t share your optimism about future mutual benefit. Reading other reports it appears the main discussion was, surprise surprise, around the supply of cheap Thai labour. Saudi Arabia is a despicable regime which has no interest in the concept of “mutual benefit” and to suggest that the Thai people will benefit is frankly laughable. A few Hi-So’s maybe, but to think this will cascade down is naive. Regarding my original post. I’ve met a few Saudi tourists(which is what I was appertaining to) in Bangkok over the years and believe me, in most cases my comment was far from irrelevant. I don’t normally generalise but they really are vile men.

9 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

the reason for this saudi move is supporting USA in it's alliance against Iran and China.

but the story of the stolen blue diamond is an amazing one that did not get the right attention.

anyone who thinks about doing serious business in thailand should study this story carefully,

and reach his conclusions.

simply unbelievable from begining to end, with the highest level of childish corruption

that can be found only in early middle ages legends.

Six nations in Middle East including Saudi Arabia,  UAE, Behrain, Turkey, Omen, Iran sent their respective Foreign Ministers to China just two weeks ago. 

Middle East oil rich nations are thinking and planning for future a decade and two and three down the road to ease the gradual change of fuel type easing out hydrocarbon including oil. 

These nations are turning attention to East --- East Asia and SouthEast Asia,  NOT to USA. 

Read more news outside the brain washing echo chamber Western Media will see more about the globe.    Global trend is shifting, not favoring USA. 

On 1/29/2022 at 3:49 PM, IAMHERE said:

Should wonder why the Saudi's want to 'reconcile' ? What's in it for the Saudi's ?

Saudi Arabia to resume direct flights to Thailand in May---

The announcement came following agreements reached between Saudi Arabia and Thailand to upgrade diplomatic relations

https://saudigazette.com.sa/article/616364

Edited by sanuk711
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

True.   Saudi Arabia is keen to at least kick start non-oil based industry and slowly shift away from solely earning oil dollars.   Saudi Arabia and other neighbor oil rich countries are looking out for new frontiers.

So subsequent to China knocking on their doors last year,    in mid-January this year 6 Middle East countries including Saudi Arabia had their Foreign Ministers visiting China to look for opportunities other than oil-related work.   

Iran is also actively engaging with South Korea on trade and commerce, cooperation projects.   

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sscc said:

True.   Saudi Arabia is keen to at least kick start non-oil based industry and slowly shift away from solely earning oil dollars.   Saudi Arabia and other neighbor oil rich countries are looking out for new frontiers.

So subsequent to China knocking on their doors last year,    in mid-January this year 6 Middle East countries including Saudi Arabia had their Foreign Ministers visiting China to look for opportunities other than oil-related work.   

Iran is also actively engaging with South Korea on trade and commerce, cooperation projects.   

Absolutely  correct.

10 hours ago, sscc said:

Global trend is shifting, not favoring USA. 

if you did not get by now how deperate saudi is for U.S. help against iran, than you

have'nt got a clue in the first place.

just to mention, there was a balistic missle fired yesterday from yemen's iran backed militia  to

abu dabi