Cop who killed doctor at zebra crossing was clocked at 108-128 kmph as he overtook van on "Ducati Monster"

webfact

4pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath reported that the lance corporal who killed a doctor as she crossed a zebra crossing outside a kidney institute hospital in Bangkok last week has additional charges to face. 

Chula medic Dr Waralak Suphawatrajirayakul - now familiar to people in Thailand as Dr Kratai after the case gained notoriety - was hit by Norawich Buadok who was riding a 'big bike' - a Ducati Monster.

Pol Maj-Gen Jirasan Kaewsaeng-ek said at met police HQ that the suspect is being charged additionally with speeding after he was clocked going between 108 and 128 kmph in an 80 kmph zone. 

He was apparently overtaking a van.

Police have until Monday to charge him with an additional charge of reckless driving. 

Norawich has asked for additional leave until Monday.

He has already been featured in the Thai press ordaining into the monkhood. 

He is expected to face all charges either today or by Monday, said the media. 

The case has caused a welter of stories this week about Zebra Crossings in Thailand.  

Long Stay Visa Health Insurance Plans

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-01-29

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, ezzra said:

A published Ducati monster bike prices put that bike cost at around the 450,000 baht, yes, 450K, that cop must be doing very well for himself to afford such bike unless he's supplementing his salary with other activities...

He didn't buy the bike new, it was secondhand and the price he paid for it has been published and confirmed a number of times as being about 75% less than B450k.    Even if he had bought it new, do you really think that he wouldn't be able to finance it over a few years?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

43 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

According to a Senior Police Officer, who made a statement the Day proceeding this horrendous crime, Police confiscate such items as these Bikes and are allowed to use / ride them, 

The police also confirmed that it wasn't an impounded bike, he had bought it used.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:
54 minutes ago, ezzra said:

A published Ducati monster bike prices put that bike cost at around the 450,000 baht, yes, 450K, that cop must be doing very well for himself to afford such bike unless he's supplementing his salary with other activities...

Why all the exaggeration on this site to fit a narrative... 

Thai-bashing with irrational and unfounded assertion's an unwritten rule here, isn't it?!

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 2
  • Sad 5

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

In another news story if was said that he had bought the bike secondhand.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

There was "talk" of it being a confiscated bike from another case, that had been purchased/used by the police...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Tell anybody in most European countries or the US that you can go 80 km/h (50 miles/h) on an inner city populated road with zebra crossings!

It's just crazy.

In Germany e.g. zebra crossings not allowed on roads over 50 km/h.

The other extreme, the Greens, want to cut down all of Berlin to 30 km/h!

Most city limits are 30km/h already last time I was there

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

the price he paid for it has been published and confirmed a number of times as being about 75% less than B450k.

Can you show me where you can get a Ducati Monster for 112,000thb please? I will buy one immediately.

Thanks in advance.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

That would be reason for the BIB to close ranks behind the Lance Corporal so they can share in his future earnings. The guy could be a real RainMaker.

• Sad 3

This article notes some other problem which I have notice for some time.  when it comes to speed for urban road there isn't any set speed destination certainly this road had no business having a designation of 80 and having zero enforcement to make sure they don't exceed. A road with a crosswalk here in Thailand should have been set at 40 with a 10 lead way 50 Max. 

Then you got illegal overtaking and undertaking when a vehicle slows down or stop in the road there is a reason. Several years ago while on my bike a bus ahead of me slow down stop for a vehicle to enter the road A motorbike went by easily 100 never thought or care as to why he overtook the stop bus he hit the vehicle making the turn flew off the bike and smack head on to a electrical poll dead instantly neck broken.  Everyone including the cop said car at fault I stuck around told them exactly what happen the car did everything by the book reminded the cop law in Thailand you can't over or undertake 2-300 from an intersection. Sad Thai laws but no one has a clue

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Going 108 instead of 80 in Switzerland: prison sentence, maybe one year suspended.

128 instead of 80: prison and probably confiscation of vehicle.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. I meant that even if he drove 80 km/h rather than 108-128, given how late he saw her, it would not make any difference to accident happening and the terrible consequence of it. Hitting her at 80 km/h dead straight would have killed her all the same.

Wasn't referring to penalties he would have gotten for speeding or not speeding.

Back in my birth country, driving through towns is limited to 40 km/h from entry to exit sign of the town area. Even at 40 km/h it's difficult to stop if someone jumps in front of you. Not everyone has reflexes and quality brakes like trucker in this video. I bet this would have ended with a dead kid if it happened in Thailand.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

It's already been established that he bought it second hand. Please try to keep up.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Maybe speed limits on these roads should be lowered,

There are many small towns and villages in Thailand with very clear signs as you enter, to SLOW DOWN, and that the speed limit is 50. I can’t remember how many times I’ve been on a bus or a minivan, and the drivers never slowed down. If anything, they tended to go faster. Completely nuts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Can you show me where you can get a Ducati Monster for 112,000thb please? I will buy one immediately.

Thanks in advance.

Maybe read the topic, one was posted for 95.000 second hand like the cop claimed his was

See post

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why all the exaggeration on this site to fit a narrative... 

Screenshot 2022-01-29 at 11.13.47.png

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Going 80 would not have made much of a difference. He still could not stop in time. Maybe speed limits on these roads should be lowered, then actually enforced? That, and of course, making crossings safe to cross on. But probably most important would be changing the drivers' discipline. In Thailand penalties for driving offenses are very low compared to most other countries, and even for these, there's always a friend or brother or sister that can make the record disappear without paying the fine. That is where it should start. And when people start becoming afraid of consequences, that's when they start doing it.

At least that's the theory...

If he Was going 80 He wouldn't be there at that time ,He would be Further Back on the road and the doc would've been crossed the road and be Gone .

• Like 1

Well, speeding is 400 Baht, if my knowledge is correct. I was also not aware, that the police force pays such juicy salaries so that the cops can arrive on fire-red Ducati's. 

What a farçe; I - for one - would start combing through all those temples in the Land, quite some surprised there possibly? 

I'm just glad that it is not the Doctor's fault having crossed on a zebra crossing in the first place! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, khunPer said:

In another news story if was said that he had bought the bike secondhand.

Is that the same one that claimed he hadn't yet changed the ownership which is why it was allegedly un-licensed ?

4 hours ago, connda said:

What civil engineer in their right mind places a cross-walk on a road with an 80 kph speed limit?  That's insanity!

I do not know about the rest of Thailand, but here on Koh Samui, the hotels paint a zebra crossing on the road for their guests.

Nothing to do with civil engineers.

Not all zebra crossing are 'authorised' ones.