O retirement extension lapsing.

For various reasons I have had to use much of my 800,000 baht this year. My current extension ends in April.

However, I’m retired and it suits me to spend April-October each year in the UK (to see family and friends, enjoy the spring and summer in the garden and take care of my bees). I have lived in both places like this for a long time. I have a condo in Bangkok.

My financial situation will improve this year and I’ll be able to restore the required amount to my Thai account. I think that it will be ok to start again next October and apply for a non-O visa either at the embassy in London, or arrive with the visa waiver and go through the process again in Bangkok, but I’d like to check this with the knowledge and  experience of this group please.

Interestingly, after some years of simply applying for a 6 month multi-entry visa, each year, in London, the last time I applied for a 6 month non-O visa (2016) they sent me a one year multi-entry non-O visa, which I have extended ever since.

Is it ok simply to begin the process again. What do experienced members think? Thank you.

5 minutes ago, Londinium said:

Is it ok simply to begin the process again. What do experienced members think?

No problem..

Also you have the bank account in place so just enter visa exempt as you outlined. Then followed by the non O retirement and finally 12 month extension. 

No issue.

• Like 2

Is it not easier to enter with a 90 day Non-O IF offered in home country, then on last 30 days directly to yearly extensions ? I'm exiting in March without a re-entry permit to kill my OA. I will be looking for a new place on return and thought the Non O obviously gives you more time to get a TM30 in place for extensions...... 

Edited by CANSIAM

4 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

Is it not easier to enter with a 90 day Non-O IF offered in home country, then on last 30 days directly to yearly extensions ?

The depends upon where you apply for the non-o visa at. Some embassies and consulates take a long time to issue visas. Also they required 3 months of the 40/400k baht insurance valid for at least 3 months.

For many it is just as easy to enter visa exempt and apply for the non-o at immigration.

When applying for the non-o visa shorley after entering the country most offices will accept a TM30 done by a hotel.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Londinium said:

UbonJoe/Dr Jack,

given that (mostly) I stay maximum of 180 days per year, might an annual STV, with extensions, be a better option?

If land borders were open the an METV is an option. 

Personally I would avoid a STV but it does not require to exit Thailand so that's a plus.

I can understand that if only in Thailand for 6 months then the financial requirement of money in Thai bank for retirement is not attractive. 

When land borders open then that's a game changer and you have more options. 

Many folk enjoy a visa run and can be nice break.

Easy to obtain 6 months in Thailand with a tourist visa entry and couple of border runs. (in future when borders open) 

Edited by DrJack54

Thanks, Dr Jack. The STV page of the Thai Embassy, London, website is rather confusing. On one side it says that the visa can be extended (subject to the discretion of the IO) for periods, ‘not exceeding 90 days’; but on the other side of the page says that, after September 2021, extensions are no longer possible. Certainly a 6 month visa would answer my dilemma and free up some cash.

3 hours ago, Londinium said:

My current extension ends in April.

However, I’m retired and it suits me to spend April-October each year in the UK

If you plan to exit prior to end of your current permission of stay.

Then your return in October could (hopefully) be a completely different landscape. 

An METV could be an option or even as previously mentioned a tourist visa with couple of border runs would be enough. Keep in mind that you can do 2 visa exempt border entries per calendar year. 

Be aware that every entry by tourist visa and visa exempt can be extended by 30 days.

That is also the case with the METV. Each entry gives 60 day permit but can be extended by 30 days. 

You can weigh up your options much later this year. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

Clarification?

Outside application is actually a NON OA?

Which requires the medical insurance and covid insurance for the duration of the Visa…rather spendy.

Better to enter as a tourist (Covid insurance less expensive) and then apply for a non O.

My last return I had to purchase the 270 day covid plan…$$! Just a thought.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

Thank you, but I don’t think that is the case. I’ve only ever applied for (and received) the Non-O rather than the O/A, unless the rules have changed recently, but I will

pursue the STV/tourist option.

Edited by Londinium

14 minutes ago, PumpkinEater said:

Better to enter as a tourist (Covid insurance less expensive) and then apply for a non O.

My last return I had to purchase the 270 day covid plan…$$! Just a thought.

Were you also required to purchase the 400/40k insurance that is required for the non O-A folk?

BTW think for the 50k covid insurance requirement you may have be able to obtain a 30 day policy.

You mentioned

"Outside application is actually a NON OA?"

You can obtain both a non O-A and non O retirement in the UK.

You can also obtain non O retirement inside Thailand but can only obtain the non O-A in home country or country where you are a permanent resident. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

waiting for this BS to be over so we can travel outside to get shut of the OA label as stated above.

Good post....just to add in case anyone not aware.

If your extentions are from a non O-A and you happen to be married then changing from extension based on retirement to based on marriage would mean the useless insurance is not required. 

• Like 2

Hello Dr.

No unfortunately I was required to have the Covid insurance for the duration (until date of expiration which was early 270 days) of my Non O extension for my sandbox entry ($$).

I think the only Visa (retirement) available while applying IN the USA is a Non OA. This is why I acquired my non O extension prior to departing Thailand last June. I was not aware that you can apply for a Non O from the UK.

Cheers.

9 hours ago, KhunPeng said:

Anyway to find out of which I'm having?

Look in your passport to see if the visa has non immigrant OA or only O on it. If you have gotten a new passport since you got it look on page 1 of your passport and there will be large stamp stating the type of you used for entry.

10 hours ago, KhunPeng said:

Anyway to find out of which I'm having? Currently am on retirement Visa since 2017.

Apart from it being indicated in passport you would remember an application for a non O-A.

It has more requirements that include a medical a police check, your application notorized etc etc.

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Apart from it being indicated in passport you would remember an application for a non O-A.

It has more requirements that include a medical a police check, your application notorized etc etc.

Hi DrJack54,

No can't remember I did all that you mentioned.

Only complied with the age and bank deposit requirements.

Many thanks n cheers!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, KhunPeng said:

I think mine fall under O Visa after checking the stamps under my old and new passport. If so I did not have to comply with the new insurance requirements come Sept 2022 right?

Yes

You applied for a non-o visa at immigration. Immigration does not issue OA visas.

• Like 1

I know a lot of people will not agree with me, but I would use an agent this year. You already have the Non O that your extension is based on. An agent  I can quote Pattaya rates will charge 13,000 baht, Bangkok will be a bit more. You then have until April 2023 to sort out you finances and get the 800 k back in your bank account, allowing for the qualifying period of course. Using an agent this year does not mean you cant revert to doing it yourself next year.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jimn said:

. You then have until April 2023 to sort out you finances and get the 800 k back in your bank account, allowing for the qualifying period of course

Does not work that way.

Would need to show one year of financials.

No use in placing 800k in bank couple of months prior to April 2023. 

33 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So that presumably means that I won't be able to switch from the 65k monthly income method to the 800k bank balance method for my next retirement extension application in mid-July, then, does it? This despite the fact that I had already accumulated the necessary 800k in a separate bank account which I have opened for this purpose by mid-January - well in advance of the 2-month deadline of mid-May but, alas, for considerably less than one year prior to my next retirement extension application!

Oh well, looks like I'll just have to keep soldiering on with 65k minimum monthly FTT transfers for a few more months then...☹️

Edited by OJAS

8 minutes ago, OJAS said:

So that presumably means that I won't be able to switch from the 65k monthly income method to the 800k bank balance method for my next retirement extension application in mid-July, then, does it?

You can switch.

Let's say you are on income monthly transfers then you continue that up to the date of your next extension application.

You would also 2 months prior to the next application make a deposit of 800k.

In reality you could possibly stop the monthly transfers the 2 months prior to your next application.

Personally I would have the two methods overlap. 

After that your next extension is based on money in the bank method. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Does not work that way.

No use in placing 800k in bank couple of months prior to April 2023. 

I disagree. People change from visa exempt and Tourist Visa to a Non O/extension of stay all the time otherwise there would be no one moving to extensions. 2 or 3 months before his renewal he surely can move 800k to his bank. Is this correct @ubonjoe