Finnish Berry picking boss sentenced to prison on charges of human trafficking of Thai workers

webfact

54 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

If Thailand was serious....Pfffft.

If Thailand was serious they would try to provide jobs with a reasonable wage here at home so people did not have to leave for work.

My girl has seven brothers and 1 sister.  All of them are currently overseas working farm and laboring jobs.  Her sister is working in Korea.  Has been there for 5 years now on expired tourist visa.  She was fully vaccinated with Pfizer long before we were here in LOS.

I am English  but had to work abroad to make decent wages and save enough.  It's a choice some of us make. Many of my friends were too scared  to take jobs abroad. They even mocked me. Its not for everyone  but living as a working expat to make and save money breaks a cycle of poverty but you need resolve, determination, self  sufficiency AND the ability  to make trustworthy friends.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, steven100 said:

This is what happens when Thai workers venture overseas for greener pastures ...... if Thailand was serious about human trafficking and abuse they could easily set up a watchdog that inspects these places from time to time,  that would be one way of stopping the labor abuse. 

It happens to all kinds of people everywhere.

In Thailand, Russian women are lured to come and work and then by Russian mafia forced into prostitution.

Not long ago there was a story about, in Asean Now, i believe, Indonesian man hold prisoner to work on a fishing boat, almost not paid.

In my country, Polish people living in embarrassing places to live. In UK just the same, many Africans.

Where you think all those South American workers live in the USA? You think they are doing ok?

You have ever seen the conditions of workers in Pakistan, well there are more of such countries, demolishing ships? 

Or a super rich country, Qatar, let workers, only 6500 so far as i know of, DIE for stadiums for world soccer? competition? You think they live in hotels or so?

Or in Africa, just young kids of 8, working hard labor 12 hours/day for a dime.

And about the Finnish, i already saw on a docu about that, again the same.

And i think to myself, what a wonderful world, o yeaaaaaaaaah

1 hour ago, xtrnuno41 said:

In Thailand, Russian women are lured to come and work and then by Russian mafia forced into prostitution.

It happens all over the world as I have stated. But hey .......   if they want to take the risk for greener pastures then go for it.. 

Have you heard the saying  :   if it sounds to good to be true then it probably is .....

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, steven100 said:

It happens all over the world as I have stated. But hey .......   if they want to take the risk for greener pastures then go for it.. 

Have you heard the saying  :   if it sounds to good to be true then it probably is .....

You ever heard the saying "a cornered cat makes weird jumps"

Or "if you start to drown, you must find ways to float" OK made that up myself hahaha.

But in this world there are many people, drowning. 

So it is time to stop making babies for a year or 2.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 4:57 PM, steven100 said:

well that's great    !     but people from all countries go overseas for a better wage ,  I did ...  it's got nothing to do with Thailand putting the wages up to match overseas jobs,  no country will do that.  It's all relative to the local minimum wage, eg;  living costs, electricity, food etc ......  so your comment doesn't hold water.  Her sister is in Korea because it's a higher wage and she can send money home, as what most do.  As for her being vaccinated before Thailand, well good for her.

Has nothing to do with putting up wages.  What about saturation of the local labor market with cheap burmese and khmer workers?

On 1/30/2022 at 10:02 PM, webfact said:

The Finnish Supreme Court has sentenced the head of a Central Finland berry picking firm to one year and ten months in prison on 26 charges of human trafficking involving Thai berry pickers, media HS writes.

...i mean,  the whole thing is fishy! you import  berry pickers  from  a distant country whereas there  are thousands and thousands  of unemployed persons in the neighboring countries, Sweden, Danmark, Norway, Island... 

• Confused 1

On 1/31/2022 at 5:15 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

I am English  but had to work abroad to make decent wages and save enough. 

I did the same, but another reason for me was, as a single person, I was losing too much in taxes in the UK, and resented supporting others. So I went for a tax free environment too.