Finnish Berry picking boss sentenced to prison on charges of human trafficking of Thai workers

webfact

13-3-12287200-scaled.jpg

A photograph taken by police during the initial investigation showed some of the conditions the victims were forced to live under. Image: Sisä-Suomen poliisilaitos

by Gregers Møller

The Finnish Supreme Court has sentenced the head of a Central Finland berry picking firm to one year and ten months in prison on 26 charges of human trafficking involving Thai berry pickers, media HS writes.

The pickers traveled to Finland from Thailand to pick wild berries and mushrooms for about three months in 2016. The defendant accommodated the pickers in the town of Hankasalmi in Central Finland on premises where safety inspections had revealed safety deficiencies. The shipping containers and trailers where the workers lived were in such a condition that they could cause harm to health. 

During their time in Finland, the Thai berry pickers were forced to work 15-hour days for little or no pay, as their earnings went to pay off debts accrued from their journey to Finland. The pickers had to hand over their passports and plane tickets to the staff and were not guided well enough in carrying out their tasks and therefore did not collect enough berries, which resulted in lower wages.

Full story: https://scandasia.com/finnish-berry-picking-boss-sentenced-to-prison-on-charges-of-human-trafficking-of-thai-workers/

sca.jpg

-- © Copyright ScandAsia 2022-01-31

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here

• Sad 4
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Pot kettle, not really but then again some people need to defend fellow foreigners.

The people who are exploited in both cases are workers, migrant workers. The people who exploit the migrant workers in Thailand are not the workers like those who went to Finland to work but higher ups. So if you in some way want to equate the Thais that were exploited with those who exploit migrant workers in Thailand your way off base as they are from totally different backgrounds and wealth.

Disagree.....seen some poor examples here in Thailand with foreign construction site workers and fishermen..... exploitation is exactly that and Thailand does it too. 

I have no affiliation with Finnish people whatsoever... but Finland gets a few bonus points because they did do something about it... 

'Higher up' is completely irrelevant, even if that was true.  My gardener once turned up with some Cambodians to help him..... 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Disagree.....seen some poor examples here in Thailand with foreign construction site workers and fishermen..... exploitation is exactly that and Thailand does it too. 

I have no affiliation with Finnish people whatsoever... but Finland gets a few bonus points because they did do something about it... 

'Higher up' is completely irrelevant, even if that was true.  My gardener once turned up with some Cambodians to help him..... 

You are missing the point that i made. The point is that both the Thai that were exploited by the Fin and the migrants you describe are being exploited by the more high up kind of people. The Thais exploiting the migrants in Thailand are not in the same socio economic class as those Thais that were abused.

Point being that you can't downplay it as these exploited Thais are not the group of people that exploit migrants in Thailand. So both are victims or richer more powerful people. Please keep that in mind. Turning up with some Cambodians is not the same as exploiting them. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, robblok said:

You are missing the point that i made. The point is that both the Thai that were exploited by the Fin and the migrants you describe are being exploited by the more high up kind of people. The Thais exploiting the migrants in Thailand are not in the same socio economic class as those Thais that were abused.

Point being that you can't downplay it as these exploited Thais are not the group of people that exploit migrants in Thailand. So both are victims or richer more powerful people. Please keep that in mind. Turning up with some Cambodians is not the same as exploiting them. 

And I still am, I do not see the relevance of what you say. Please stop wasting my time. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, nahkit said:

So both groups were being exploited by people with more power than them?

Jacko45k isn't the only one who doesn't understand the point you are trying to make.

My point was that i felt he and others were using the abuse of foreign migrants in Thailand to justify the abuse of those Thais.

My point was that both of the groups that were abused were abused by with higher status. So the comparison and justification would only work if those who were abused by the fins were the same people (same socio economic group) as those who did the abusing in Thailand and that is not the case.

Its just the poor lower class who will always be abused and to justify that by saying that migrants are treated worse in Thailand is just wrong as those who doing the abusing might be Thais but of a whole different socio economic class. So to see this as payback or justification is just wrong as those who get hurt are not the bad guys. Others are.

• Like 1

The problem are the dubious agents here in Thailand. Very few workers have the know-how to obtain the necessary papers (visa, work permit) and to finance their trip in advance. This then leads to slave-like conditions. This is not only the case with the berry pickers, but also with the "masseuses" who work in Korea and with many workers in Arab countries.

Edited by tomacht8

8 hours ago, webfact said:

A photograph taken by police during the initial investigation showed some of the conditions the victims were forced to live under.

Looks very similar to most Thai living accommodations. ????

Edited by Mr Meeseeks
  • Haha 1

During their time in Finland, the Thai berry pickers were forced to work 15-hour days for little or no pay, as their earnings went to pay off debts accrued from their journey to Finland.” one month prison for each change sounds more just. Plus pay all the worker’s with interest. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, SteveAZ said:

During their time in Finland, the Thai berry pickers were forced to work 15-hour days for little or no pay, as their earnings went to pay off debts accrued from their journey to Finland.” one month prison for each change sounds more just. Plus pay all the worker’s with interest. 

and forfiet 50% of future profits his farm to the homeless and refugees

11 hours ago, webfact said:

The Finnish Supreme Court has sentenced the head of a Central Finland berry picking firm to one year and ten months in prison on 26 charges of human trafficking involving Thai berry pickers, media HS writes.

Actually he get 1 year prison sentence and coz he is first timer he have to be in prison 6 month. After that he is in parole.

And i think Thai's get they minumum salary coz they had contract whit A hole so wage security office pay the salary and then get it back to them from A hole.

Berry picking is hard work so sad that some A holes try to use people to they own benefit!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, tonray said:

It's great that this guy gets his due...but have you seen worker housing in Thailand ? Perhaps should be a wakeup call to clean up treatment of immigrant workers here too,

Yes great to see this guy gets his due. Both countries need to clean up the treatment of immigrant workers. More of an embarrassment for Finland being a developed country and 3rd best country in adhering to the rule of law in the world. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, steven100 said:

This is what happens when Thai workers venture overseas for greener pastures ...... if Thailand was serious about human trafficking and abuse they could easily set up a watchdog that inspects these places from time to time,  that would be one way of stopping the labor abuse. 

If Thailand was serious....Pfffft.

If Thailand was serious they would try to provide jobs with a reasonable wage here at home so people did not have to leave for work.

My girl has seven brothers and 1 sister.  All of them are currently overseas working farm and laboring jobs.  Her sister is working in Korea.  Has been there for 5 years now on expired tourist visa.  She was fully vaccinated with Pfizer long before we were here in LOS.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

If Thailand was serious....Pfffft.

If Thailand was serious they would try to provide jobs with a reasonable wage here at home so people did not have to leave for work.

My girl has seven brothers and 1 sister.  All of them are currently overseas working farm and laboring jobs.  Her sister is working in Korea.  Has been there for 5 years now on expired tourist visa.  She was fully vaccinated with Pfizer long before we were here in LOS.

well that's great    !     but people from all countries go overseas for a better wage ,  I did ...  it's got nothing to do with Thailand putting the wages up to match overseas jobs,  no country will do that.  It's all relative to the local minimum wage, eg;  living costs, electricity, food etc ......  so your comment doesn't hold water.  Her sister is in Korea because it's a higher wage and she can send money home, as what most do.  As for her being vaccinated before Thailand, well good for her.

• Haha 1