Disgruntled Thai man takes revenge - four shot dead in horrific spree

webfact

On 1/31/2022 at 4:31 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

Which can make them a very, very dangerous people to upset. Don't. Ever. The consequences could be extreme and disastrous. As in this case.

This is kind of what I have concluded as well, just based on observations, without personal experiences. Better just live in my own farang bubble, with the exception of random engagement with some selected specimens with well defined specifications on commercial basis, and even then not to care too much in case the content delivery of the commercial activity is imperfect.

On 1/31/2022 at 4:31 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

A good post. My theory is that it's because every Thai from a very young age is taught their place on the social rung, and everyone is looked down upon by someone. Everyone except you know who. Frustration and resentment builds and builds, and suddenly they 'do a Popeye' - That's all I can takes, I can't takes no more - and they reach for the can of spinach. Or, in Thailand, the nearest gun or machete. It also explains why so many in a uniform make life as difficult as possible for those they deal with, as the uniform gives them power to do whatever they want and kick back at their otherwise lowly position on the social ladder. The abused become the abuser. It's a way of fighting back against the system.

On 1/31/2022 at 7:30 PM, Dumbfounded said:

I think it's to do with the upbringing. Kids are never really taught right from wrong, more like don't let anybody see you do that. The males aren't disciplined for bad behavior by the parents plus all they see growing up is corruption/wrongness

...so it seems there is some level of belief that this is primarily non-genetic, caused by the habits, culture and behaviours of the society.

Would be very interesting academic research topic. Sometime ago I read quite a bit about narc and BPD stuff as had a short relationship with a narc Thai lady, But never recall seeing anything comparative between cultures.

• Like 2

You get screwed over by enough people and THIS starts to be a good idea. This guy snapped because he'd had enough, I've been there, well not "There" obviously because I've never killed anyone. Has anyone here not wanted to do serious bodily harm to someone????

On 1/31/2022 at 4:44 PM, robsamui said:

No matter what age they get to, Thai people never seem to psychologically and emotionally get past what Westerners think of as teenagers. They are emotional and petulant, with all their feelings close to the surface and ready to break out. They are overly sensitive to rejection or perceived insults, and being made to feel foolish or appear in the wrong is mortifying for them. Fits of the sulks, or uncontrollable anger, are common.

The other side of the coin is that they are also warm, loving and deeply affectionate and usually kind, generous, open-hearted, sympathetic and hospitable . . . delightfully so.

To interact with Thais in their society and culture needs a different kind of understanding and perception - it is easy to unwittingly upset a Thai. It is equally easy to gain their affection, respect, and even love. 

But you won't do that by blindly or insensitively responding to them as if they're the usual 'Western' adults you're accustomed to. They're not. 

And you need to constantly keep that in your mind, whether you're visiting or living in Thailand, or writing comments about Thainess from abroad.

I have  very similar observations as well, many people who are adults, but behave like teenagers.

Basically you describe an archetype of person with BPD. Seems that Thai culture is very prone to create people with BPD. Substantial issues with whole object relations. 

But what's the issue of writing comments about Thainess from abroad?

7 hours ago, mran66 said:

...so it seems there is some level of belief that this is primarily non-genetic, caused by the habits, culture and behaviours of the society.

Would be very interesting academic research topic. Sometime ago I read quite a bit about narc and BPD stuff as had a short relationship with a narc Thai lady, But never recall seeing anything comparative between cultures.

I would even take it a bit further and say an effective police force tends to keep peoples negativities towards society in check, at least that is how I see it. In the west our parents try to instill a moral code and discipline in us as we grow up under their roof, but when out with mates and maybe alcohol/drugs are in the mix then our morals/discipline can sometimes drift, but a quick sighting or reminder of the police on patrol can usually remind you of what behavior is acceptable. There is no one here to pull up bad behavior before it escalates

On 1/31/2022 at 6:35 PM, Neeranam said:

Perhaps mix in different circles. 

I(t would seem so. Few Thai I know well enough to be provided an opinion from of the RTP is certainly  not one that generally supports any illusion or delusion that it primarily works on behalf of the public.

On 1/31/2022 at 4:38 PM, Topah said:

There must also be a lot of shootings without any media coverage. Once in Sukhumvit I saw a man shot and there was nothing mentioned in the news. I guess the person killed just disappears and there is no interest from anyone what happened. Luckily Thai people kill usually for a reason. Not randomly. Dont make anyone mad. I remember when that US guy was killed because he refused to pay few extra baht for taxi.

That American loser, (an English teacher), threw his coffee in the taxi driver's face. The fare on the meter was about 20 baht more than he usually paid, from Seacon Square to near Bangna! He ruined two lives, at least!

On 1/31/2022 at 4:27 PM, pacovl46 said:

Autocorrect at work again. That should’ve read the Americas and specifically some of the South American countries because they lead the list. The word “the” in my sentence and actually reading the list should’ve made it obvious that I meant the Americas and not America because in that case “the” would’ve been missing from my sentence. Also, how many “countries” does America have? It’s so obvious that it was a typo! 

Because some people type countries instead of counties, and 52 v. 5.2 together looks like sloppy writing. But Saul Goodman (it's all good, man) because if you're typing on a phone, those mistakes can be overlooked.

• Thanks 1

On 2/2/2022 at 1:24 PM, EVENKEEL said:

You get screwed over by enough people and THIS starts to be a good idea. This guy snapped because he'd had enough, I've been there, well not "There" obviously because I've never killed anyone. Has anyone here not wanted to do serious bodily harm to someone????

No never, i guess its a mindset that some people have and those snap easier then those who have less violent tendencies. Its also a culture thing and macho thing.

People with lower social status and education are usually also more violent. Of course that does not mean that educated people can't be violence but there is a difference.  (most of the violence in my country comes from the lower social class and street thugs you don't often read about bankers having a fight but usually it happens in the cheaper areas in town). It makes sense too if you have less to lose and are in an environment where violence is more common resorting to it is more normal)

I can honestly say since i past 20 I have never wanted to resort to physical violence. But its also a temperament thing hotheads will blow a fuse easier.

Combine a few factors and your more likely to think that way then others. 

*edit* I think if something like my GF got raped by someone or other really bad stuff I might actually want to harm that person but havent been put in situations like that. 

Edited by robblok