Visa transfer at CW - failed again

I just want to share my experience so that others can have a smoother transition than me.

I am at CW for the 3rd time trying to transfer my extension based on retirement to my new passport - and failed for the 3rd time. 

Whilst back in UK during summer of 2021, I obtained a new passport as my old/current one would expire in June 2022 and my extension renewal is in April. Returned to Thailand November 2021, showed both passports, no problem. 

Went to MTT 10 days ago to do 90 days (online was rejected, probably due to new passport, but never got old online to accept my application) with both passports. MTT advised that I need to get extension transferred to new passport. 

Went to CW, where I was advised that I need to do 90 day report first. Returned to MTT where I was able to do 90 day report. 

Second time at CW, and after having paperwork checked and getting ticket number for L counter, I was advised that I need letter from embassy re new passport. 

Made appointment at embassy, who advised me that I did not need letter as I had used my new passport to enter Thailand and it had entry stamp in it. I was advised that embassy or passport agency letter is only required if you receive your new passport while still in the country. 

Returned to CW today. Paperwork all checked, received ticket for L counter. When called, IO accepted that I did not require embassy letter, but that I did require my bank book with itemised statement from time of my existing extension. I had my online app on my phone, but not good enough. My bank is one of those no longer at CW. This requirement was never advised to me before, nor is it on the list of requirements on the form to complete that I was originally given. 

It should also be noted that you cannot make appointment for transfer of extension based on retirement, only for work permit related visa extensions. 

So, this is a cautionary tale for anyone else out there wanting to transfer visa extension. 

I do have a question for the community as today was the 3rd time and it costs 1000+ baht round trip each time. As my extension is due in APRIL and I have no problem carrying 2 passports around with me, can I just wait and do everything the same day or do I need to transfer extension first at a prior visit? 

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, London Fog said:

As my extension is due in APRIL and I have no problem carrying 2 passports around with me, can I just wait and do everything the same day or do I need to transfer extension first at a prior visit? 

You could wait and do it until you do your extension but I think stamp transfers and extensions are done at different desks at CW.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

But not in his cased. He got his new passport while outside the country and used both passports when he entered the country.

The letter is only needed if you apply for and receive the new passport while in the country.;

Thanks UJ, Yes I have deleted my post.

I was at CW late October with a new passport to attempt do an OA and entry stamp transfer only. I was about 45-50 days away from extension time, IO said they cannot do a stamp transfer to new passport unless I was leaving the country before permission to stay stamp. I was staying so they said come back next month and do the visa transfer and extension of stay on the new passport at the same time......

As said both can be done same time but transfer has to be first and then extension.  Both are done at counter L (for retirement).  You may want to visit bank to get new passport number on account prior to then (not sure if bank writes PP number on letters?).  Expect entry stamp in new passport may be all that is required by bank - but not sure.

I went through this process recently.  A different visa category and at a provincial office.

The process itself was relatively straightforward with no demand for additional documents.  What bugged me was the fact that they filled up two and a half pages of my new passport with a whole bunch of BS stamps and manuscript notes.

Edited by In the jungle

16 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

What bugged me was the fact that they filled up two and a half pages of my new passport with a whole bunch of BS stamps and manuscript notes.

Should be one and half pages.

Not sure what happened in your case. Perhaps reentry permit aslo.

As far as "BS" don't follow.

The details they enter are transfer of information regarding pervious visa (eg Non O) and extension etc. That is obviously necessary. 

55 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

I went through this process recently.  A different visa category and at a provincial office.

The process itself was relatively straightforward with no demand for additional documents.  What bugged me was the fact that they filled up two and a half pages of my new passport with a whole bunch of BS stamps and manuscript notes.

"What bugged me was the fact that they filled up two and a half pages of my new passport with a whole bunch of BS stamps and manuscript notes."

BUT How do you know they are BS stamps? Your attitude is so arrogant.  If at some time in the future you were in trouble for not having these 'BS' stamps you would be moaning even more.

I just went through  this transfer process last month. At no time did I consider any stamps to be 'BS', extraneous or unnecessary just because  I did not fully understand  them!

Edited by The Hammer2021

Could it be that immigration asked you to get the visa letter just to verify that both passports are the same person which would then allow them to do the visa transfer,,, maybe I’m barking up the wrong tree but I had a similar situation although Amphut related and not immigration office, which was rectified by Brit embassy giving me the letter to confirm old and new passports are one and the same person

7 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

"What bugged me was the fact that they filled up two and a half pages of my new passport with a whole bunch of BS stamps and manuscript notes."

BUT How do you know they are BS stamps? Your attitude is so arrogant.  If at some time in the future you were in trouble for not having these 'BS' stamps you would be moaning even more.

I just went through  this transfer process last month. At no time did I consider any stamps to be 'BS', extraneous or unnecessary just because  I did not fully understand  them!

How do I know they are BS stamps?

Because I spent more than twenty years of my life working for immigration in a first world country.

Just now, In the jungle said:

Because I spent more than twenty years of my life working for immigration in a first world country.

Ah a superior man with superior  knowledge  from a superior  country  depending on inferior  men in an inferior  country lol

Do I detect an arrogance issue? lol

6 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

One like USA that issues visas longer than passport validity and then requires you carry old and new for entry?  Perhaps not a big step forward.  

I want to share my experience when my exwife from surin arrived to norway.

Few days after arrival we went to the local policestation asking for visa/workpermit here.

The same day they called from the policestation and said she could pick up her passport.

She get 2 year rigth away and could even start her own business if she wanted to.

I know this doesnt help he OP...but if ur married to a thai and want to work or get marrigevisa it seems like a nigthmare in thailand.Its all about money.