Renewal Thai driving license

jonnyscot

Had a renewal 5 years back, just wondering the requirements/paperwork for renewal if they are still same, incidentally my license renewal date is my 60th birthday, any additional requirements for that ? 
also I’m at different location this time round so different office, do they require proof of address and what docs suffice if so?,

thanks in advance 

Edited by jonnyscot

I did my 5 year license renewal this year. I used my yellow tabien baan for proof of address. If you don't have the yellow book or a pink ID card, you might need a letter from your embassy for proof of address (I'm not sure what the other options might be).

My renewal was at age 68, too young for age-related questions to arise. Just had to watch an hour long safety video in Thai.

Paul Laew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MJCM said:

If you go one day after your Birthday you will get almost 6 years instead of the 5 years if going before or on your Birthday!

Yes, good tip. I always go after my birthday, sometimes even a few months later. I believe you can still renew up to 1 year after expiry. A lot of Thais drive around with expired licenses (or no license at all).

Paul Laew

34 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I have just returned from Sakon Nakhon DLT offices with my new licenses. There is a new procedure in place since my last visit.

Firstly you have to download an appointment app called 'dlt smart queue' and book yourself an appointment. Mine was 1 week hence. 

You then have to go to a website called DLT E learning. (link below) create an account for yourself and login. Once in you have to watch a road safety video and answer 3 multiple choice questions. (the answers are in the video so pay attention)

Once you have successfully answered the questions the website issues you with a pass certificate which you must show when you turn up for your appointment.

My licenses had expired by 1 week and so I too now have replacements which a good for almost 6 years. I shall be 82 then so I don't know whether I'll be needing them again. But you never know!

https://www.dlt-elearning.com/Home/ForeignerIndex

It was pretty much the same procedure in Rayong, except that I went to make the appointment in person. Letter from Immigration satisfied the address requirement.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I have just returned from Sakon Nakhon DLT offices with my new licenses. There is a new procedure in place since my last visit.

Firstly you have to download an appointment app called 'dlt smart queue' and book yourself an appointment. Mine was 1 week hence. 

You then have to go to a website called DLT E learning. (link below) create an account for yourself and login. Once in you have to watch a road safety video and answer 3 multiple choice questions. (the answers are in the video so pay attention)

Once you have successfully answered the questions the website issues you with a pass certificate which you must show when you turn up for your appointment.

My licenses had expired by 1 week and so I too now have replacements which a good for almost 6 years. I shall be 82 then so I don't know whether I'll be needing them again. But you never know!

So no more reaction, colour-blindness, peripheral vision and depth alignment tests for 5 year renewals?

23 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Moonlover
Is this a general Thailand and believe in 2022 one can go to the dlt and mine matures in May and in Kanchanaburi and did post a while ago and yes need a doctors certificate and when one renews normally they take their own photo at the Head office.
Thanks for any more help and well done.

Edited by jwest10
addition

1 hour ago, jwest10 said:

Moonlover
Is this a general Thailand and believe in 2022 one can go to the dlt and mine matures in May and in Kanchanaburi and did post a while ago and yes need a doctors certificate and when one renews normally they take their own photo at the Head office.

Download the DTL Smart Queue app and create an account.  It should be apparent from that whether it is in use in your region.

Yes I did need a doctor's certificate (which was the usual joke) and I used my yellow house book as proof of address.

And finally as, before they take do your photograph. I went in a couple of days after the old licenses had expired, so my new ones give me nearly 6 years driving and riding.

• Like 1

Obviously, procedures varies from office to office and even if in the same office it could differ day-to-day.  I renewed my license about 6 months ago, and I just went to the DLT and asked what's needed, no appointment needed, no app to download, no online learning.  I brought all the paperwork, did the eye tests and that was it.

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

So no more reaction, colour-blindness, peripheral vision and depth alignment tests for 5 year renewals?

Did I say that? Well I've never done any of the above. What I did do, just as before was a colour recognition test, which is not a colour blindness test. Just prove that you know the three traffic light colours. And there was also the braking reaction time test. I passed both with ease.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 3:35 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Very useful contribution.

I have asked before and led to believe that one can go in person to  the DLT in my case Kanchanaburi  and my existing Thai licence matures 22nd May.
Yes I believe one can but can someone please confirm or otherwise.

In addition, to take the existing license, yellow book and pink Id card and of course a fit certificate from the doctors.
Anything else and can one go in in the week before maturity of existing one or are there grace days.

Thanks so much

On 2/2/2022 at 2:37 PM, jwest10 said:

Moonlover

Yes can anyone help me and googled everywhere the DLT Headquarters in Kanchanaburi Province but no joy and see this for site for renwing licence but questions and a video and done that a couple of times.
Anyone know an email address I can use and no telephone available at the moment.
Thanks
My present licence runs out on 22nd May and don't want to apply too early but maybe go in their offices nearer the time
Thanks again

Edited by jwest10
adding

On 2/1/2022 at 3:31 PM, Moonlover said:

Thanks for your help moonlover and others too nd might wait until nearer the maturity date.

On 2/2/2022 at 4:12 PM, Moonlover said:

Did I say that? Well I've never done any of the above. What I did do, just as before was a colour recognition test, which is not a colour blindness test. Just prove that you know the three traffic light colours. And there was also the braking reaction time test. I passed both with ease.

You omitted those details from your report.  Thanks for the clarification. Good to know that the depth perception and colour blindness tests aren't required any more.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, jwest10 said:

I have asked before and led to believe that one can go in person to  the DLT in my case Kanchanaburi  and my existing Thai licence matures 22nd May.

You asked before and still have to ask?!?  Be a man/adult and just visit your local DLT and ask them.

The numbers of falangs wanting to be spoon fed information is absurd.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bbko said:

You asked before and still have to ask?!?  Be a man/adult and just visit your local DLT and ask them.

Yes wanted clarity ok but thanks for replying and as you say yet again.
So we come to you then and expert in all subjects.
Thx again

On 2/5/2022 at 2:45 AM, bbko said:

And when you provide said info, pages and pages of debate whether it is true or not.

I don't anymore - unless it is clear the poster of the question is able to digest and accept it.

Which means nearly never 555

On 2/1/2022 at 2:13 PM, Paulaew said:

I did my 5 year license renewal this year. I used my yellow tabien baan for proof of address. If you don't have the yellow book or a pink ID card, you might need a letter from your embassy for proof of address (I'm not sure what the other options might be).

My renewal was at age 68, too young for age-related questions to arise. Just had to watch an hour long safety video in Thai.

Paul Laew

If you don't have a yellow house registration book the cheapest option is obtaining a Certificate of Residence from your immigration office, ranging from 0 to 500 baht depending on office.  As an example obtaining address verification from US Embassy Bangkok costs $50 or 1,650 baht not to mention appointment and trip to and from embassy.

• Thanks 1

On 2/4/2022 at 8:55 AM, jwest10 said:

In addition, to take the existing license, yellow book and pink Id card and of course a fit certificate from the doctors.
Anything else and can one go in in the week before maturity of existing one or are there grace days.

Thanks so much

Go the day after your birthday and you will get nearly 6 years instead of 5, but you are vulnerable to being fined (1,000 baht) if stopped while driving with an expire license.

On 2/4/2022 at 10:06 AM, jwest10 said:

Yes can anyone help me and googled everywhere the DLT Headquarters in Kanchanaburi Province but no joy and see this for site for renwing licence but questions and a video and done that a couple of times.
Anyone know an email address I can use and no telephone available at the moment.
Thanks
My present licence runs out on 22nd May and don't want to apply too early but maybe go in their offices nearer the time
Thanks again

https://goo.gl/maps/Nkk2kEgQruEduomQ9

https://www.dlt.go.th/site/kanchanaburi/

On 2/2/2022 at 4:06 PM, Moonlover said:

Download the DTL Smart Queue app and create an account.  It should be apparent from that whether it is in use in your region.

I have downloaded the DLT app, it will only allow registration with a Thai id number.

When I select the Passport number option -- nothing happens.

So how can a non-Thai even use this app ?

3 minutes ago, fulhamster said:

I have downloaded the DLT app, it will only allow registration with a Thai id number.

When I select the Passport number option -- nothing happens.

So how can a non-Thai even use this app ?

That's on the way I've been told. My wife did mine for me using my Thai ID number from my yellow book. We asked about the English version whilst at the DLT and was told that it's still in development.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that aspect.