Wealthy foreigners to own small landholdings associated with homes here agreed in principle

webfact

1 hour ago, thaibook said:

You seem to have been thorough.  Unless she or a relative feel insulted for one reason or another there should be no problem to come back later.

Many years ago, I had a Thai business partner, with a well known name, at a restaurant my wife ran in London.  His approach was quite different and we fell out.  I bought out his share, he was vindictive telling Thais that if ever I went to Thailand he would have me killed, which did not prevent me going but it worried my wife.  Some years later he was working in Taiwan and behaved in a similar way.  However the Taiwanese partner reacted by having someone ambush and crack him over the head.  He nearly died but while recovering in hospital he let it be known that I was forgiven.   

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, I have received my fair share of threats and am aware I can return to the Kingdom whenever I feel like it.

I just don't see the appeal, eight years wasted with the first Thai wife then another 3 years wasted with the second Thai wife, same results, same outcome, as the Thais would say "same, same but different".

I'm done at least for the time being, I'm not even close to retirement age.

- Countries that are on my list to visit (or where I have interests in) before retirement age: France, UK, Belgium, Switzerland, Spain, Portugal.

- Countries that are on my list to visit (or settle down slowly) after retirement age: Italy, Greece, Malta, the Philippines, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Mexico, Costa Rica, Colombia.

So even at the average rate of 3 to 5 years per country exploration, I still have plenty to experience on my bucket list, Thailand is just scratched off the list and I've already owned homes twice in the Kingdom.

Thailand? Veni, Vidi, Vici.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 8:33 AM, Sydebolle said:

I'm sure the illegal Burmese, Cambodians and Laotians will be more than excited to hear the good news! 

Thais go to Saudi Arabia and Caucasians might opt for places like Singapore or similar as the entire bureaucratic environment is not alienating as in Thailand. The days of juicy salaries etc. are gone, so is the fun to work in Bangkok, traffic will crawl backwards anytime soon and a family with two kids in international schools can hardly make ends meet. 

Your call! 

2 kids at Int. school, that's around 1,5 Million a year.

3 hours ago, RafPinto said:

2 kids at Int. school, that's around 1,5 Million a year.

With Western understanding of insurance, transport, accommodation and living expenses you can double that amount. If you don't reel in at least USD 100K a year, the air can get thin at times. Nice homeleave for a month on a yearly basis = add another USD 20K for tix, rental, accommodation and food. On top of this you slap 35% income tax; you're talking something around THB 4 - 4.5 million. 

• Like 1

Guest Isaanlife
10 hours ago, Raphael Hythlodaeus said:

Sure thing -- so go and stay in the US. I'm just comparing costs in Thailand.

If you were smart, you would realize his appreciation on 38 years is not very much.

Plus it's 38 years old.

Guest Isaanlife
10 hours ago, Raphael Hythlodaeus said:

Sure thing -- so go and stay in the US. I'm just comparing costs in Thailand.

If you were smart, you would realize his appreciation on 38 years is not very much.

Plus it's 38 years old.

1 hour ago, Isaanlife said:

Plus it's 38 years old.

I'm talking about comparing renting to buying for those wishing to live in Thailand.

I'm NOT talking about investing world-wide. On that I've made huge gains in crypto, far more than any other investment including property.

Again, buying property has worked well for me in Thailand compared to renting, but that might not be the case in the future due to the unstable political situation.

Edited by Raphael Hythlodaeus
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Isaanlife said:

Plus it's 38 years old.

True.  But, for 38 years he has lived in a space that he owns, with his furniture, artwork, electronics, appliances, etc.--not the landlord's likely inferior stuff.   For 38 years he has been able to make the changes he wants to make to his space.  And, for 38 years he has saved on rent.

Someone will be along, of course, and will say if he had invested that money he would have done much better--financially.  But, sometimes life is not always just about money.  For some of us, the space we live in is very important.  I hated renting the times I was forced to rent.  I love owning my space.  But, I know others prefer to rent--it's really whatever suits your lifestyle.  

As far as investing rather than buying a property, there's no rule that you can't do both--as many of us do.  On a final bright side note, his message puts paid to the wacko poster who claimed that all condo buildings in Thailand come crashing to the ground when they reach 30 years of age.  Apparently, one has survived.  Actually two.  A couple years ago I lived in a very nice, beachfront condo project in Pattaya that was over 30 years old.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, NanaSomchai said:

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, I have received my fair share of threats and am aware I can return to the Kingdom whenever I feel like it.

I just don't see the appeal, eight years wasted with the first Thai wife then another 3 years wasted with the second Thai wife, same results, same outcome, as the Thais would say "same, same but different".

I'm done at least for the time being, I'm not even close to retirement age.

- Countries that are on my list to visit (or where I have interests in) before retirement age: France, UK, Belgium, Switzerland, Spain, Portugal.

- Countries that are on my list to visit (or settle down slowly) after retirement age: Italy, Greece, Malta, the Philippines, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Mexico, Costa Rica, Colombia.

So even at the average rate of 3 to 5 years per country exploration, I still have plenty to experience on my bucket list, Thailand is just scratched off the list and I've already owned homes twice in the Kingdom.

Thailand? Veni, Vidi, Vici.

I think in your case you mean veni, vidi, decede (does not have the same ring)

I would not live long term in any of the countries in your second list.  As to living in your first list countries - Belgium - total nono; France - OK if you speak French well; Switzerland - boring unless you are a ski nut.  UK, Spain, and Portugal - worth a try,

2 hours ago, newnative said:

On a final bright side note, his message puts paid to the wacko poster who claimed that all condo buildings in Thailand come crashing to the ground when they reach 30 years of age. 

Quite. And this 38-year old condo is much better built than any modern condo I've seen, with larger sized apartments and much more common area space which is impossible to reproduce these days due to the high land prices where the aim is to cram in as many small units as possible and sell at exorbitant prices. It's comparatively cheaper per sq. m. because Thais as a rule prefer new developments for speculation. No problem for me since I do not intend to sell and will leave it to my Thai wife of 28-years and daughter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, newnative said:

On a final bright side note, his message puts paid to the wacko poster who claimed that all condo buildings in Thailand come crashing to the ground when they reach 30 years of age. 

Quite. And this 38-year old condo is much better built than any modern condo I've seen, with larger sized apartments and much more common area space which is impossible to reproduce these days due to the high land prices where the aim is to cram in as many small units as possible and sell at exorbitant prices. It's comparatively cheaper per sq. m. because Thais as a rule prefer new developments for speculation. No problem for me since I do not intend to sell and will leave it to my Thai wife of 28-years and daughter.