MOPH Confirms No Legal Obligations For People To Wear Face Masks

snoop1130

13 hours ago, Dcheech said:

This news release soft sells what Anutin was actually saying. Anutin complained that foreigners tend not to wear masks to protect themselves and others from possible covid infections. He stated that maybe it is cultural but they will discuss it with the CCSA and what is to be done about it. That comes as Thursdays new infections topped 9,000.

SO you are free not to wear masks, but Anutin and Thailand, know who is actually spreading the virus. Go ahead, give them a visual, make his day.

Beside there is zero proof they work.

• Confused 1

Just now, chang1 said:

Have you ever looked for any proof? 

From https://www.pnas.org/content/118/4/e2014564118

F1.large.jpg

The British government have been asked asked many times to show actual proof, cabinet ministers have disclosed that there is no proof.
Countries or areas with strictly enforced mandated masks had the same infection rates as places without.
What a scientist mocks up in a lab does not work in the real world in this case.

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

They are fining people daily in Phuket for not wearing a mask while riding a motorbike. A checkpoint near where I live (Phuket) was set up over a week ago and they stop and fine anyone found doing this.

Wearing masks outside is pointless. I don't know why they bother. 

2 minutes ago, chrissables said:

The British government have been asked asked many times to show actual proof, cabinet ministers have disclosed that there is no proof.
Countries or areas with strictly enforced mandated masks had the same infection rates as places without.
What a scientist mocks up in a lab does not work in the real world in this case.

Here's a real world study for you..............

Largest study on masks and Covid-19 demonstrates their effectiveness in the real world

https://egc.yale.edu/largest-study-masks-and-covid-19-demonstrates-their-effectiveness-real-world

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, chang1 said:

Masks are worn to reduce covid infections from infected people where they do help. The only statistic I heard was a 30% reduction in infections. 

People wear masks to protect others not themselves.

If the person is infected why are they not in quarantine/isolation ?

13 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Here's a real world study for you..............

Largest study on masks and Covid-19 demonstrates their effectiveness in the real world

https://egc.yale.edu/largest-study-masks-and-covid-19-demonstrates-their-effectiveness-real-world

https://www.legis.nd.gov/assembly/67-2021/testimony/HPOLSUB-1323-20210204-5275-F-SEELY_BRADLEY.pdf

And as i mentioned already the UK government have been asked live on TalkRadio (youtube) and were unable to supply the proof.

10 minutes ago, chrissables said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/b25d1ac3-b35e-453c-918e-731e2f214131

This from the FT gives some information on this. Here they say masks reduce infections by 6 to 15%.

What were they being asked to show proof of? Very hard to compare different countries as there are too many variables. 

Common sense would suggest putting a barrier between an infected persons mouth and other people is bound to reduce infections. How much difference is up for debate. Do you have links to evidence that masks make no difference? 

The COVID Emergency Decree was just extended for another 60d/2m.

This Decree gives the regime all the authority it needs to make extra-legal requirements of citizens and aliens.

Were masks ever mentioned, in the original decree, specifically? No. Just that the public was required by law to follow all edicts.

But they were said to be mandatory in various "pronouncements". Yes, receipts can be found. Even the pm was said to have paid a 2,000 baht fine for not wearing a mask. And the health minister can be seen to be maskless, while handing out unwrapped masks.

Now the regime seems to want to back off masks, which is fine, but wants to do it in a less confrontational, and more confusing way.

Perhaps they'll form a committee to study the Mask Withdrawal policies?

14 hours ago, DaLa said:

I'm English, I have 'O' level English grammar and Literature, and I find this as clear as mud. Yes or No please.

It's not required by law, but you will be fined if you don't.  Especially if you are a foreigner.

He's basically admitting to not having legal grounds to do what he's doing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Something which blows me away in Thailand is how 99% of people are wearing masks while on motorbikes. STILL wearing masks in 2022 now.

Does anyone know if this is social pressure or are Thais really that afraid of COVID? I can understand wanting to wear masks indoors at shops but when you're alone on a motorbike???

Why does it concern you so what others do? I  am surprised you do not also comment on their lack of helmets. There is the exhaust pollution perhaps as an incentive to wear masks on the roads. I suspect they are showing consideration for others around them.... when they stop at traffic lights they are in close proximity. Also sometimes there is a passenger in very close proximity. 

Edited by jacko45k

14 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

In Thailand it is the law if someone find it is the law.... This is an example .......so easy to understand....But the real law is nowhere enforced or known

Do what Dems do in USA … No need to wear mask … Just hold breath .. LA Governor does it 555555

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Dialemco said:

Has be forgotten Thailand is still under a state of emergency which gives the Government draconian laws probably including requirement to wear face masks.

The government just came out and said there is no legal obligation in regards to the  wearing of a face mask.

Lemme see if I can find the article.

24 minutes ago, chang1 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/b25d1ac3-b35e-453c-918e-731e2f214131

This from the FT gives some information on this. Here they say masks reduce infections by 6 to 15%.

What were they being asked to show proof of? Very hard to compare different countries as there are too many variables. 

Common sense would suggest putting a barrier between an infected persons mouth and other people is bound to reduce infections. How much difference is up for debate. Do you have links to evidence that masks make no difference? 

Take a look, start a one minute and you will listen to the government minister unable to supply evidence,

11 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Thailand tends to have very little ability to reason so I expect these people to people to be in masks for years to come. Does it matter that masks have saved literally no country in the world from COVID outbreaks even though it's been tried in all countries for 2 years now? No of course not because it's basically just another article of polite society like like wearing pants.

Who ever said that mask wearing would prevent covid? 

The idea behind masks is to reduce, not eliminate.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand’s Public Health Minister confirmed that there are no laws forcing people to wear face masks,

But I read yesterday that non-wearing can amount to a fine of 1,000 baht for a first offence.. going up to 10,000 for further offences??????

10 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Just for your information @The Hammer2021 I too gained a GCE 'O' level in English Grammar and I can even remember where I sat it. The GCE 'O' level, by the way was the forerunner to the GCSE. So put your doubts back in the box.

You're mistaken.

You did not sit a "GCE 'O' level in English Grammar" exam, as no such exam existed.

You may have sat a GCE 'O' Level in English Language or English Literature exam.

Edited by macahoom
  • Thanks 2

This is typical double talk, saying it is not the law yet I notice public signs stating that

the fines could reach 20,000 baht if people were warned, sometimes low fine or higher

if the police knew they had been warned previously for not wearing a mask.  On top of

that, one cannot enter most establishments without putting on a mask and the police

have reportedly been called when someone in a store refuses to wear a mask and does

not leave that establishment.  Further, even the Prime Minister was fined for not wearing

his mask in a car.  Just saying...

29 minutes ago, chrissables said:

https://www.legis.nd.gov/assembly/67-2021/testimony/HPOLSUB-1323-20210204-5275-F-SEELY_BRADLEY.pdf

And as i mentioned already the UK government have been asked live on TalkRadio (youtube) and were unable to supply the proof.

That pdf seemed to concentrate on masks not preventing infection rather than reducing the spreading of virus laden droplets which it did acknowledge masks do help.

At first glance the graphs are convincing but then you soon realise that they are there to deceive you. The scales are far too course to show any effect. The only part of the graphs of importance is 2 weeks before masks were compulsory and 2 weeks after. Trying to see a few percent drop on those graphs is impossible. Then of course people don't wear masks 24 hours a day so probably most people get infected when they are not wearing masks. If masks reduce the infection rate by 30%, the overall infection rate might only go down 10% or even less. Another point not considered is that masks could help the most vulnerable far more than those not in high risk groups. For example - your grandparents stay at home alone most of the time so don't mix with people until they go shopping. 

This is the typical sort of propaganda antivaxxers and the like love. They never look into what they are being told and lap it up as facts. They dismiss credible studies and accept this kind of misinformation from dodgy or unknown sources without question. 

• Like 1