MOPH Confirms No Legal Obligations For People To Wear Face Masks

snoop1130

2 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Now hold on!!! NOW you're saying it's merely a suggestion but please do what we suggest or the local BiB's will fine you???

Guhdam, I thought they couldn't get any more nonsensicle (read: stupid!). This really is a new level of crazy. I tried about a year ago to get the actual law regarding mask wearing, and of course I couldn't find anything. NOW I KNOW WHY!

Does it really bother you? If so why? Just relax and  go with the flow.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Something which blows me away in Thailand is how 99% of people are wearing masks while on motorbikes. STILL wearing masks in 2022 now.

Does anyone know if this is social pressure or are Thais really that afraid of COVID? I can understand wanting to wear masks indoors at shops but when you're alone on a motorbike???

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Someone, who may or may not be authorised to do so, may fine you, based on a government regulation that he/she may or may not have heard of, and that may or may not actually exist.

I am not aware that that situation exists and would not be able to comment on it if it did in fact exist or I was made aware that it may in fact exist.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, DaLa said:

I'm English, I have 'O' level English grammar and Literature, and I find this as clear as mud. Yes or No please.

I'm English as well but I've only got a CSE in English and it's confusing for me as well. I do have an 'O' level in woodwork and if it wasn't for that I'd be even more confused. ????

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, RandolphGB said:

Legal or not, most Thais will carry on wearing them, even through they don’t make any difference to whether or not someone catches the virus 

Many Thais in BKK wear masks a lot of the time, even pre covid.  Air quality has a lot to do with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Thailand tends to have very little ability to reason so I expect these people to people to be in masks for years to come. Does it matter that masks have saved literally no country in the world from COVID outbreaks even though it's been tried in all countries for 2 years now? No of course not because it's basically just another article of polite society like like wearing pants.

I don't know of anyone who has suggested that masks will save a country from Covid nor is there any reason to think they will. Masks do have some effect in making it less likely you will be infected but they are more effective in catching droplets that come out of the nose and mouth that would pass the virus to other people.

Lockdowns and isolation have a detrimental effect on the economy and the welfare of people so their use needs to be a balanced between stopping the spread of Covid and allowing people to live as normally as possible. Masks for the most part don't have a great effect on the economy or people so if wearing one when in enclosed places and not eating or drinking can keep things as normal as possible then I'm happy to do it and I don't see why others shouldn't as well.

As for pants depending on the material they may well slow infection rates if you wear them over your head just make sure you have something else to cover your bits.

4 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Try not to worry so much

Point missed ….. by a country mile????Point is not masking here citing “ no law” might have serious consequences …. but you would have the “law” on your side to make you feel better ???? there,  I’ve explained it for you….

15 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

Point missed ….. by a country mile????Point is not masking here citing “ no law” might have serious consequences …. but you would have the “law” on your side to make you feel better ???? there,  I’ve explained it for you….

Don't obsess so much. It's silly.

1 hour ago, arithai12 said:

By the same token, people should not wear helmets when riding a motorbike because people have died of traffic accidents in every country where helmet is mandatory.
And you blame Thailand for little ability to reason?

Some people on this forum  blame Thais and Thailand  for everything.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I never had an issue wearing a mask inside publoc buildings shops and public transport etc and still don't, but when the stupididy came along like outdoors  or alone  in your own car etc it then became a joke and went too far   

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Thailand tends to have very little ability to reason so I expect these people to people to be in masks for years to come. Does it matter that masks have saved literally no country in the world from COVID outbreaks even though it's been tried in all countries for 2 years now? No of course not because it's basically just another article of polite society like like wearing pants.

Face masks are useful in reducing the rate of new infections. 

It's like seat belts, they don't prevent everyone from dying, but they save some. Oh, you don't like seat belts, either.... Sorry. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

An O level in English Grammar. It appears you have scaled the dizzy heights of academia indeed. But I doubt the existence of such a qualification.

Why do you doubt its existence ? Cos you dont know nuffin ! ( Yes, that is a real word in London ! )  I have one too as that is the standard English O level qualification when I was at school. All my class passed it. I bet you ain't English !

12 hours ago, Kuzbidon said:

Interesting huge RCT  study on mask intervention by Yale University in Bangladesh give interesting insights on mask wearing against covid in 19.

IMHO Scientific evidences are too light to fine people but don't underestimate the placebo effect of mask (like talisman).

https://www.argmin.net/2021/11/23/mask-rct-revisited/

That study seemed to be looking at how well masks stop the wearer from getting infected. The common masks used do little to protect the wearer and certainly in the UK have not been claimed to do so.

Masks are worn to reduce covid infections from infected people where they do help. The only statistic I heard was a 30% reduction in infections. 

People wear masks to protect others not themselves. When flying I wear an FP3 mask which will give me some protection but they are not practical for everyday use.

12 hours ago, Crossy said:

still don't know if I can grow weed so long as I don't smoke it, or smoke it so long as I don't grow it, or something completely different!

Nor do they. Everything here clear as mud...or grey at best.