Bank Book damaged metal strip

I recently tried to scan my bank book in a machine in Khon Kaen for update and mini statement for Immigration report.  ( I later tried in my local bank - same problem. )
It would not scan and tried to write over existing print tried inside the bank and same problem also tried another branch - same problem !

I asked the the original bank for a new book explaining that its important, they told me I have to report to the police that the book had been stolen before they can issue a new book.   They were very guarded ( eyes down ) about why I had to report to the police and wouldn't answer why they just cant cancel one book and issue s new one.
Have 2 accounts for years same bank - K Bank

Any one else had this problem ?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

I asked the the original bank for a new book explaining that its important, they told me I have to report to the police that the book had been stolen before they can issue a new book.  

Strange.  The only time you would need a police report is if the book was no longer in your possession (i.e., lost/stolen).  But that's clearly not the case.  I've had to replace a passbook before (BKK Bank) due to it being full and the bank did it without a problem.  So...not sure why your bank would not just replace it.

Edited by Berkshire

12 hours ago, Mister T said:

Have had similar problems, go into the branch and ask them to reset the magnetic swipe on the bank book. They just swipe it through their scanner and it should work again.

The same happened to me a couple of times with different banks, and as you say, easily sorted by the cashier re-coding the magnetic strip.

5 hours ago, ianguygil said:

Well. There are many, many people on this forum I have helped over the years who will vouch for me. I am a direct report to the CEO of Bangkok Bank. Accusing people of dishonesty is not polite at all. 

This member has proven to be a very helpful contributor to this forum and its members.

As a Moderator here I have no doubt whatsoever as to his credentials or sincerity.

Any derogatory remarks or insinuations will be removed.

• Like 2

On 2/4/2022 at 6:33 PM, kralledr said:

I had the same issue a few times, try another machine, or just (really) make 50 to 100 1 bath deposits so it get full and then you get a new one ^^

OP - tried other machines in Khon Kaen same problem.
Went to KBank in Central and they, with somewhat showing it was difficult/ not often done/hassle did something on their bank systems and printed in the book not using ATM.
Will try my local bank.
As its the bank deposit for visa dont want the hassle as only use one time a year.

On 2/4/2022 at 11:11 AM, Speedo1968 said:

They were very guarded ( eyes down ) about why I had to report to the police and wouldn't answer why they just cant cancel one book and issue s new one.

What language did you speak to them in?

Last time I went to that branch, they couldn't speak English. 

7 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

In Banphai branch only one lady seems to have enough English, mind you there are only a very few falang here

If you can't speak Thai, you can hardly blame the bank for not being able to explain the reason to you. 

• Like 1