Work Permit and doing work outside employer's company

Hello everyone,

I have been legally working for Thai company, for a few years already.

Currently some company, which is not my employer, would like to hire me to do a one-time project for them. We have discussed payment terms, and they mentioned, that they will deduct 3% Withholding tax when transferring money to me. That means, I will need to declare an extra income in Revenue department, when submitting ภ.ง.ด. 91 tax form next year. This form next goes to Labor department for Work Permit renewal.

My question is, if it's going to bring any legal issue with Labor department to me ?

Appreciate for sharing your experiences.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

If you have a work permit you can work for another employer now.

Best to get a approval of it from your current employer.

I agree with this statement.

Many employers don't allow their employees to do any other jobs. Make sure you don't do something which will jeopardize your main job. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I agree with this statement.

Many employers don't allow their employees to do any other jobs. Make sure you don't do something which will jeopardize your main job. 

"Many employers don't allow their employees to do any other jobs."

- Especially if it's a business competitor?

- Using time and energy (and perhaps resources) which should be devoted to the main employer.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you have a work permit you can work for another employer now.

Best to get a approval of it from your current employer.

However ! Your Employer may well take a very dim view upon you " Moonlighting " for another Company.

Such things as trust are Employed to an Employee when they sign a Contract of work, and you may well be seen as breaching that trust.

Iffy Ground me thinks

8 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

However ! Your Employer may well take a very dim view upon you " Moonlighting " for another Company.

Such things as trust are Employed to an Employee when they sign a Contract of work, and you may well be seen as breaching that trust.

That could be a problem if the 2nd job was a competitor of the company you were working for. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Iffy Ground me thinks

Also depends on the nature/role involved.

- Some jobs require the position holder to do a lot of thinking/create and innovate/gain improvements in the attractiveness of the product or service/gain additional revenues and margins and gain cost improvements. And probably meaning serious targets to be achieved.

That's the nature/role/ouputs expected and it's probably not a 9 to 5 position and that's well known by all parties. And very probably means higher salary and benefits.

In this case the employer would likely be quite upset if the employee is working another job.