What is the advantage of an expensive smart phone?

OneMoreFarang

11 hours ago, Isaanlife said:

My son sent me an Iphone 13 Pro. 

I have never used Iphone and it is a pain when using a Windows PC.

Aside of the camera, which I think is quite great, I have no need for such an expensive phone.

I have like 2 people I call, my son and my wife.

Quite sure I could do that with any phone.

I don't want to be tied to the internet everywhere I go.

It’s one of those things, you now have the ability to use the internet if you want/need whereas I assume you previously couldn’t.

Unless you want to be stubborn about it there will be times when you’ll find it useful.

There is a tipping point which becomes obsession, which I doubt you’ll find.

• Like 2

I jumped to  the last page so .........this has all probably been said before. 

Isn't it obvious? 
Camera quality is MUCH better.

Memory is bigger (which not only means you can take lots of pics and videos, but you can download many apps (and they work!)

Longevity  (quality again) 

More RAM  (so you can do more, faster) 
I normally find that people who have cheap phones don't use them for much. 

ps Is the OP a troll?   

46 minutes ago, Henryford said:

People like to have quality products. Why buy a Merc when a Kia does the same job. Why have a leather sofa and not a plastic one. Why have a 65 in TV not 42in. I like to have a glass phone not plastic, a good, fast charging battery, a decent camera, big memory for storage, good clear screen with fast scrolling. And yes a good looking phone, which is not something you can really quantify but feels good in the hand. Having said that i usually only pay 13-18,000 baht which covers all these points. No way would i pay 40-50,000 just to show off how rich, or stupid,  i am.

I don't see the comparison between Kia and a Merc is relevant. It is about safety and comfort. The size of tv is about (should be) the size of the room, and how far away you sit from the tv. If you only use phone for social media, and easy tasks like bank service etc, it become more a jewelry to show off.

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

For me:

peace of mine that your phone is secure with your financial transactions, private that they are not tracking you,

confidence that it is reliable since you store sensitive information in it, updates their software for malware and ease of use without opening their manual every time you upgrade the phone.  

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Sorry to burst your bubble. I know it must be hard for you. Modern PCs are more powerful. And one of the reasons is that those CPUs and big cooling elements don't fit into mobile phones. But the way you argue it seems you never saw a powerful desktop PC CPU so let me help you to understand:

Cooler-Master-V8-GTS-01.jpg

Nice cooler!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Come on. Phones are good for Radio, Music, Skype, Whats App, Line, actually making PHONE CALLS, but as you say, NOT for photographing meals, and the groups partaking is said meals, 20 duplicate photos of babies, etc. They can be useful as a dash cam. Oh yes, and banking!

I think photographing meals is perfectly alright, if it doesn't become an obsession.

And my 8000 THB phone is good enough for those "meal" pictures. Bon Appétit! 

IMG_20220202_151837.thumb.jpg.87279085f0d6776cff016bd6202cd0b4.jpg

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, fiddlehead said:

I jumped to  the last page so .........this has all probably been said before. 

Isn't it obvious? 
Camera quality is MUCH better.

Memory is bigger (which not only means you can take lots of pics and videos, but you can download many apps (and they work!)

Longevity  (quality again) 

More RAM  (so you can do more, faster) 
I normally find that people who have cheap phones don't use them for much. 

ps Is the OP a troll?   

The OP is not a troll.

And what you describe are things which are better in better phones like a better camera.

I was asking for things which some expensive phones can do which cheap phones can't do, i.e. LIDAR.

More memory is a good idea. But normally there is something like enough memory. I.e. my current phone has 8GB RAM which seems to be enough to run all applications which I need at the same time. More RAM wouldn't make it respond faster. I am sure in a few years 8GB won't be enough anymore and then I will buy another phone. But even if I would buy now a phone with 16GB I am sure I would need a new one in a couple of years.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, plus7 said:

I bought Samsung phone for about 9k. Navigation in Bangkok works very bad, it constantly switching roads offering different routes every 5 minutes.

At the same time, more expensive phone works very well.

And what kind of map you using ????

Oh man, good one

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Henryford said:

People like to have quality products. Why buy a Merc when a Kia does the same job. Why have a leather sofa and not a plastic one. Why have a 65 in TV not 42in. I like to have a glass phone not plastic, a good, fast charging battery, a decent camera, big memory for storage, good clear screen with fast scrolling. And yes a good looking phone, which is not something you can really quantify but feels good in the hand. Having said that i usually only pay 13-18,000 baht which covers all these points. No way would i pay 40-50,000 just to show off how rich, or stupid,  i am.

Thanks for your answer.

And I am sure what you write makes sense for you.

Like I mentioned earlier, I didn't start this thread to bash on people who have expensive phones. For some people a better look and a better camera are reasons enough to buy better phones. Others, like me, look for more functions. And this is obviously personal taste.

9 minutes ago, plus7 said:

I bought Samsung phone for about 9k. Navigation in Bangkok works very bad, it constantly switching roads offering different routes every 5 minutes.

The problem here is with Samsung you are paying a premium for the brand. So your 9K Samsung is likely the equivalent to a 5K second or third tier brand in performance. I have a new Vivo Y76 at 8500 baht and it works great with all apps and navigation connected to my Android Auto system in the car.

22 minutes ago, Alotoftravel said:

For me:

peace of mine that your phone is secure with your financial transactions, private that they are not tracking you,

confidence that it is reliable since you store sensitive information in it, updates their software for malware and ease of use without opening their manual every time you upgrade the phone.  

Are more expensive phone more secure?

I think by now so many things are in the cloud that it is almost impossible to control what is out there. And with the NSA and Mossad and whatever the Chinese equivalent is called out there is our data ever secure? I don't think so.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, plus7 said:

I am not familiar with Samsung but I wonder if better Samsung phones have better navigation software. Otherwise navigation should be the same if the phone can receive the GPS signals.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tonray said:

The problem here is with Samsung you are paying a premium for the brand. So your 9K Samsung is likely the equivalent to a 5K second or third tier brand in performance. I have a new Vivo Y76 at 8500 baht and it works great with all apps and navigation connected to my Android Auto system in the car.

I am sure there is some extra price for that Samsung name on the phone. But as far as I know at least some Samsung phones guarantee faster updates and that for years. That is an advantage over other phones. But obviously it depends on the user and usage how much people are willing to pay for this.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Google is the best option for Thailand, and google is an app, and every other app or map software, using Google service. Almost 100% sure, ø if not correct, please correct me.

I would be very surprised if Apple would use Google Maps.

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I would be very surprised if Apple would use Google Maps.

I believe google share service in area where they ar not up to date, and most apps is based on google maps. That doesnt mean they are live cooperating, just buying and sharing parts, and as far I know, google is the most updated one, both offline and online world wide.

45 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I don't see the comparison between Kia and a Merc is relevant. It is about safety and comfort. The size of tv is about (should be) the size of the room, and how far away you sit from the tv. If you only use phone for social media, and easy tasks like bank service etc, it become more a jewelry to show off.

I disagree, we are talking about those kind of differences. A more expensive phone is often watertight (not all of us use it but I do as a klutz). Usually faster better battery life and better protection (the glass is of better quality you can look it up). All things come at a price. Now it really depends on how much you use.

For me a 30K phone is expensive but 10k a year for a phone is nothing (i use it 3 years at least). As i said it depends on what you use it for how much you got to spend and such things. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robblok said:

I disagree, we are talking about those kind of differences. A more expensive phone is often watertight (not all of us use it but I do as a klutz). Usually faster better battery life and better protection (the glass is of better quality you can look it up). All things come at a price. Now it really depends on how much you use.

For me a 30K phone is expensive but 10k a year for a phone is nothing (i use it 3 years at least). As i said it depends on what you use it for how much you got to spend and such things. 

I believe OP was looking for software, and a cheaper phone that lasted longest so far, still got it in use for my Norwegian number, is Apple SE first generation. Have survived 100 falls from the table at least, but battery is <deleted> like most apple phones. 

You got quite a few brands who are cheap bricks out there with better battery capasity, strong, well built and good and almost unbrakable glasses, and also waterproved, or watersplash safe

• Like 1

I was forced to buy a smart phone 3 yrs ago in Singapore when my Nokia was no longer compatible with a new Sim card. Bought a cheap 200 SD phone. It was OK but decided why do I always try to be so cheap when I have the money for better so got myself the latest samsung 21 series. Very nice. If money is not an issue, get the top model of whatever brand you like. 

I forgot to mention the more expensive phones receive longer support on their operating system (android) They are updated longer and that leads to a longer life as some apps just need a higher version of android.

Don't forget more expensive phones have more sensors better GPS and storage. Its not just about processor speed. If you dont use it fine you can get by with a cheaper phone. 

Not everything is a rip off guys, sometimes you do get what you pay for.

27 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am sure there is some extra price for that Samsung name on the phone. But as far as I know at least some Samsung phones guarantee faster updates and that for years. That is an advantage over other phones. But obviously it depends on the user and usage how much people are willing to pay for this.

Samsung seem to have much better testing vs Xiaomi for example who seem to release products prior to be fully tested but they are cheaper

• Like 1