What is the advantage of an expensive smart phone?

OneMoreFarang

5 hours ago, robblok said:

Im old school, I love my big screens. But its all a matter of preferences. Plus i like a real keyboard works better for posting. But not everyone needs it. I can type with 10 fingers and blind too. So for me a phone is far to slow if i want to post on forums.

Most of your posts aren't that long, you really get the PC on, big keyboard out for that? your post above i could do in less than a minute with 2 thumbs

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Most of your posts aren't that long, you really get the PC on, big keyboard out for that? your post above i could do in less than a minute with 2 thumbs

I don't get on the PC to post. I am just home a lot (i like it that way) and the computer is on for many things movies / work / games / research  ect. So I just don't us the phone while a much better and easier way is available for me.

Posts like the one you refer  too are indeed short and fast to make. But i got quite a few that are not. I have always liked PC's so its just a choice. If your out a lot then sure a phone is good. It all depends how you live your life. 

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 9:02 AM, plus7 said:

I bought Samsung phone for about 9k. Navigation in Bangkok works very bad, it constantly switching roads offering different routes every 5 minutes.

At the same time, more expensive phone works very well.

I think the community misunderstood. I also use Google Maps. But it seems that GPS chip in this Samsung model is not very sharp. Allowing +-10 meters mistake it finds itself on completely different road.

Tons of reasons, if you spend a lot of time on your phone, I don't see why people aren't willing to spend extra money on something they use everyday. 

Better screen (resolution, brightness, size), better battery life, faster operating system, security, faster mobile internet (5G), ability to hotspot wifi. 

Makes things more efficient, watching videos, playing music, browsing internet, banking, social media, gaming, etc. 

Edited by dj230
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, dj230 said:

Tons of reasons, if you spend a lot of time on your phone, I don't see why people aren't willing to spend extra money on something they use everyday. 

Better screen (resolution, brightness, size), better battery life, faster operating system, security, faster mobile internet (5G), ability to hotspot wifi. 

Makes things more efficient, watching videos, playing music, browsing internet, banking, social media, gaming, etc. 

My Poco M3 (6.3") phone does all of that for 3,700bht.

I really don't understand what I could buy that would be better ..................

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not sure someone did mention it here, but if you are riding motorbikes and use your phone as gps on the handlebar,  especially Iphoness got their optical image stabilization broken. So worth to check if your new high end phone Wille take the vibration when riding.

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I like thy swift automtx typping, wks very wll and fatse

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BE88 said:

I only need my mobile phone for making calls and for what has been created and not to know where I am going and who I meet and in which bar girl I am.

If you have a Samsung Flipz, you won't need to pay for sex.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Don't let technology leave you behind, you'll need it more and more

Do not believe that if I only use the mobile phone to make a phone call, I am not aware of technology, using technology means knowing how to choose what to use and not to use, knowledge of technology means not using it against you, but I think it is a concept that does not you would still have identified since you are an unconditional employee.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BE88 said:

Do not believe that if I only use the mobile phone to make a phone call, I am not aware of technology, using technology means knowing how to choose what to use and not to use, knowledge of technology means not using it against you, but I think it is a concept that does not you would still have identified since you are an unconditional employee.

With respect, you’re saying that there’s nothing wrong with horses and carts, which is correct but how many of us use them for our daily commute ?

We cannot stop technology (not until we completely stuff the planet anyway) and in many ways life could be better if we were able to step back in time 100/200 years, but life was harder too…

2 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

With respect, you’re saying that there’s nothing wrong with horses and carts, which is correct but how many of us use them for our daily commute ?

We cannot stop technology (not until we completely stuff the planet anyway) and in many ways life could be better if we were able to step back in time 100/200 years, but life was harder too…

Please re-read what I wrote and don't comment on what I didn't say.

On 2/6/2022 at 3:53 PM, dj230 said:

I agree 100%. I use my phone for thousands of hours over it's life, more than any other device. Yet an extra 10 baht a day on it's initial purchase makes the difference between a <deleted> phone and a good one.

59 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I agree 100%. I use my phone for thousands of hours over it's life, more than any other device. Yet an extra 10 baht a day on it's initial purchase makes the difference between a <deleted> phone and a good one.

There is a middle way somewhere. I build my desktop PC with good parts. I spend i.e. about 5,000THB just for keyboard and mouse so I am not really a cheap Charlie. I also bought a relative expensive and sturdy and reliable ThinkPad. But I have a medium priced (about 8,500 THB) phone. I started this thread because I would be willing to spend more money on a phone if I would really see a difference in it's performance - or the part which I want and need. I.e. my phone has a plastic case and plastic outside rim (not sure if that is the correct term). I like that it is plastic because when it falls down then the plastic cover does not break and the plastic rims are protection. I wouldn't want a phone with glass in the back and glass on the sides because it can crack much easier. I know more expensive phones have better cameras. But looking at the pictures from my current camera I am delighted how good they are. I don't imagine that a better camera would make much of a difference to the kind of pictures which I make. And as discussed earlier in this thread even the best phone camera can't compete with a "real" camera i.e. for portraits with blurred background.

It's no problem for me if people spend more and obviously they wouldn't care even if I would consider that to be a problem.

But even after reading all the posts here and having enough money available I am still not convinced that I would prefer/want/need a more expensive phone.

• Like 1

Probably mentioned, as I didn't read previous replies.  It's the camera that 'should' dictate the price.  Operating systems, top line are are about the same, and more than anyone really needs.  Camera sensor and ability to change setting sets them apart.

New iPhone & G Pixel 6 are simply amazing, and almost equal to any $1000 entry level interchangeable lens camera kit.

Already have a few of those camera kits, I did still want one, phone, with a decent camera.  But not going to pay crazy baht for  it.   Went with POCO X3 (Xiaomi), and all of ฿7300 & has very good 'pro' camera, and eis vid, for those times I'm caught out without one of my camera kits.  Main selling point, aside from camera, one of the last phones, with removable battery.

For me, it's nothing more than a camera, GPS, that on rare occasions, I use to make a phone call.

On 2/6/2022 at 9:53 AM, dj230 said:

better screen agreed , but only minor difference and prob not seen when not comparing side by side . better battery life , depending on phone to phone , faster processor and/or more features drains your battery faster . faster operating system , really ... if you buy a new phone all got +/- the same operating system it isn't faster , the processor can do it faster but the operating system is just the same android or apple thing . security ? what security feature is done by expensive phone which is not done on cheaper phone ? faster mobile internet , 5G ? yes prob if your operator supports it , and when do you actually need 5G ? I can perfectly what any movie ,stream music ... on 4G . Hotspot wifi , even the cheapest phone can do hotspot wifi , for many years already .

The difference between a 10k phone and 30k phone is very very small . You want to buy a expensive phone , ok , everybody does what they want to do , but there is no reason to do so .

• Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 9:50 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

what do we get more

1. Envious stares with that "i can't unsee what i just saw" facial expression

2. Lag-free surfing, chatting, dating, online banking, crypto trading, emailing, skyping, netflixing, scamming, boiler rooming etc

3. Wishful thinking that the phone is warranty protected if it ever gets bricked or accidentally flushed down the toilet.

4. Cameras that give one that warm fuzzy feeling of a Jimmy Nelson clone.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, sezze said:

better screen agreed , but only minor difference and prob not seen when not comparing side by side . better battery life , depending on phone to phone , faster processor and/or more features drains your battery faster . faster operating system , really ... if you buy a new phone all got +/- the same operating system it isn't faster , the processor can do it faster but the operating system is just the same android or apple thing . security ? what security feature is done by expensive phone which is not done on cheaper phone ? faster mobile internet , 5G ? yes prob if your operator supports it , and when do you actually need 5G ? I can perfectly what any movie ,stream music ... on 4G . Hotspot wifi , even the cheapest phone can do hotspot wifi , for many years already .

The difference between a 10k phone and 30k phone is very very small . You want to buy a expensive phone , ok , everybody does what they want to do , but there is no reason to do so .

There's quite a significant difference in the screens, I used to sell cellphones in high school as a side job to make money, not only is the screen better on an iPhone, the size makes a huge difference. The screen isn't just more clear/bright, the actual UI is more smooth as well. I.e 120hz vs 60hz (iPhone 12 Pro vs iPhone 13 pro)

Actually a faster processor/more features doesn't necessarily mean less battery life, because when you pay more you get a bigger/better battery. i.e iPhone 13 pro max vs iPhone 13 pro or iPhone 12 vs iPhone 13.

A more expensive phone means you can get an iPhone instead of an android or other operating system, although it's true when you're upgrading from one iPhone to the next you're getting the same operating system, some features on the operating system will only be available on the newer phone due to hardware upgrades. i.e face ID is one example

The newer chips in iPhones have more security features. 

Are you serious? 5G is more than 10x faster than 4G in download speeds, it's like saying you want to use dial up when broadband internet was discovered. Sure you can download movies, wait a few hours and then watch later or stream in lower resolutions, but this is 2022, whether you upgrade to a 5G device now or in a few years is up to you, but it will eventually happen. The wifi chip determines the speed of the wifi hotspot, so a cheap phone will be significantly slower. I can hotspot to my laptop with my iPhone and get 200+mbps download on average, I can even game with my iPhone hotspot. That alone can eliminate the need for any internet service. 

I am listing reasons to get a more expensive phone, I never said it was needed, you can survive on a Nokia flip phone as well. 

How can you say there is no reason to do so when all the listed reasons are valid?

Edited by dj230