What is the advantage of an expensive smart phone?

OneMoreFarang

4 minutes ago, grain said:

I've often wonder this too, why someone would pay 20,000-30,000 Bt or more for a smartphone. Mine is a Redmi Note 10, cost 6000 Bt. Excellent screen quality, fast, good battery life, good ram, 3 sim slots (very handy) being Android there are tons of free apps.

The camera is excellent. I'm a serious photographer, it's my main hobby, and I currently own 2 high end cameras: a Fujifilm xf10 and a Sony rx100m2...and I hardly ever use them because there's no advantage to carrying a camera when I have my smartphone with me all the time. My smartphone images are as good - and often better - than taken with either camera.

How about the depth of focus (not sure if that is the correct term).

Would you be able to take a picture like this on a mobile phone?

depth-of-field-girls-beautiful-hd-wallpa

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And do you type with two thumbs? Or is there now a phone with 10 finger typing?

Yes i type with 2 thumbs which is fast enough, enables me to also watch TV, watch golf, YouTube, podcast, listen to radio. I can't imagine plonking myself down in front of a PC

• Confused 1

Why do people buy a expensive car ,a cheap car brings you everywhere just the same . Why do people buy a expensive tv ? You can ask it for just about everything , sometimes there is a real difference , most of the times the differences are much smaller . Especially in technology , anything from 5y ago is now in the cheapest models on the market . People spend their money on what they want , everybody to it's own choice .

8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Depth of field is the term and no, despite what some people may say, there are many situations when a camera phone cannot do what a "real" camera with interchangeable lenses can do. That's not to say that in the right hands a camera phone cannot yield great results, because it can.

Edited by mstevens
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

Iphone 13 - 128GB  29,900 baht. Pay with Thai credit card promotion - 2,990 per month x 10 months.....perfect !  

Its not a special deal as seen here directly from apple 

฿29,900.00

Approximately including VAT: ฿1,956.00*

฿2,990.00/month 0 interest for 10 months

https://www.apple.com/th/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-13/จอภาพขนาด-6.1-นิ้ว-128gb-น้ำเงิน

53 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Its not a special deal as seen here directly from apple 

฿29,900.00

Approximately including VAT: ฿1,956.00*

฿2,990.00/month 0 interest for 10 months

https://www.apple.com/th/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-13/จอภาพขนาด-6.1-นิ้ว-128gb-น้ำเงิน

"Promotion" was the word employees were using, sold I said when foreigners were included as well........

Edited by CANSIAM

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Is there a reason why you recommend that thing? Or do you think this "special price" is reason enough?

2990 a month seemed easier to swallow, put the 29,900 out of mind then its a "special price"

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

2990 a month seemed easier to swallow, put the 29,900 out of mind then its a "special price"

But its not a special price as the Normal price on Apple website is 29,900 or 2,990 instalments over 10 months

If Apple was selling it at 25,000 that would be a special price as they would be selling for less than their own dealers

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

But its not a special price as the Normal price on Apple website is 29,900 or 2,990 instalments over 10 months

If Apple was selling it at 25,000 that would be a special price as they would be selling for less than their own dealers

Correct fully aware its not special, my due date sms alert of 2990  is easier on my eyes.......lol

• Like 1

12 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's called bokeh. Not every mobile phone camera could do a shot like this. My Redmi does have full manual options where one can choose aperture, shutter speed and ISO. It also has a 1/2" Sony sensor. I wouldn't go as far as recommend using a smartphone for studio/fashion photography but for posting photos on FB and other social media sites a decent smartphone camera is really all one needs these days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is a 

Apple iPhone 13 vs Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro: Comparison

Apple Iphone 13 cost 29,990 Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8GB/128GB cost 8,000

https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare/apple-iphone-13,xiaomi-redmi-note-10-pro

the redmi note 10 is last year model there is a update being released this month the Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro the initial reviews indicate that the some of the cameras have been downgraded 

1 hour ago, grain said:

It's called bokeh. Not every mobile phone camera could do a shot like this. My Redmi does have full manual options where one can choose aperture, shutter speed and ISO. It also has a 1/2" Sony sensor. I wouldn't go as far as recommend using a smartphone for studio/fashion photography but for posting photos on FB and other social media sites a decent smartphone camera is really all one needs these days.

I would love to see features like that on a phone. But I am a little confused. I just check a few webpages and videos about the Redmi Note 10 and I didn't find anywhere that it allows to set aperture.

I saw there is a Pro camera setting. I have a Mi Poco X3 Pro (same manufacturer, about 8000B) and it also has a Pro camera setting. I just checked it out and I still see no manual setting of the aperture.

Where is this feature? Do you have a screenshot or a link to an article or video? Thanks. 

I just found this article:

https://smartphone-photography.com/can-i-achieve-bokeh-with-my-camera-phone-get-sparkling-results/

Bokeh effect with dual-camera phones

Dual-camera smartphones don’t produce a real Bokeh effect, at least not as DSLR or mirrorless cameras would. Mobile phones have tiny lenses and sensors. They cannot fit large hardware to get the same results. That’s why smartphones have to simulate the Bokeh effect with software. Dual or multi-camera phones take multiple pictures with different settings and combine them as one. 

P.S.: I have an old Nikon FA and I know how aperture is supposed to work.

Edited by OneMoreFarang

14 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I don't miss a big screen one bit. i use brave on my phone and the forum comes through very clear perfect size

Im old school, I love my big screens. But its all a matter of preferences. Plus i like a real keyboard works better for posting. But not everyone needs it. I can type with 10 fingers and blind too. So for me a phone is far to slow if i want to post on forums.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I would love to see features like that on a phone. But I am a little confused. I just check a few webpages and videos about the Redmi Note 10 and I didn't find anywhere that it allows to set aperture.

I saw there is a Pro camera setting. I have a Mi Poco X3 Pro (same manufacturer, about 8000B) and it also has a Pro camera setting. I just checked it out and I still see no manual setting of the aperture.

Where is this feature? Do you have a screenshot or a link to an article or video? Thanks. 

I just found this article:

https://smartphone-photography.com/can-i-achieve-bokeh-with-my-camera-phone-get-sparkling-results/

Bokeh effect with dual-camera phones

Dual-camera smartphones don’t produce a real Bokeh effect, at least not as DSLR or mirrorless cameras would. Mobile phones have tiny lenses and sensors. They cannot fit large hardware to get the same results. That’s why smartphones have to simulate the Bokeh effect with software. Dual or multi-camera phones take multiple pictures with different settings and combine them as one. 

P.S.: I have an old Nikon FA and I know how aperture is supposed to work.

As you say there's a Pro setting, that's it. You can manually set WB-F-S-ISO-EV-LENS. Furthermore in the Portrait Mode you can adjust the aperture in post from f16 to f1.0. If selecting f1.0 you get a bokeh result very close to the image you posted, however this may be a simulation feature as you have indicated above. 

Anyway, we're now comparing apples with coconuts. Let's bear in mind this thread is about comparing mid-range smartphones to high end smartphones. All I've said is the camera in my 6000 Bt smartphone produces such clear, well exposed and sharp images I no longer bother to carry one of my more expensive cameras. Obviously a smartphone camera has limitations when compared to high end DSLRs cameras with full frame sensors.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alien365 said:

I've had the same phone for a while now and I'm very happy with it. I like the battery life, the size and the macro camera. My wife takes pictures of her cactus and small flowers with it all the time. I take pics of small insects or things like that. For a phone the quality is very impressive for the price. Portrait mode on the camera does let you choose the f stop but the brokeh (quality, not amount of blur) is not great in my mind. 

On another point, I know that some feel appearance is important and part of the reason they buy expensive phones, but I feel most put them in a case as soon as they get them anyway. A couple of days ago we bought an ipad. They didn't have the colour my wife wanted, but now it's in a case so we'll never see the colour again until we buy a new case

IMG_20220130_115556.jpg

IMG_20220201_095136.jpg

Those photos are excellent.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, alien365 said:

I've had the same phone for a while now and I'm very happy with it. I like the battery life, the size and the macro camera. My wife takes pictures of her cactus and small flowers with it all the time. I take pics of small insects or things like that. For a phone the quality is very impressive for the price. Portrait mode on the camera does let you choose the f stop but the brokeh (quality, not amount of blur) is not great in my mind. 

On another point, I know that some feel appearance is important and part of the reason they buy expensive phones, but I feel most put them in a case as soon as they get them anyway. A couple of days ago we bought an ipad. They didn't have the colour my wife wanted, but now it's in a case so we'll never see the colour again until we buy a new case

IMG_20220130_115556.jpg

IMG_20220201_095136.jpg

Excellent photos,I have the same phone and what I like about  Xiaomi is they provide

Security update support end date: Mar. 2024 Frequency of security update: Every 90 days

and future operating system upgrades for at least 2 generations

https://www.mi.com/global/service/support/security-update-1.html

Some Phone manufacturers once the phone has been released that it as far as security updates or any firmware updates or and operating system upgrades

• Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 7:57 PM, scubascuba3 said:
On 2/4/2022 at 7:54 PM, robblok said:

I know, happend once so far. But motorbikes are far easier to park and far faster. Like i said matter of preference. When i take the car out a trip take 3 times as long and parking is much harder. Its not as if I plan to drive the bike when it rains..  it just happens. 

If it rains just put the phone under the seat, it won't get wet

Doesn't anybody wear cargo pants or shorts any more?

Sheesh!