What is the advantage of an expensive smart phone?

OneMoreFarang

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I believe OP was looking for software, and a cheaper phone that lasted longest so far, still got it in use for my Norwegian number, is Apple SE first generation. Have survived 100 falls from the table at least, but battery is <deleted> like most apple phones. 

You got quite a few brands who are cheap bricks out there with better battery capasity, strong, well built and good and almost unbrakable glasses, and also waterproved, or watersplash safe

The question was not what phones are good and cheap, the topic was what are the advantages of a more expensive smart phone. 

There are legio reasons to buy a more expensive phone, test have been done phones have been compared and guess what the more expensive ones win. They have better GPS, better water proofing, faster storage, better glass, (can look it all up). 

The question should not be what are the advantages of a more expensive phone, the question should be is it worth it if I use ......... 

Because more expensive phones are better last longer and are faster have more and more accurate sensors. Its a total waste of money if you don't use those features. For me its totally worth it. Have had my S10 for 3 years now. Still gets all the updates and is still fast good battery life and still can say submerged in water without problems. (feature for a klutz) Same as i bought earphones that can be submerged in water as i sweat that much. 

The question is really what will you be using it for, same as with a PC or gym or car or whatever. Or you should say i have only this to spend what is the bare minimum phone that does xxxx as i need it for. 

Same for gyms some will be ok with 2kg dumbbells while others will need adjustable ones that go to xx  kilos. (giving this example as i know you work out). Its all based on what you will be using the phone for. 

• Like 1

Important for me beside the s-pen is double sim to use both my Thai and German number. A fairly good camera for the fast shot and enough storage for my music and audiobooks.

All of that I can't get with cheap phones.

Routing with Google maps or offline (Sygic) would work with every phone, I guess.

My Note20pro will do until Samsung brings a S-model with pen included.

• Like 1

The main reason I buy the iPhone is it's ability to sync with my Apple desktop and MacBook. Allows me access to files, favorites, browser history, etc that I don't upload to the cloud.

My understanding is that the camera is also of much better quality than the less expensive phones. Better security features?

My 10 yr old has been using a far less expensive RealMe 5 for a couple years. The boy has beat the life out of it but it keeps going. No issues, runs YouTube and online gaming with ease and with no issues. I would be very surprised if an iPhone could withstand the same abuse. 

As we know, one is also paying a premium for the name.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I agree. Mass market mainstream Starbucks is something for people who have no idea about how coffee should taste. ???? 

1458222679_DoubleLavazza.thumb.jpg.eb05178744f0e4a97edcf35a909c1a77.jpg

We have to make a coffee tread 

Best coffeemaker, beans,,,,,,

Edited by Hummin

30 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

My Note20pro will do until Samsung brings a S-model with pen included.

I too want an S-Pen in my next phone.  My current one is a Note 8, bought when I was still working here.  I had my work sim in one slot and my personal one in the other.  I used the S-Pen to make quick notes at client meetings using Microsoft One-Note, which were stored in the cloud so I could download them to my work computer, already neatly typed up - its ability to read my near illegible scribblings following a little training is most impressive, when I returned to my office.  Now that I'm retired I no longer need the dual sims or business notes, but I still use the S-Pen frequently as it gives far more control when copying things from websites or editing photos.  Samsung has discontinued the Note line, but will now incorporate it into the S-Ultra models.  The first of which, the S22 Ultra will be released later this month.  It will be a Note in all but name, with a slot for the S-Pen.  My Note 8 is still going strong at 5 years old, and I suppose I could keep it for longer, but the updated camera, display, graphics and central processing, and RAM in the leaked specs of the S22 Ultra are most impressive.  I also want to get a 5G capable model at some point, so will likely buy one when it comes out, though will probably wait till later in the year until the Z Fold 4 is released, which is also rumoured to have an S-Pen and compare the two then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Come on. Phones are good for Radio, Music, Skype, Whats App, Line, actually making PHONE CALLS, but as you say, NOT for photographing meals, and the groups partaking is said meals, 20 duplicate photos of babies, etc. They can be useful as a dash cam. Oh yes, and banking!

I'm not actually engaging in the discussion regarding choice of phone. I was just having a playful rant, but I will answer your point. We all have different wants and needs when it comes to these devices and if one has expansive needs, then by all means buy an expensive phone.

I have little need for one as I do not use any of the functions that you list and I mean that literally. I use mine for banking, (including Wise) mor prom, reading e books and as an exercise timer.

It's 'horses for courses' as they say and mine's a pony. 2,000 Bhat from True with no charges (other than the calls which I never make) because the SIM is tied to my True convergence account.

• Like 2

For anyone who saw the recent "Mercedes Benz" thread, this one is deja vu all over again.  Some people giving valid reasons for why they choose to buy an expensive car / phone, but with the majority ignoring those reasons and spouting the "wasting money / showing off" mantra.  (Though, some do have valid reasons for buying a cheaper model, and don't denigrate those who buy an expensive one, and this post is not directed at them).  I note that not one post I've seen from the pro-expensive brigade gives showing off to the poor people as the reason for purchase.  To the rest of you, don't flatter yourseves.  We're not thinking of you when we buy these items, we're thinking only of ourselves and our wants and needs.  I couldn't care less what someone thinks of me for having an expensive car / phone.  Conversely, I couldn't care less what they thought if I had a cheap car / phone.  If I see a nice car in the street I'll think "nice car", and not "look at that show off", as it would seem many people here do.  (I'm assuming the car is being driven in a suitable manner, and not racing around like an idiot, in which case I would think "look at that show off" no matter what the price of the car).  When it comes to other people's phones, I don't even look at them, and take no interest whatsoever in what someone is using, whereas it would again seem that many here take an eagle eyed interest in these things and spy out expensive phones in the hands of strangers in order to feel smug about themselves.  Good luck to you.  I really couldn't give a damn what you think.

Edited by ballpoint
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I buy Bt5,000 Samsungs but note the storage and number of apps I can install is frustratingly limited. Anybody know of a 'phone I can buy which has adequate storage but where I am not paying for high end features I don't want like high end camera?

10 minutes ago, mokwit said:

I buy Bt5,000 Samsungs but note the storage and number of apps I can install is frustratingly limited. Anybody know of a 'phone I can buy which has adequate storage but where I am not paying for high end features I don't want like high end camera?

A phone with a sd-card slot might be your choice. Samsung A51 for example.

Edited by JustAnotherHun

Smart phones have become status symbols with the iphone at the top.

I use a 5000 Bt Samsung and it has more stuff than I need.

Be sure, that there is a special place in Hell reserved for the bright spark who thought putting a camera in a phone was a good idea......

When Thaksin was in power and his company, AIS had the telecomms monopoly, I paid 35,000 Bt for a medium range phone. Cheap phones were around the 20k to 25k price. Total extortion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

A phone with a sd-card slot might be your choice. Samsung A51 for example.

Thanks. It is the limit on installing apps due to space that is the big limit for me - is this the same thing or is storage one thing and ability to install multiple apps another thing?

Note: I grew up in the age of rotary dial 'phones (but am PC literate).

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Thanks. It is the limit on installing apps due to space that is the big limit for me - is this the same thing or is storage one thing and ability to install multiple apps another thing?

Note: I grew up in the age of rotary dial 'phones (but am PC literate).

I'm not deep into mobiles and Android, so I mitgh be wrong:

On Android10 and 11 you can't install apps directly on you sd card, but that's no problem. You install them on the phone first and then shift it to the sd card. No big deal.

Edited by JustAnotherHun
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Just bought a Vivo Y76 ..it's fabulous..8500 baht

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, mokwit said:

I bought a Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro. Lots of RAM and memory and fast CPU and a big battery. The camera is good but not excellent. I watched and read some reviews and testers agreed that this is good value for people who want a fast phone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

For anyone who saw the recent "Mercedes Benz" thread, this one is deja vu all over again.  Some people giving valid reasons for why they choose to buy an expensive car / phone, but with the majority ignoring those reasons and spouting the "wasting money / showing off" mantra.  (Though, some do have valid reasons for buying a cheaper model, and don't denigrate those who buy an expensive one, and this post is not directed at them).  I note that not one post I've seen from the pro-expensive brigade gives showing off to the poor people as the reason for purchase.  To the rest of you, don't flatter yourseves.  We're not thinking of you when we buy these items, we're thinking only of ourselves and our wants and needs.  I couldn't care less what someone thinks of me for having an expensive car / phone.  Conversely, I couldn't care less what they thought if I had a cheap car / phone.  If I see a nice car in the street I'll think "nice car", and not "look at that show off", as it would seem many people here do.  (I'm assuming the car is being driven in a suitable manner, and not racing around like an idiot, in which case I would think "look at that show off" no matter what the price of the car).  When it comes to other people's phones, I don't even look at them, and take no interest whatsoever in what someone is using, whereas it would again seem that many here take an eagle eyed interest in these things and spy out expensive phones in the hands of strangers in order to feel smug about themselves.  Good luck to you.  I really couldn't give a damn what you think.

IMHO it's good that you think the way you do.

But there are many people out there who just need the newest phone to show off that they have the newest phone.

I am not sure if it is funny or sad when the iPhone fangirls wait in line to buy the newest phone, after a year or so ago they just bought the newest iPhone from that time.

When I see this I think: Is your expensive iPhone from last year really so bad that you need to buy a new better phone a year later? Because if that is the case than that phone wasn't really so good.

apple-dreaming-about-lines-at-apple-stor

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I bought a Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro. Lots of RAM and memory and fast CPU and a big battery. The camera is good but not excellent. I watched and read some reviews and testers agreed that this is good value for people who want a fast phone.

OK this breeds another question: I say camera is not important but I find the time it takes for mine to focus is frustrating and leads to blurred photos when i click too soon. Does "fast" i.e. processing power mean it will focus quicker and does "better camera" mean it will focus faster rather than just take higher pixel photos or somesuch?

1 hour ago, mokwit said:

OK this breeds another question: I say camera is not important but I find the time it takes for mine to focus is frustrating and leads to blurred photos when i click too soon. Does "fast" i.e. processing power mean it will focus quicker and does "better camera" mean it will focus faster rather than just take higher pixel photos or somesuch?

I can't answer your question but I am sure you will find a couple of YouTube videos with answers.

I can tell you the following in general about photography. Lots of light and far away is the easiest, not much can go wrong. The nearer the camera to the object and the higher the zoom the more accurate does the focus have to be.

And with more light focusing is easier. And with more light the shutter speed is shorter = no motion blur.

A fast processor (properly used) should help with most of this. But near objects in dark conditions will always be a challenge. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I can't answer your question but I am sure you will find a couple of YouTube videos with answers.

I can tell you the following in general about photography. Lots of light and far away is the easiest, not much can go wrong. The nearer the camera to the object and the higher the zoom the more accurate does the focus have to be.

And with more light focusing is easier. And with more light the shutter speed is shorter = no motion blur.

A fast processor (properly used) should help with most of this. But near objects in dark conditions will always be a challenge. 

I think that is what was the cause of my problems. Thanks.

15 hours ago, Sunnny said:

I got my iPhone 7 back in the beginning  of 2018. Still works fine. The only thing I might regret is not buying iPhone 7 plus instead. At that time I thought that those big phones are too big.  Now they are standard. Apart from that - don’t think I should buy a new version cause changes are too subtle and nothing really justifies spending another 30-40 k for a new phone.

Identical situation and thinking. 40k would buy an IpadPro or Smart TV to provide extra value functions alongside my full service Iphone7.

21 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Better camera is probably a major one, people often say faster too but i reckon most people would hardly notice, my Redme Note 9 is fast enough, I'll get an 11 next

So is my Xiaomi Note 8 Pro after more than two years. Happy user here and it cost me less than 8k baht.

My old Samsung Galaxy S4 cost 3.5 times as much and quickly turned into molasses slow. Plus its 16 GB memory seemed to fill up by itself. No Samsung for me anymore, let alone iPhone (or any other iScam).

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

IMHO it's good that you think the way you do.

But there are many people out there who just need the newest phone to show off that they have the newest phone.

I am not sure if it is funny or sad when the iPhone fangirls wait in line to buy the newest phone, after a year or so ago they just bought the newest iPhone from that time.

When I see this I think: Is your expensive iPhone from last year really so bad that you need to buy a new better phone a year later? Because if that is the case than that phone wasn't really so good.

apple-dreaming-about-lines-at-apple-stor

Firstly, I doubt that many, or even any, on this forum would be in that category, and secondly, how does these people's buying a new phone every year affect you?  No matter what I may think of them, it's their choice and I've got far better (or worse?) things to worry about than a bunch of iSheep getting their annual fleecing.

If one likes these gadgets, why should he not always buy the latest model? I don't think, they are status symbols anymore. These times are gone, except maybe for BGs. Foldables could be seen as such.

All the others look quite the same and you must watch very closely if you're really interested in your neighbor's phone.

I've often wonder this too, why someone would pay 20,000-30,000 Bt or more for a smartphone. Mine is a Redmi Note 10, cost 6000 Bt. Excellent screen quality, fast, good battery life, good ram, 3 sim slots (very handy) being Android there are tons of free apps.

The camera is excellent. I'm a serious photographer, it's my main hobby, and I currently own 2 high end cameras: a Fujifilm xf10 and a Sony rx100m2...and I hardly ever use them because there's no advantage to carrying a camera when I have my smartphone with me all the time. My smartphone images are as good - and often better - than taken with either camera.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

You do need a phone you consider good, i don't have a PC or laptop i use my phone for everything, tablet for YouTube and TV apps. I bet majority of people on this forum still sit in front of a PC or lap top to read it

I don't know about the majority. Personally I use this forum only on a big screen.

I didn't try it on a mobile since many years. But years ago the mobile experience was horrible. Some websites are optimized for mobile use, others not so much...

Out of interest: Don't you miss at least from time to time a big screen and a big keyboard?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grain said:

I currently own 2 high end cameras: a Fujifilm xf10 and a Sony rx100m2...and I hardly ever use them because there's no advantage to carrying a camera when I have my smartphone with me all the time. My smartphone images are as good - and often better - than taken with either camera.

Sorry: LoL

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't know about the majority. Personally I use this forum only on a big screen.

I didn't try it on a mobile since many years. But years ago the mobile experience was horrible. Some websites are optimized for mobile use, others not so much...

Out of interest: Don't you miss at least from time to time a big screen and a big keyboard?

I don't miss a big screen one bit. i use brave on my phone and the forum comes through very clear perfect size