What is the advantage of an expensive smart phone?

OneMoreFarang

22 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That reminds me of my friend with this new iPhone. In times of Covid and masks he would love to use fingerprints but it seems his (the newest?) iPhone only allows face recognition and no fingerprint scanning anymore... 

That is not the kind of fingerprinting I am referring to. The one I am referring to is used for tracking you

On 2/11/2022 at 4:45 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Similar with download speed, who needs high internet speed on a mobile phone? For what? I never had to wait for a long download because I can't remember I ever downloaded a huge file on my phone.

come on, he's obviously running a Plex server on his phone so he needs the 5G to stream 1:1 Blu Ray 4K HDR movies /s

I didn't read the whole thread just the last 4-5 pages but it seems people who think they NEED an expensive phone are just entrenched in their belief and nothing will change (what a surprise!?)

I used to have a friend who would boast about his new Iphone he got every 6 months for thousands of dollars but I look unimpressed when I asked him to show me what his phone could do that my 7000 baht phone couldn't then he was at a loss apart from saying "better camera"

then he went on a tirade saying that when he wanted to load an app it had to load INSTANTLY and not take 1-2 seconds so that was his reasoning why he would "need" to buy a 1000$+ phone more than once a year.

for me, just like I think I read on a previous post, I have a 3 proper Desktop PCs (one backup for work and one for gaming) and here is what I use my phone for:

95% receiving phone calls from Lazada delivery, never call out

wake up/work Alarms (sync to Xiaomi band)

Online Banking (and Cardless withdrawing)

Messenger and LINE chatting, video calls.

Google Maps when driving etc

Listening to music if in minivan/bus/motorbike (with headphone jack thank you)

Smart house controls, turning off power bars/sockets/lights remotely etc

2 factor authentication App (have on PC)

Photos (very rarely)

I looked at my apps and don't see what else I would use

and yes I can do all this very easily (and 10x more if I wanted/needed) from my 6000 baht Redmi Note 8 (i think it is)

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

That is not the kind of fingerprinting I am referring to. The one I am referring to is used for tracking you

Practically everything you do on or with your "Smartphone" is fingerprinting and monitoring you and in every imaginable way possible!

Edited by DezLez

7 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

In the early 90"s I had one of those, battery pack required a large bag.

Good for keeping fit and weight training. I can remember our doctor had one. The case was the same size as his medical bag.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

We all get tracked. I think we can only avoid that if we leave all electronic devices at home.

Avoid street cameras. Don't use credit/debit cards. At least with a phone you can switch the thing off.

• 2 months later...
On 2/20/2022 at 4:37 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

That reminds me of my friend with this new iPhone. In times of Covid and masks he would love to use fingerprints but it seems his (the newest?) iPhone only allows face recognition and no fingerprint scanning anymore... 

that is correct for every iPhone except the SE and has been true for about 3 years, I’ll give you one guess which phone I have.

• Haha 1

On 2/20/2022 at 3:13 AM, Muhendis said:

Good for keeping fit and weight training. I can remember our doctor had one. The case was the same size as his medical bag.

Yes, exactly. And, very expensive for the time and unreliable because of limited towers.