Thai pass insurance companies

Does anyone have any idea which is the preferred thai insurance company to use for Covid related issues so that it pays direct rather than having to pay out of pocket then get reimbursed.   Also is it permitted to obtain a policy coverage that is longer than your indicated stay in Thailand.   Am planning to enter visa exempt then convert to a O retirement and wouldn’t mind getting a 90 day policy rather than 30 if the cost is reasonable.   Thank you. 

All thai should pay upfront. 
All thai covid policies are an accident one. For not much more you can get proper full health policy, protecting from any illness, accident and cover you also abroad, outside thailand. 
the longer policy is the cheaper per day/month. You can do one year. 
To lower premium you can chose high deductible. 
you can also upgrade by adding accident up to 1mln. 

during your cover you can change your plans, if needed by immigration

• Like 2

I got the TUNE PROTECT policy for 30 days when I came in. I asked about this, and they pay the hospital directly if you are admitted with Covid, but for anything else you have to pay up-front and claim back.

Edited by Tuvoc

Thank you for the information.  I already have global insurance done in the UK with AXA which covers any claims but I have a GBP10k excess to keep the premium lower.  Hence am only concerned about something that covers me for Covid.   I assume from the comments that if I enter visa exempt for 30 days I can still apply for a policy that covers me for longer at outset?   I figure this also saves me re applying etc if the first thai pass application doesn’t work for any reason and I have to change flights etc.   Thank you.

23 minutes ago, HKexpat said:

I assume from the comments that if I enter visa exempt for 30 days I can still apply for a policy that covers me for longer at outset?  

TGIA is covid 19 only.

Last year my friend got 3 months covid cover (expires in march) online with TGIA.

contact them re longer period of cover.

he arrived visa exempt in dec and now has non o retirement visa (insurance not required).

he is self insured as is 80+ 

at that time reasonable airfare from perth, thailand pass, T&G 1 night, PCR negative all good

hope i can do the same in june. 

11 minutes ago, HKexpat said:

That’s good to know, thank you.  Will check out their website.

also they simply adjusted his period of cover when his arrival dates changed from early to late 2021.

he did give them due notice in compliance with their terms and conditions.  

2 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

I got the TUNE PROTECT policy for 30 days when I came in. I asked about this, and they pay the hospital directly if you are admitted with Covid, but for anything else you have to pay up-front and claim back.

And did you try them out?

4 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

TGIF for one month is 3700 baht. I believe that is reasonable. Will they cover for no symptom Covid-19 hospitalization? I did not see an option for two months? A friend is planning for an entry with a tourist visa. 

The whole requirement is not reasonable though, almost no risk of being hospitalized if vaccinated and as far as I see no policy covers for hotel quarantine. Money for old rope.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really dont understand people who goes to thailand now without an incurance from their homecountry.My incurance cower everything about covid.I will never ever change.My travel incurance cover me 60 days,but can extend to a higher price.I only pay about 5000 bath a year.Covered from the time i leave my outdoor in my home.

11 hours ago, stigar said:

I really dont understand people who goes to thailand now without an incurance from their homecountry.My incurance cower everything about covid.I will never ever change.My travel incurance cover me 60 days,but can extend to a higher price.I only pay about 5000 bath a year.Covered from the time i leave my outdoor in my home.

With which company is this please?

18 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

The whole requirement is not reasonable though, almost no risk of being hospitalized if vaccinated and as far as I see no policy covers for hotel quarantine. Money for old rope.

Early january statistics for phuket arrivals were 10% from 2 tests. All of them had minimum 2 vax. 
i had 3 mrna vax and now symptomatic at thai hospital. 

yes, they are policies which cover asymptomatic. For the sake of being sure of the cover do exaggerate symptoms, have better medical care. Otherwise its a hospitel with not much equipment and personnel to take care of sudden worsening. 

Hence still very much need for a good and long insurance policy, beyond the government minimum requirements 

Edited by internationalism

12 hours ago, internationalism said:

yes, they are policies which cover asymptomatic. For the sake of being sure of the cover do exaggerate symptoms, have better medical care. Otherwise its a hospitel with not much equipment and personnel to take care of sudden worsening. 

If you are tested "positive" in Thailand it seems to make sense to "exaggerate symptoms" to try and force the insurance to pay for the otherwise pointless incarceration.  What a great system.......

By my nature, and in face of a potentially serious condition, i would rather exaggerate symptoms to have better attention, more check ups and faster treatment. 
so if they ask me over the phone to evaluate my condition, what temperature I had in the morning, i would say very high fever, rather then i dont know my temperature because there is no thermometer in the hotel room. 
i rarely see doctors, but when i see them, i tell them to do check ups beyond what they think is needed. Saves me time going multiple times, possibly lowers my overall bill and i have better quality diagnosis. 

i do it no matter if i have to pay or insurance covers it. 
but i would refuse unnecessary treatment or overpriced medicines. I always ask about pricing. 

I am covid positive and i have symptoms. I dont have an issue being hospitalised and under constant medical care, rather than in hospitel with poor care. Hospital has already insurance money and is not letting me go anywhere. 

i know i have symptoms before travel and i have expected to be positive. So i was prepared in all ways. 
with recovery certificate i can travel with some very few airlines even if i am positive asymptomatic. So staying now in hospital protects me from future travel problems. 

• 2 months later...
On 2/5/2022 at 11:20 AM, Bvor said:

FYI see attached from ThaiEmbassy.com website - note it is an agency & not gov't............up to you. 

AXA insurance.png

Really don't quite understand all this: AXA has a normal travel insurance (Bt. 3,138 for one year) that covers medical expenses like Covid up to Bt. 2,000,000 (US$59,000). Now that the requirement has been dropped to US$10,000, why is that insurance not acceptable. But one is required to buy the far far far more expensive AXA Sawasdee insurance?