Need a notary public for papers to be filed in USA - Any reccomendation

Longwood50

Notary Public here in Pattaya for USA papers - Any suggestions.
I have 4 papers that are for filing in the USA with one of the states governmental units. They require notarization. Has anyone had any 'EXPERIENCE' with using a Thai notary for papers filed in the USA.
And does anyone have a recommendation for where it is economical to do. I went to one source outside of Jomtien Immigration a few years back for a different matter and they wanted 1,000 per page.
Please post if you have actual experience only, no guesses.

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Have you confirmed with the office in the US that a Thai notary will be accepted?

I did this once for a document where only a US notary would work which in Thailand is only at the US embassy or consulate.

Alternatively an online US notary via zoom might work but laws vary state by state.

In any case I wouldn't pay money for a Thai notary unless you're certain that will be accepted.

Very good advice IMO. If you pay a Thai notary and it is not accepted, you have wasted your money.  I have used one once, but it was for a Thai document.  For papers that needed to be notarized for use in USA, I have always used the US Embassy Consular staff in the American Citizens Service (ACS) unit - it used to be US$50 for first page and US$20 for additional pages, BUT that changed. It is now, I believe, US$50 for each page.

• Like 1

I took a French friend to a Thai Notary/lawyer for his 'pension still alive' document to be signed my friend could barely speak English, the Notary could but not read it, I explained what it was, he signed and stamped it, gave us copies of all his 'Qualifications' and off we went. 1k but many years ago now.

The Embassy is a rip off! Thai Legal have a notary we used to certify docs for Bank of America and Campbell's foods pensions fund in the US. All legal all accepted and much less cost and hassle (OMG the ridiculous Embassy security theatrics and other appointment nonsense!) Our friend was unable to easily go the Siam Legal Office in nearby Sukhumvit due to declining health and the notary came to the apartment at no extra cost! Try that wit Uncle Sam, ain't gonna happen. 

Edited by chalawaan

There are now more than 30 states in the USA that allow legally valid Remote Online Notarization (RON).  I live here in Thailand and had my Trust documents notarized that way for Oregon. 

It cost $25 for the first signature and $10 for each additional signature.  I had five signatures for $55.  Would have cost $250 at the US Embassy! 

You have to go through a pretty exacting personal Q&A with the notary to be able to do that.  They dig up all kinds of publically available facts on you for the questions.  You can only get one answer wrong to use the notary.

Edited by mojaco
clarity
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

The Embassy is a rip off! Thai Legal have a notary we used to certify docs for Bank of America and Campbell's foods pensions fund in the US. All legal all accepted and much less cost and hassle (OMG the ridiculous Embassy security theatrics and other appointment nonsense!) Our friend was unable to easily go the Siam Legal Office in nearby Sukhumvit due to declining health and the notary came to the apartment at no extra cost! Try that wit Uncle Sam, ain't gonna happen. 

Again it all depends on the office you're sending the document to. My issue was a real estate title. Thai notary definitely not ok!

Edited by Jingthing

9 minutes ago, mojaco said:

There are now more than 30 states in the USA that allow legally valid Remote Online Notarization (RON).  I live here in Thailand and had my Trust documents notarized that way for Oregon. 

It cost $25 for the first signature and $10 for each additional signature.  I had five signatures for $55.  Would have cost $250 at the US Embassy! 

You have to go through a pretty exacting personal Q&A with the notary to be able to do that.  They dig up all kinds of publically available facts on you for the questions.  You can only get one answer wrong to use the notary.

In some cases you need to prove that you're physically in the relevant state during the zoom call or if not they can't legally do it  Different states different laws.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, soisanuk said:

Very good advice IMO. If you pay a Thai notary and it is not accepted, you have wasted your money.  I have used one once, but it was for a Thai document.  For papers that needed to be notarized for use in USA, I have always used the US Embassy Consular staff in the American Citizens Service (ACS) unit - it used to be US$50 for first page and US$20 for additional pages, BUT that changed. It is now, I believe, US$50 for each page.

Same experience in China.  I needed several documents notarized for the U.S. and the only notary recognized was the U.S. Consulate (Citizen Services).

Caution.

If the document to be notarized is a US will, rules depend on the county where it would be probated. A Thai notary will not be acceptable. 

My experience is that if done by Zoom (not acceptable in all counties as well as e-file), witnesses and testor must be in the same video frame and witnesses must provide proof of US identity with a US Government ID card (ie., driver's license, passport, green card, etc.). 

That said, if notarized through a US embassy with required witnesses present, check with the relevant US county that a US embassy notarization is acceptable. As typically the notary must be registered in the applicable US county, I doubt an embassy notarization will be acceptable.

28 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

My experience is that if done by Zoom (not acceptable in all counties as well as e-file), witnesses and testor must be in the same video frame and witnesses must provide proof of US identity with a US Government ID card (ie., driver's license, passport, green card, etc.). 

I believe you are correct.  Though it appears that Covid has caused a number of states to permit online notarization.  Doing some additional checking I found that the State of Michigan where these are to be filed, did authorize online notary services with specific services.  

That will unquestionably be the way for me to go.  They arrange a video conference, verify identity, I email them the PDF files with my signature, they notarize, and then forward to the state email site. 

Less work, and much cheaper. $25 first signature, $10 each additional. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

I believe you are correct.  Though it appears that Covid has caused a number of states to permit online notarization.  Doing some additional checking I found that the State of Michigan where these are to be filed, did authorize online notary services with specific services.  

That will unquestionably be the way for me to go.  They arrange a video conference, verify identity, I email them the PDF files with my signature, they notarize, and then forward to the state email site. 

Less work, and much cheaper. $25 first signature, $10 each additional. 

Yes, Oregon started allowing online notarization because of Covid.  I actually "signed" the documents during the video by choosing a font I liked from their choices and then typing my name.  If you have ability with a computer pen you could do a real signature with that instead.  But definitely easier to just type your name.

I prepared an answer list of everything I could find about me and also think of.  They still managed a question or two I hadn't thought about.  For sure every address and county I have ever lived in during my life is needed.

Edited by mojaco
Added info
  • Thanks 1