Work Permit with Retirement Extension

Does the local company already have a WP for you for these short contracts?? If not,then your leaving yourself wide open to being nicked,as they would be breaking the Labour and Immigration law's,as you are not allowed to work on a Tourist Visa.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Jimbo53 said:

If you are working offshore in Thailand's waters whilst living here you cannot get a retirement extension,if you are working outside of Thailand,then you can get the extension.

18 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You certainly will not be able to get a work permit with a extension based upon retirement.

Ok, so if I was on a retirement extension and a company wanted to hire me, they or I would have to get me a B visa for example? And afterwards I would have to apply for a new retirement extension?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jimbo53 said:

Does the local company already have a WP for you for these short contracts?? If not,then your leaving yourself wide open to being nicked,as they would be breaking the Labour and Immigration law's,as you are not allowed to work on a Tourist Visa.

Yes they do

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, justsignedin said:

Ok, so if I was on a retirement extension and a company wanted to hire me, they or I would have to get me a B visa for example? And afterwards I would have to apply for a new retirement extension?

8 minutes ago, justsignedin said:

Yes.

1 minute ago, BritTim said:

If you already have a work permit, easiest would seem to be to get an extension of stay based on working. Is there a reason you do not want to do this?

The WP automatically allows you to stay for the term of the contract,and is sorted by the Agent/Employer.

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Jimbo53 said:

The WP automatically allows you to stay for the term of the contract,and is sorted by the Agent/Employer.

Yes, I see. That is awkward. Perhaps, talk to the agent about the problem, and see if there is a way (for a fee, probably) that they can have you on a long term contract, even though you are only working for part of that time.

8 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Yes, I see. That is awkward. Perhaps, talk to the agent about the problem, and see if there is a way (for a fee, probably) that they can have you on a long term contract, even though you are only working for part of that time.

Not really an option. Might do short contracts for several different companies, both local and foreign

30 minutes ago, justsignedin said:

Not really an option. Might do short contracts for several different companies, both local and foreign

If the agent is a Thai company, talk to them anyway. They could employ you directly, acting as a subcontractor for the companies you actually do work for. Indeed, it might simplify the paperwork for those companies. True, you most likely will not be able to negotiate a solution, but it is worth trying.

You can NOT do any work in Thailand, including Thailand territory waters on a Retirement Extension. 

( If married, that might be the way to go with visa )

Read the regulations.

You would have to get the proper visa AND work permit to be employed in any form. ( Will company pay the expenses ? )

Then after completion of employment, reapply for NEW Retirement .

Edited by edwardflory
spelling

@justsignedinjust out of interest how does the tax situation pan out when you are working offshore Thailand? I'm starting to get emails for offshore positions as the oil price increases activity but haven't bothered to pursue anything yet.

is it deducted from your day rate or do you have to take care of that yourself on an annual basis? I would assume its deducted at source?

I am in the same situation as you. No, you cannot get a WP on a retirement extension. The only two ways are 1. If you're also married, then change the extension back to 1yr permit to stay with spouse (marriage extension), or 2. Get a Non-B. Since you mention it would be for different companies, then this option isn't the best as a specific company has to sponsor the visa.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2022 at 2:39 AM, Yewbzee said:

@justsignedinjust out of interest how does the tax situation pan out when you are working offshore Thailand? I'm starting to get emails for offshore positions as the oil price increases activity but haven't bothered to pursue anything yet.

is it deducted from your day rate or do you have to take care of that yourself on an annual basis? I would assume its deducted at source?

It all depends on your country of residence,and what your status is for taxation.

I am sure there are ways of minimising your tax through offshore bank accounts.