Return flight or one way is ok?

6 minutes ago, HKexpat said:

Dr Jack, if I have an onward flight technically 31 days after my arrival can the airline refuse this as it’s not within 30 days.   Just checked and it’s cheaper to book a new flight than change the date.    My other option I guess it the throwaway ticket as a backup for $12.  Thanks. 

I know you’ve asked Dr.Jack...  I’ll offer what I would do in your situation. 

Have your existing ‘onward’ ticket ready...  you may or may not get asked for proof of an onward ticket at check-in.

If you are, show the existing ‘onward’ ticket - I very much doubt the staff will count the days.

IF they do, you can tell them you can extend a Exemption on arrival entry by 7 days and you plan to do that. 

IF that fails, you can then turn to the internet and book your $12 onward ‘throwaway’ ticket within 30 days. 

The same thing at Immigration upon arrival - ensure you have roaming on your phone so you could book another onward ticket if you needed to 

Thanks for your comments and will bear that in mind.   If I book via rent a ticket at the airport (if required) then I presume I can just show there confirmed booking on my phone?  There won’t be any where to print it out at that point but I note there policy is to issue a ticket valid for 48 hours so I guess that’s the way to do it. 

13 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Call the airline and they will tell you what their rules are.

As an alternative go to https://www.iatatravelcentre.com and you will be looking at exactly the same information that airlines use to decide if you require an onward ticket.

I can guarantee that the overwhelming percentage of visa exempt travellers (if not 100%) MUST have an onward ticket for the airline to allow boarding.

immigration officers in the past virtually never asked to see the onward ticket. However if a passenger is refused entry and doesn’t have an onward flight the airline is not only responsible but has to pay a significant fine. That is why the airline is going to make sure you have an onward ticket.

22 minutes ago, neytil said:

What is the cheapest real onward ticket option?

A throw away ticket currently is approx 1600 baht.

Did one last week for someone.

Bkk-KL. 

Rent a ticket is an option however it's not a "confirmed" flight meaning payment in full not received.