Dr. Yong: mRNA Vaccine Gives Higher Immunity As Booster

snoop1130

f33b5dab9f7d8633807643fd2e1df490_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Thailand’s leading virologist has indicated that injecting the 3rd shot of AstraZeneca vaccine, following two initial jabs of the same vaccine, does not provide a substantial boost to COVID immunity.

Dr. Yong Poovorawan, head of the Center of Excellence in Clinical Virology at the Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, explained that the practice, dubbed “Triple A”, yield less potent result due to the fact that the immunity provided by two AstraZeneca doses would decrease over time. And after receiving an AstraZeneca booster dose, immunity increases by “one log scale or a little higher” than after receiving two doses of the vaccine.

According to Dr. Yong, a study by his office produced an identical result as the one from Oxford University on the matter.

He recommended people to get an mRNA booster dose, which will increase their immunity by two “log scales”, while indicating that the Triple A regiment will increase an immunity boost by one “log scale.”

However, the virologist added that there are individuals who do not want an mRNA booster. Nonetheless, he pointed out that getting a third dose of AstraZeneca is still better than not receiving a booster shot at all.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-02-11

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

20 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand’s leading virologist has indicated that injecting the 3rd shot of AstraZeneca vaccine, following two initial jabs of the same vaccine, does not provide a substantial boost to COVID immunity.

So glad I had an az, followed by Pfizer and then a Moderna booster. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

So glad I had an az, followed by Pfizer and then a Moderna booster. 

So did I. Following on from the research I have seen about mixing vaccines I might choose Novavax for my next booster unless an omicron specific vaccine becomes available.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, charmonman said:

I am no mathematician but isn’t “log scale” a bit vague? Is it log scale 2 or log scale 10 or something else?Big difference. Is it 2 times vs 4 times or 10 times vs 100 times? Or is it “a little bit more”?

" ...a bit vague".   Very vague would be more appropriate.  But you are correct about the different log scales.  Maybe the good Dr has published the appropriate graph somewhere.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

BANGKOK (NNT) - Thailand’s leading virologist has indicated that injecting the 3rd shot of AstraZeneca vaccine, following two initial jabs of the same vaccine, does not provide a substantial boost to COVID immunity.

He's been surfing again... 

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Chulalongkorn University, explained that the practice, dubbed “Triple A”

I'd like to see the results on the Chinese "Triple S"

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

According to Dr. Yong, a study by his office produced an identical result as the one from Oxford University on the matter.

Not seen either study anywhere on the web............

5 hours ago, charmonman said:

I am no mathematician but isn’t “log scale” a bit vague? Is it log scale 2 or log scale 10 or something else?Big difference. Is it 2 times vs 4 times or 10 times vs 100 times? Or is it “a little bit more”?

I don't think it's vague, it's normal parlance. When the base is not specified, it's understood to be 10. At least among scientists.

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Peer reviewed and published in a global medical journal?
Link?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, placeholder said:

False, Pfizer vaccine does have emergency approval for ages 5-11. It was granted in October of 2021

The prior poster was probably mistakenly referring to this...

It's not any vaccine safety issue that's under consideration, but rather, the effectiveness of the current vaccine regimen that's being trialed on children younger than age 5. They had been looking at a two mini-dose regimen, now they'll be looking at a three-mini dose regimen:

"The Food and Drug Administration announced Friday it will not make a decision on whether to authorize a coronavirus vaccine for children younger than 5 until data on a third dose becomes available, a delay that means it could be mid-April at the earliest before shots are available for that age group.

The FDA and the vaccine makers decided late Thursday night that the companies would not seek emergency authorization for now. A raft of two-shot data had just become available, reinforcing the shots’ safety but showing disappointing effectiveness, according to a person familiar with the situation who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe discussions among the parties.

"Pfizer said data on the three-dose regimen could be available in early April, clearing the way for an FDA authorization within days or weeks."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2022/02/11/covid-vaccine-young-children-delayed/

• Like 1