M Banking Bangkok Bank

As of late January 2022, downloading this app requires android 7.0 and up.

I have the app on my android version 6.0.1
It still works fine, only difference is when I open the app it says an update is available, yet the link to Google play says the app is no longer compatible with your device.

My question is, do I keep using the old but recently updated app and ignore the prompt to update? Not so keen on buying a new phone just for one app.

Krungsri for example still only require android 5.0 for their updated app, haven't checked out other banks.

Thanks.

If you did try to update I doubt it would update...you would probably just get another not-compatible with your device type message.   Even without updating to the latest Bangkok Bank app version available at this time at some point in future (maybe months...maybe 6 months....maybe a year or two...will depend on Bangkok Bank) you will not even be able to logon using the app.  The Bangkok Bank servers will simply not allow it...you'll get some Bangkok Bank app notice saying it's too old and will no longer work...need to update the app.

I hear your dislike of not being able to update app once your Android operating system reaches a certain age.  I've currently have 3 Android devices in the family which have experienced that...2 tablets and 1 phone (heck they are running Android 4.X...released in mid 2012).  But these devices are devices I just kept once updating to newer hardware....I don't sell my old devices....I just keep most of them.  Rarely do I give one to in-laws or try to sell them...usually because the in-laws consider them too old or they are worth little due to age. 

Call these old devices I keep as my secondary/retired devices that I still use sometimes for those apps which can still be updated.  "Most" apps still update from Google Play, but it seems like every few months there is another app that will not longer update because my Android OS has gotten too old.   

I typically replace/buy new my "primary" Android devices about every 4 or so years....this seems to be a sweet spot in having "current-enough" hardware and operating system to be able to install and keep updated any app I want to use.   I'm definitely not one of those folks who replace/buy new phones every year or two.

All of my current "primary" family tablets/phones are running at least Android 9, 10 or 11...and all apps I want to run do run and update.

While your device is still working "hardware-wise" unless the operating system can be updated to meet current day requirements and security threats the app writers can't make their apps/systems as safe as possible. Android 6 was released in mid 2015....going on 7 years old....in today's OS/software/app world that is "old!"   And old operating systems/banking apps is a category of software that is always be targeted by hackers because it can be quick and easy money at your expense. 

When one of my device's hardware and/or operating system reaches the point of not being able to update my important apps like banking apps then it's time to retire that device.  As mentioned earlier, although I retire it from primary device status the retired device still has to work some for a living....I do continue to use it for certain things/apps.  I don't like retiring it, but I understand that's the way it is in today's technology world especially when it seems manufacturers/software writers usually use a 3-5 year life cycle for their products....after that 3-5 years all support usually goes bye-bye.

Edited by Pib
  • Thanks 1

What version of the Bualuang mBanking app are you running? Long press on the icon, press the "i", scroll down.

Current version is 3.14.1, January 23, 2022 after a malware false positive kerfuffle.

Many people running Android 6 reported success using the current version, so I assumed the Android 7 requirement was a typo, but who knows. 

Contact: [email protected] or call Bualuang Phone 1333 press 2-0-4. 

They introduced NDID service - still beta testing I think, under Other Services - last year. This is for thais only. It uses Facial Scanning.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Digital-Banking/NDID

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

What version of the Bualuang mBanking app are you running? Long press on the icon, press the "i", scroll down.

Current version is 3.14.1, January 23, 2022 after a malware false positive kerfuffle.

Many people running Android 6 reported success using the current version, so I assumed the Android 7 requirement was a typo, but who knows. 

Contact: [email protected] or call Bualuang Phone 1333 press 2-0-4. 

They introduced NDID service - still beta testing I think, under Other Services - last year. This is for thais only. It uses Facial Scanning.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Digital-Banking/NDID

Don't think its a typo, as there is now a paragraph below, at the top of the M banking page.
Think like me, others using Android 6, may have the latest update confused with a recent one....

For security, Bangkok Bank Mobile Banking can be used with a mobile phone or tablet with supported operating system only iOS version 11.0 and above or Android version 7.0 and above. Also, the device must have never been jail-broken (iOS) or rooted (Android).

13 minutes ago, JWNZ said:

Don't think its a typo, as there is now a paragraph below, at the top of the M banking page.
Think like me, others using Android 6, may have the latest update confused with a recent one....

Yeah, I wouldn't know, I am running Android 12.

What version of the mBanking app are you currently running? And it works OK for you?

Like I said some reported using the latest/current rev. 3.14.1 with Android 6. Might they be confused? Sure.

I can understand why BBL wants to move people to a more recent, and more secure version of Android. But their terms and conditions probably protect them re: any security exploits anyway.

The frequent Android version updates and incompatibilities are a nice money machine.

If your stubborn hardware won't give up, we'll teach you a lesson and void your old software :biggrin:

BTW waiting for my new smartphone to be delivered today :smile:

And then after less than a week I hope to have all messengers, four banks access SW, transferwise, mails, payment apps (PEA, 3BB), morphrom, Thaichana, paid dictionary etc. etc. back to work :whistling:

Edited by KhunBENQ