Immigration - online bank account

EricTh

You need not only a passbook which has been updated within last 24 hours showing a balance in excess of the amount they require but also a letter from the bank (you have to go to a branch and request it but they are used to doing it and will charge about 100THB) to pass to immigration and of course signed photocopies x 2 of everything.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, trevoromgh said:

You need not only a passbook which has been updated within last 24 hours showing a balance in excess of the amount they require but also a letter from the bank (you have to go to a branch and request it but they are used to doing it and will charge about 100THB) to pass to immigration and of course signed photocopies x 2 of everything.

Also in Jomtien IO you need a 12 months Bank statement, plus the updated Bankbook and Bank letter verifying the bankbook balance (some Banks can print the statement locally, but BKKbank require at least a week advance notice as it is generated from head Office).

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, thainet said:

Also in Jomtien IO you need a 12 months Bank statement, plus the updated Bankbook and Bank letter verifying the bankbook balance (some Banks can print the statement locally, but BKKbank require at least a week advance notice as it is generated from head Office).

If you have a regulary updated bank book and the letter from the bank you do not need a 12 months statement.

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, thainet said:

Did Ext last week...12 mths statement required even with my regularly updated bank book.

Why risk it.

It must be very new then. I did my extension in december and it was like always.

The only time I needed a 12-months-statement was when I was abroad at the time I had to show the 800k three months after the application and the bank book was not updated for a period of time.

7 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

The only way to get a definitive answer to your question O/P, is to go and ask your local office, the one you'll be using of course.

Exactly !!

It’s common knowledge that the rules vary from IO to IO , a visit beforehand is the only way you will get the correct list of requirements and what is acceptable to meet those requirements.

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

The only way to get a definitive answer to your question O/P, is to go and ask your local office, the one you'll be using of course.

I do not think that will get a definitive answer because it is known that different officers within the same local office apply different rule

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Exactly !!

It’s common knowledge that the rules vary from IO to IO , a visit beforehand is the only way you will get the correct list of requirements and what is acceptable to meet those requirements.

Different people (volunteers and officers) at immigration might give different answers , that has been my past experience. Yes, it's quite chaotic, I know.

That's why it's best to get personal experience from foreigners who actually did it before in the past 1 or 2 years.

Edited by EricTh

The bank letter is an absolute requirement.

Passbook: even if you don't have it, it should be possible to print out statements from your online account or even better the bank can do it with official stamp.

In my experience, the bank staff that prepares the letter for immigration has extensive and up to date knowledge of what is needed. You could ask them about your situation.

6 hours ago, arithai12 said:

The bank letter is an absolute requirement.

Passbook: even if you don't have it, it should be possible to print out statements from your online account or even better the bank can do it with official stamp.

In my experience, the bank staff that prepares the letter for immigration has extensive and up to date knowledge of what is needed. You could ask them about your situation.

Would that it were always the case.   I found this topic as was about to ask for personal recommendations of good bank(s) that can generate the required paperwork correctly, because.....

My Annual Extension is due but on checking through my passbook, I see I failed on one occasion to update it often enough and had one (just one) CRF entry (an amalgamation of several entries, so not acceptable to Jomtien).  My fault entirely.

So off to BKK Branch to obtain 12 months of statements.  Paid THB200 and told 3 to 5 days.  So far so good.  They will phone me when it arrives.  They failed.

Go to Branch yesterday and am handed big sheaf of printouts.  Not just my own account, but several others as well.  Good job I checked.

Cashier looks again and tears off some pages and hands back to me.  Still has one page of another account.  Good job I checked. 

But wait....my statement pages are from last Feb to November, not the full 12 months.  Good job I checked.

Cashier now goes off to printer and prints out missing statement pages.  Why can they not do this for the full year in the first place???????

Now I need to do a withdrawal, update passbook and get letter... all good except....printer updates passbook but fails to print withdrawal.  A completely missing entry, though balance updated correctly.  Nothing they can do (manager now involved).  They still want to charge me for the letter, of course.  What a shambles!

Anyhow, am resolved to relieve BKK (Beach Road) of the burden of maintaining my account and would welcome personal recommendations of alternatives.

(As an aside, had no problems at Jomtien; a shame my bank not as useful, friendly or efficient.  Pick up passport with new extension on Thursday)

PH

Edited by Phulublub

On 2/14/2022 at 1:20 PM, JustAnotherHun said:

If you have a regulary updated bank book and the letter from the bank you do not need a 12 months statement.

Not in Chiang Mai.  You need them all each time--I just did mine again  a few weeks back!

9 minutes ago, Ginkas said:

I am also in Chiang Mai and have needed bank statements for the last two years, despite the fact I update the bank book every time I make a withdrawal.

Who knows why some people need them and others don't?

To me, it is silly to need bank statement when there is already a bank book with updated details.

As long as we show that there is a latest entry on the bank book which has the same date as the bank letter, there shouldn't be any problem.

I guess it depends on the officer who is working at that time. Sometimes, we cannot argue logically with them.

Edited by EricTh

On 2/14/2022 at 1:20 PM, JustAnotherHun said:

Granted, you SHOULD NOT need the bank statement if you have your updated book, and copies of all relevant pages, or 12 monthly statements from you online banking. BUT, TIT so you do.

Edited by KannikaP

On 2/20/2022 at 9:06 AM, Ginkas said:

I am also in Chiang Mai and have needed bank statements for the last two years, despite the fact I update the bank book every time I make a withdrawal.

Who knows why some people need them and others don't?

Exactly correct--whether i have done the extension by myself or via an agent--12 months of bank statements always required--for years now, not just recently.  Ask anyone who really goes and they will tell you same.

10 minutes ago, SammyJ said:

Exactly correct--whether i have done the extension by myself or via an agent--12 months of bank statements always required--for years now, not just recently.  Ask anyone who really goes and they will tell you same.

Then what's the point of photocopying the bank book when the 12 months of bank statement show the same thing as the bank book?

3 hours ago, EricTh said:

Then what's the point of photocopying the bank book when the 12 months of bank statement show the same thing as the bank book?

It is called “double checking” which is a very common practice.

18 minutes ago, NotEinstein said:

I have been providing just a 3-months bank statement ( for the last 3 years of 17) along with bank letter and copy of bank book - never have been asked for a 12 months statement.

Same for me excepting for my latest annual extension (based on retirement and funds in the bank) in December, 2021.  Either I had a particularly picky Immigration officer or the requirements have changed.  Given the rules about how much one's account needs to hold for the 5 and 7 month time periods, I was prepared to present whatever they might request in that regard.

On 2/25/2022 at 8:46 AM, EricTh said:

You must be new to Thailand--whoever said there was a "point to it." ??!!

• Haha 1