Illegal Logging Operations?

Kinnock

6 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

If it was illegal logging I am  pretty sure they would cover the loads and possibly not move them around in broad daylight.

If they can get around import restrictions, customs controls, COVID controls and traffic laws, I don't think they will care who can see their activities?

The pick up trucks in particular were spectacularly unroadworthy.  Twisted chassis, missing body panels, no glass (one even had no windscreen), no lights, no registration plates. 

It was the row of knackered pick-ups that first made me curious - Thai people tend to look after their trucks, so a fleet of bent, rusted bangers looked unusual.  

I agree that trying to take direct action myself would be unwise, especially as my suspicions may be wrong, but I'll try to get photos on my next trip, and see if an environmental group may want to investigate further.

3 hours ago, jobsworth said:

Probably from the Pursat area which is being gentrified. The Koh Kong (border) area was logged long ago. I too wonder about the Covid status of the Khmer drivers at a time when the border is closed.

Interesting .... I see there's been some news reports about the Cambodian military being involved in illegal logging in this area.

Dangerous business, family have a 'gig' in that industry, one of their competitors (now much larger) rose from nothing, to something major, all the brothers, cousins, uncles etc are in the police or government, chick that fronts is doing pretty well..., tens of thousands of rai stripped annually, whilst buying rubber etc from all the local farm holdings, mixes in the exotics like teak etc from the mountains... (wild forests).

Best to just stay clear... it's a risky business with the price fluctuations when acting legally, far riskier for a observer when its a shady business....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1