Sleep medicine

PAV123

1 minute ago, EVENKEEL said:

A bit of cannabis works well, or so I've been told by a friend.

It certainly does though it comes with its own problems (legality + munchies) Though benzos are also not legal if obtained without a prescription. 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

It certainly does though it comes with its own problems (legality + munchies) Though benzos are also not legal if obtained without a prescription. 

Nothing like cannabis dreams, or so my friend tells me. 

What's benzos?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EVENKEEL said:

Nothing like cannabis dreams, or so my friend tells me. 

What's benzos?

People were talking about xanax and others in this topic me included. Not you. 

Never had cannabis dreams, but it did knock me out completely without waking up for a full night. 

I do like the sleep i have no because of exercise more, i feel more rested but anything is better then waking up during the night and not being able to sleep. I hated that i feared going to bed hated the tired feeling in the morning.

Sure you could nap during the day but i thought that was part of the problem (disturbing sleep even more)

22 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

wish this was true but doesn't sound right... normally pharmacies (especially around the likes of foodland) won't stock benzos surely??

Maybe they won't stock them in your area but that is where I. buy Clonoril when I need it. I know of no other pharmacy which stocks it or sells it. The store I use is on Pattaya Klang. I have sleep apnea which is mostly mitigated with a CPAP machine. My doctor just laughed when I mentioned Melatonin. He said it was absolutely worthless for most people. I used it for years and never noticed any difference but people kept telling me that it needed to "build up" in my system. I always get lousy information when I listen to anyone except medical professionals.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Benzos are nothing like cannabis. Like comparing Beer Chang and orange juice. 

Supposedly, cannabis has been taken off the list of narcotics and more or less decriminalized. I would not trust any Thai policeman to have kept up with the latest rulings. I'm surprised that there is any communication between the government and the RTP. Until things are codified and announced widely, cannabis is still illegal as far as I am concerned. That said, it is very effective at inducing deep sleep.

23 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

wish this was true but doesn't sound right... normally pharmacies (especially around the likes of foodland) won't stock benzos surely??

I recently found an old credit card receipt from Foodland Pat Pong, where I bought a bottle of 500 x 10 mg Diazepam. 

This was in 1992, the law changed(became stricter) in the late 90s then again in the early noughties. 

Luckily, I gave them up in 2000. 

I've been offered this poison in Khon Kaen a few times, when asking for other things. 

Probably the best thing I've ever found is melatonin. Gabapentin also works well, but can have uncomfortable side effect if quitting after everyday use. 

16 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Benzos are nothing like cannabis. Like comparing Beer Chang and orange juice. 

For you maybe for me both don't give any trouble. I understand you want to warn people and your right, but not everyone responds the same way to those things. 

I still have some clonozapan lying around and if i need it i use it. Havent needed it anymore for a while. I still believe that these things are valid for occasional use. Long term use not so much. 

Melatonin does really not do a thing for me. 

On 2/16/2022 at 6:56 PM, Mormolin said:

I am alternating between Lorazepam, Clonazepam and Zolpidem. They are all very effective to put you to sleep and rest well.

I got no issue having them prescribed in many different hospitals over the last years. A pack of 200 Clonazepam costed me about 3000 bahts at Bangkok Hospital, but you will pay cheaper in a public hospital.

Hope you'll sleep well soon!

Zolpidem, better known as Ambien is extremely dangerous since it is a hypnotic. After taking it one night, I woke up in the kitchen floor with a half-eaten sandwich in front of me and the door standing wide open. I have heard of people getting in their cars and driving while under the influence. I took the rest of the bottle and poured them down the toilet. I don't need drugs that make me sleep-walk.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2022 at 9:42 PM, Orinoco said:

4 hours a night max, for the last 30 years.

I stopped fighting it years ago.

it is what it is.

your be fine, you just want to be the same as everyone else,

but your not the same.

Join the club,  use the free time.

and bolxtxtxtxtxtxt to the medical guys. ( medication )

Live your life.

Yes indeed, completely agree.

As one ages you tend to sleep less, for better or worse.

I also seldom sleep for more than four hours,

I've determined there can be 4 hours of sleep, or there can be 4 hours of quality sleep. 

Like a previous poster mentioned, a very dark room can help, and I would add it should be on the cool side and above all quiet.

I've found it also helps to maintain a fairly adhered to schedule of going to sleep and awakening.

At the end of the day I'm not going to radical change my life style for the hope of a few more hours of sleep.

Quitting coffee, not going to happen,

Quitting alcohol, forget about it,

Walking on a treadmill, ah, I walk plenty off a treadmill getting to where I need to go,

Taking sleep meds and the problems that may cause, hard pass.

As the adage goes, there'll be plenty of time to sleep when you're dead,

Edited by cobra
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, robblok said:

For you maybe for me both don't give any trouble. I understand you want to warn people and your right, but not everyone responds the same way to those things. 

I still have some clonozapan lying around and if i need it i use it. Havent needed it anymore for a while. I still believe that these things are valid for occasional use. Long term use not so much. 

Melatonin does really not do a thing for me. 

I believe anyone or everyone gets addicted after a couple of weeks use. But I hear you, it is OK for most once every now and again, like heroin is to some. 

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

I believe anyone or everyone gets addicted after a couple of weeks use. But I hear you, it is OK for most once every now and again, like heroin is to some. 

If you say so, i don't know people who use it for weeks on end. I only know that I can use it for 3 days and then it stops working. So I don't get to two or three weeks. 

But since doing a lot of cardio my sleep has improved a lot and i seldom need anything to put me to sleep. Im quite happy about that because most of the stuff that puts me to sleep affects sleep quality. 

1 hour ago, cobra said:

Yes indeed, completely agree.

As one ages you tend to sleep less, for better or worse.

I also seldom sleep for more than four hours,

I've determined there can be 4 hours of sleep, or there can be 4 hours of quality sleep. 

Like a previous poster mentioned, a very dark room can help, and I would add it should be on the cool side and above all quiet.

I've found it also helps to maintain a fairly adhered to schedule of going to sleep and awakening.

At the end of the day I'm not going to radical change my life style for the hope of a few more hours of sleep.

Quitting coffee, not going to happen,

Quitting alcohol, forget about it,

Walking on a treadmill, ah, I walk plenty off a treadmill getting to where I need to go,

Taking sleep meds and the problems that may cause, hard pass.

As the adage goes, there'll be plenty of time to sleep when you're dead,

Not sure just walking is enough exercise, for me it had to be a bit higher intensity then just walking. But i get it most people hate exercise. I like weight liften far more then cardio (cardio is something i just have to do and then over time i feel is ok to do). But weightlifting did not help me one bit for sleep. 

Years and years of insomnia now almost cured (got the occasional bad night). If I had known it before i would have been doing cardio long before. 

14 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Sorry to not have the medical terms,but please google the med,it can actually become addictive,but most people with problems take far higher doses  i only take 300 mm and get great sleep,and its natural,dont ask me why ,just read it on google,i feel normal in the morning unlike when i took Ativan ,gave it up after 3 times ,awful atuff.

Is it some sort off benzos?

16 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Only at start, not once your body is used to it, at least it doesn't help me. In fact, it can ruin your natural sleep more over time too (sleeping very deep and long but still not always rested).

But yeah I guess it will work if someone uses it only sometimes or to calm down in general too, if sleeping itself is not really the issue but stress is, for example.

The future will bring us more good, we just start to know more about it, our entire bodies have receptors for this magical plant that fit like a key on a lock, there is nothing else like this.

For sleeping purposes I'd suggest making a cake from it, it will hit slower but harder.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

11 hours ago, robblok said:

Years and years of insomnia now almost cured (got the occasional bad night). If I had known it before i would have been doing cardio long before. 

Do you mean doing cardio often in general or specifically before wanting to sleep? The last thing works fine for me but to start walking around at midnight every day, doesn't seem a great idea either. 

2 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Do you mean doing cardio often in general or specifically before wanting to sleep? The last thing works fine for me but to start walking around at midnight every day, doesn't seem a great idea either. 

Just regular cardio exercise sessions during the day, in my case in the morning. 

19 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Not for me, it keeps me awake, but my friends swear by it. I have kind of a weird system anyway. I used to have a cup of coffee and a couple of cookies before going to bed and I would sleep like a baby. Only in the last year or two have I been having some problems sleeping. I find it is best not to fight it, get up, find something to do (NO tv or internet) for 15 minutes and then back to bed. I also find just going out an laying on the sofa will put me out. Melatonin sometimes works for me but mostly for jet lag.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PAV123 said:

Is it some sort off benzos?

No it is not,the doctor gave it to me for pain in my feet, after heart problems,it can be used for restless leg syndrome and other things,just google it as i am not really medicaly aware,i just know 300 mg gives me great natural sleep,like last night, you can buy it in farcino about 180 baht for strip of 10,

The non generic name isneurontin it can be used for herpes zozter as well

I have had the same problem for years, sometimes much worse than others.

You cannot get sleeping pills OTC at Thai pharmacies, you have to go to a hospital.

The only medication that worked for me has been dormicum, marketed as Midazolam or Versed.

Unfortunately, when I have gone to hospitals here, most of the time the doctors have prescribed anti-depression or anti-anxiety pills, which for me do not address the problem of insomnia.

Good luck.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2022 at 6:09 PM, Neeranam said:

I suggest not to look for something that is sold illegally OTC, go to the local psychiatric hospital and get the medicine very cheap and legal. 

Change diet, exercise, but not too late and meditate twice a day worked for me(after being addicted to valium).

The best non-addictive thing is melatonin. https://www.lazada.co.th/products/melatonin-10-mg-gummies-strawberry-90-gummies-i2891348216-s10560723100.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.5.1a3332aa5gDzRB&search=1

Melatonin? 5mg or 10mg doses is best?

I tried many times go get sleeping pills in thailand.Not possible now.Im using strong medicine after an offshore accident.When i go to thailand my doctor give me any medicine i need for that time.

I get a letter from my doctor and farmacy that makes no problem when arrive thailand.

I know this sounds funny, but this works for me and I am 75 years young. I have small dinner at 6pm, then just before going to bed at about 9pm, I have 2 bananas, and a little glass of milk. Try not to think about anything from the day, or whats on the next day.

• Like 2