Office chair repair

techno

I have a 2 year old swivel office chair where the hydraulic function to raise and lower the seat appears to have broken so needs repairing. It would be appreciated if someone who knows a repair shop could let me know. I live in the Sansai/ Maejo area. Thank you

The gas cylinder is a replaceable item (easy) but you need to know the exact size and that the chair actually has one.  Bought a local fancy chain at roadside sales few years ago that was a plastic screw to rise/lower - total junk (at non junk price) that looked like 15,000 baht chairs. 

The cylinder fits into base from top and chair fits onto the top of cylinder.   As said if a brand name go to place that sells and perhaps they know someone who can fix - or if you have a hammer to separate take apart and measure and check online to order.  As said very easy to replace once old removed.

Just now, Daffy D said:

Next time I'm just going to buy a whole new chair.  :sad:

I only paid about 2,000 baht for mine, and it's been used every day for at least 5 years, and the gas strut still works. Have had the padded arms recovered twice though.

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

I only paid about 2,000 baht for mine, and it's been used every day for at least 5 years, and the gas strut still works. Have had the padded arms recovered twice though.

Yea! Mine cost about the same and have ben using it daily for almost ten years.

If I'd have known how difficult replacing the Gas strut was going to be I wouldn't even have started on it, but once started it became a matter of principle  to finish the job :wacko: 

• Like 1

I have 15 year old, high back, cloth chair that I love.  You just can't get these anymore.  Unfortunately, it wobbles and goes back way too far now.  Maintenance guy on our building tried a fix but it didn't work.  I'm in Jomtien.  Any ideas?

I had no end of difficulties like this and finally after 9 years of paying a fortune for <deleted> chairs I got the Herman Miller Aeron chair from the authorized reseller in Bangkok. It was really expensive but 9 years later the only issue is some torn fabric on one arm and the wheels are looking dodgy after cleaning them many times. I plan on calling the outlet and asking them to order a new left arm and new wheels...

This is a chair I sit in 18 hours a day, pretty much if I am not in bed I am in my office. I think the price was 44k, but I had spent that much total over the previous 9 years on <deleted> that I ended up  hating and throwing away.

3 hours ago, LALes said:

I have 15 year old, high back, cloth chair that I love.  You just can't get these anymore.  Unfortunately, it wobbles and goes back way too far now.  Maintenance guy on our building tried a fix but it didn't work.  I'm in Jomtien.  Any ideas?

You can get just about all the spares for an office chair from Lazada or Shopee.

Tilt Chair mechanism

Office Chair Spares

Office Chair Legs

Just got to check the dimensions and location of the fixing holes, they do vary slightly.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

On 2/18/2022 at 2:09 PM, Daffy D said:

Nobody told my chair when I had to replace the Gas Piston.

The piston is tapered at both ends and simply slides into the base legs and the top part of the chair. 

Simple enough to put together,  but trying to get the old piston out is not so easy.

After some hours of struggle I finally managed to remove the piston from the bottom chair legs by heating the thing up with a blow torch and beating it out with a hammer.

The top of the piston was more of a problem. Even with removing the tilt mechanism from the bottom of the chair it was not possible to get at the piston to knock it out.

In the end had to order a new tilt mechanism along with the piston because I couldn't get them apart. 

Next time I'm just going to buy a whole new chair.  :sad: 

Just like you, I bought a new piston. But instead of struggling, I removed the base from the chair and took it up to the local metal fabricator. He had the old one out in about 5 minutes.

Why struggle. ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Why struggle.

I thought it was going to be easy, and once started it was a fight to the end, me or the chair :annoyed:

The piston has a slightly tapered fit and is only held in by friction, and should just fall out.

Did you watch to see how he did it?  

4 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

I thought it was going to be easy, and once started it was a fight to the end, me or the chair :annoyed:

The piston has a slightly tapered fit and is only held in by friction, and should just fall out.

Did you watch to see how he did it?  

He locked the piston into his lathe and then twisted the base off. It took some shifting! He had to use a big crowbar to get some leverage.

The technical term for this type of joint is a 'tapered interference fit'. Very easy to assemble but the devil's own to dismantle. That's why I didn't even bother trying.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, techno said:

Thanks for all your help. Took it to a repair shop in Sarapi and fitted with new piston,cleaned and returned in perfect like new condition at a cost of 750 baht. They undertake all types of repairs on office chairs

I've been repairing my really comfortable office chair over and over for years but the result of my efforts are somewhat short lived. I'm very much interested in knowing the name and location of this shop. Can they also reupholster? I got some stretchy covers that work fairly well over the seat and back but it would be nice to get them rejuvenated.