Plan to fix ruptured oil pipeline off Rayong still awaiting approval

webfact

15608627560492.jpg

Star Petroleum Refining Company (SPRC) has presented its plan, to the Rayong office of the Marine Department, for repairs to the ruptured undersea oil pipeline connected to the company’s offshore mooring platform in the Gulf of Thailand.

So far, no permission has been granted to commence the work as the Marine Department’s local office has asked for more details and certification of the company which will undertake the repairs. The department also needs to consult 7 or 8 relevant agencies as well as the local police.

The company’s plan involves the use of scuba divers, an unmanned submersible and a drone, among other equipment.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/plan-to-fix-ruptured-oil-pipeline-off-rayong-still-awaiting-approval/

Logo-top-.png
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-02-18

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 3

16 minutes ago, webfact said:

The company’s plan involves the use of scuba divers, an unmanned submersible and a drone, among other equipment.

I do not believe a professional diving company would be using scuba, maybe a scuba replacement system at a minimum, although it does depend if they are able to position a dive vessel directly over the site then they would use surface demand from the vessel.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

I do not believe a professional diving company would be using scuba, maybe a scuba replacement system at a minimum, although it does depend if they are able to position a dive vessel directly over the site then they would use surface demand from the vessel.

Does that not depend on how deep the pipeline is ? The gulf of Thailand is not that deep and with some mixtures and professional equipment they can stay under some time. Maybe bad reporting.

13 minutes ago, robblok said:

Does that not depend on how deep the pipeline is ? The gulf of Thailand is not that deep and with some mixtures and professional equipment they can stay under some time. Maybe bad reporting.

No, for professional diving activities scuba is banned unless special dispensation has been granted, it does not matter on depth and as this is a pipeline connected to an offloading buoy the I would imagine the water depth will be 20-30m minimum, with scuba you do not have any safety backup air supply or communications with the surface.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

No, for professional diving activities scuba is banned unless special dispensation has been granted, it does not matter on depth and as this is a pipeline connected to an offloading buoy the I would imagine the water depth will be 20-30m minimum, with scuba you do not have any safety backup air supply or communications with the surface.

Maybe i have been watching different videos but currently there are quite a few scuba communication sets that allow communication with the surface. (i watch a lot of nature shows). So the communication issue sounds strange to me. 

Also the backup air supply can't you just have some tanks in the water anchored to a line ?. You probably have professional experience that I don't. But I am a divemaster and have made quite a few dives. 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Maybe i have been watching different videos but currently there are quite a few scuba communication sets that allow communication with the surface. (i watch a lot of nature shows). So the communication issue sounds strange to me. 

Also the backup air supply can't you just have some tanks in the water anchored to a line ?. You probably have professional experience that I don't. But I am a divemaster and have made quite a few dives. 

Check out IMCA rules and regulations, and yes I am an ex-commercial diver / Dive supervisor. scuba is totally banned as a form of diving in the commercial world. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

Check out IMCA rules and regulations, and yes I am an ex-commercial diver / Dive supervisor. scuba is totally banned as a form of diving in the commercial world. 

Then i just accept what you say, no need to go against an expert.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Can't they use a Chinese submarine???

???????????????????????????????? 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The department also needs to consult 7 or 8 relevant agencies as well as the local police.

Well, it's not so urgent obviously. Flora and Fauna are not so important but who will get the order and earn some Money.....as always.

Also there are No tourist at present.

So, who cares. ,????

• Like 1

On 2/18/2022 at 12:35 PM, Geoffggi said:

Correct.

Article is just the usual very poor standard of journalism. probably parroting some Thai official that doesn't know their ar*e from their elbow.

FYI I am not subsea or a diver but I have been on DSVs. 

• Thanks 1

Surprised that the emergency management procedure for a leaking pipeline was not immediately implemented on discovery of the leak but then again the standard of safety here onshore and offshore is completely woeful and major emergency management skills are lacking, if not totally non-existent. 

Probably Thais in charge all arguing amongst themselves with not a clue how to affect a proper response would be my educated guess as I have first hand experience of similar situations.