Koh Samui Airport - Whats that weird new bag check policy about?!

SamuiAddict

Koh Samui is doing this thing that when you've dropped your bag at the desk and checked in, instead of walking straight round to the gate you have to wait outside the baggage inspection office for 10 minutes.  If no one calls your name you can go.  Its not a huge thing but its a tiny bit annoying.  I've never seen something like this done anywhere else and I've flown from a lot of airports.  Any idea why they are doing that?

Since a while in CM they seem to check more extensive too, last time my bag was taken out over 2 cartridges with razor blades….

For checked luggage you used to drop it at the counter and now you need to walk to a x ray line yourself and be OKed first.

Yet one could fly with a driving license from khao san.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

23 hours ago, tonray said:

Is this for everyone ? I have seen this many times when people are singled out as suspicious and the bag is taken for further inspection. 

Yeah its everyone, once you checked in the girl at the counter tells you where to stand and for how long.  So you end up standing in a big crowd outside the excessive baggage room ????

Its nothing major, just a bit weird and annoying

• Like 1

I don't think it's exactly a new policy.  It started, I think, years ago when a "terrorist" (for want of a better word) checked in for a flight with his baggage. But he didn't board the flight, and there was an explosion on board after take off.  It was possibly a flight to Brussels ?  So, making passengers identify their baggage before actully boarding the flight was brought in so that if a piece of baggage was unidentified prior to take off, it didn't go on board. 

I thought that it was to allow for checking for phone batteries and battery packs.

They are not allowed in the hold and must be in carry on.

Quite a few times, whilst waiting to board, I have seen people called to go and remove them from their check-in bags.

This then slows down boarding.

They have always checked, maybe just bringing that check forward to save time later?

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 1