Covid Insurance for Non Imm 'O' visa

I'm just doing my online application for a Non Imm 'O' visa based on marriage and I got to this.

'Health Insurance Policy covering treatment and medical expenses related to COVID-19 with a minimum coverage of USD 100,000'

Is this still a requirement as I thought it was $50,000 now? Also does this have to cover the length of my stay? For the Thailand Pass I think it's $50,000 and 30 days is enough. I think all these changes are confusing me. Any help gratefully received.

Apart from this and some confusing parts relating to the required documents such as the fact they ask for bank statements but but you can only upload one it's a pretty good system so far. I hope I haven't spoken too soon.

You will only need $50,000 of covid19 insurance. They apparently have not updated the site yet. Thirty days should be enough but since the visa allows a 90 day entry they may want to be that long.

Just an error when it states statements.

• Thanks 1

I'm wondering also how this is going to work.  I'm in Thailand on a Non-Imm O Retirement extension.  I don't have medical insurance here.  I would like to go back to my home country for a few months and return on my Re-entry permit which means Thai Pass without needing a visa I guess. I figured I'd have to pay for medical insurance until my next Extention comes up which in my case would be about 5 months.  Is this realistic?  Is the cost of this type of medical insurance correct meaning I should figure on about 15,000 baht?

I just returned on a multiple entry visa, took UbonJoe's advice and just did 30 days insurance with True....2,500 baht I think.

No one even looked at as far as I can recall.....although I guess it was vetted for the Thai pass.

Edited by Will B Good
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Lazinonthebeach said:

I figured I'd have to pay for medical insurance until my next Extention comes up which in my case would be about 5 months.  Is this realistic?  Is the cost of this type of medical insurance correct meaning I should figure on about 15,000 baht?

In your case you will only need 30 days since you will be using a re-entry permit.

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

I just returned on a multiple entry visa, took UbonJoe's advice and just did 30 days insurance with True....2,500 baht I think.

No one even looked at as far as I can recall.....although I guess it was vetted for the Thai pass.

Hello ...

Was this a multiple entry non o based on marriage.. and if so was it from the UK...I was going to come back on a single entry non o based on marriage.. but if I can get the multiple entry based on marriage and only get 30 days insurance.. then this would be a huge result.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You will only need $50,000 of covid19 insurance. They apparently have not updated the site yet. Thirty days should be enough but since the visa allows a 90 day entry they may want to be that long.

Thanks.

So far the online application has been fairly simple but it needs to be updated. It would help if you could upload more than one document as that would give them more information They want a statement showing £10,000 so that will be another. They also want a document that will confirm their current residency so I could send another although I'd prefer to send something different. Trouble is I don't have much else to my living arrangements in the UK.

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

In your case you will only need 30 days since you will be using a re-entry permit.

This is also my case that I still have till October before my retirement extension expired.  So if I go back to US next april and come back with re-entry permit in June, I should purchase only 30 days covid insurance?  

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Although it's more expensive I think your suggestion of 90 days cover may be the best idea so as to avoid problems. That's what I attempted to do with AXA Thailand since they're a reputable company. The problem is that I have pre existing medical conditions. Hypertension and high cholesterol which I've had for years. Or rather I haven't since I take medication for it. I had prostate cancer but that's gone since I had it removed in November and so far it doesn't seem to have spread. Because of these they can't quote online which is a bit odd since the policy doesn't cover pre existing conditions. I don't know if I can contact them to avoid the online issue. I may have to try companies in the UK or a broker possibly. The advantage with AXA was that they know what's required as well as anyone.

I'm sure I'll get it sorted eventually.

18 hours ago, kimamey said:

Is this still a requirement as I thought it was $50,000 now? Also does this have to cover the length of my stay? For the Thailand Pass I think it's $50,000 and 30 days is enough. I think all these changes are confusing me. Any help gratefully received.

OP, this perhaps not directly related to your question, however may be of general interest regarding insurance.

I attached message from a USA couple (just received) I had helped with extensions from visa exempt entry.

Recently the lady was tested covid positive and has been is self isolation.

Her husband (also named Jack) is in separate room same hotel.

They are tourists.

IMO travel to Thailand at this time is risky and don't assume insurance has you covered.

The $ in message would be USD.

Screenshot_20220220-095239.jpg

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, playboy said:

What's kind of 30 day insurance?  Is covid insurance or medical insurance?  Where to buy it?

You Just need Covid insurance as far as I know and AXA Thailand can do it but there are other companies as well.

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Why even bother informing insurance company of existing conditions.

Think of the insurance as "entry tax" 

Just purchase policy. 

I would buy 30 day policy but understand your idea in buying 90 day cover.

I could have ignored the question about existing conditions and I'd be ok so long as nothing happened which it probably wouldn't but if it did I suspect they would say the policy was void. I was surprised they asked to be honest unless they are worried that I might be particularly vulnerable. It seems to be the online quote that's the problem so they, or another company may be able to help if I can talk to them to answer questions. That's my next plan.

I don't need cover for those existing conditions anyway. Firstly I'd be covered for healthcare as my wife is a government employee . Secondly I think I've had the high blood pressure and cholesterol since the early 90s and it's never been an issue and although I had prostate cancer I no longer have the prostate or the cancer it contained. There's a slight possibility that there might be a microscopic spread that can't be detected but then any man of later years might have cancer in their prostate that they aren't aware of and therefore be at greater risk than me.

This next bit is mainly to warn of the dangers of prostate cancer.

I never had the usual male problem of getting up several times in the night to pee. I did wake up and sometimes needed the toilet but more often I'd just sit on the toilet looking at my phone because I couldn't get back to sleep. The problem I had was that I would pee and then need to go again shortly afterwards. I had thought that the diuretic I was taking was the cause but it became obvious that that was unlikely. It was very slow as well but I wasn't worried as that's fairly normal due to the prostate enlarging and squeezing the urethra. It started to get worse so I mentioned it during a phone call about my medication and it was decided I should have my prostate checked. I'd had a check before but that was some years ago.

The first at the surgery showed no problems other than enlargement so then I was sent to the hospital where I had another woman's finger up my bum and an ultrasound device put up there. That wasn't fun. This gave a better idea of the enlargement which was significant. They use an app which when they input their findings gives an approximation of the risk of cancer. The results were that there was a 12% chance of detecting cancer, with a 3% chance of significance. I was then told that if I wished I could go for an MRI scan which would give a better picture as you can only feel so much with a finger. If anything was found then I would have a prostate biopsy which was described to me and sounded horrific. The female doctor was perfectly calm whilst she told me this although she was more squeamish when I told her that some years ago I had voluntarily had a biopsy on my eye. There's not much they can do to stop you seeing what they are about to do. I said I might as well have the MRI just to be sure even though there wasn't much chance they'd find anything. I'd still need to have something done about my prostate as I did a flow test as well which showed me voiding a total of 210 millilitres, with a flow of just 8 ml/sec and a post-void residual of 352 millilitres. Now without my prostate it flows like a garden hose.

The MRI showed something on the left and the right and the biopsy confirmed no problem on the left but cancer on the right. From then on there was no suggestion of monitoring it or trying hormone therapy it was just removal or radiotherapy. Even the doctor who would have done the RT thought surgery was a better bet in my circumstances. It was on the point of moving beyond the prostate so I was lucky it was caught early.

An enlarged prostate is pretty normal but there's no way of telling whether you have cancer without tests. I think myself very lucky discovered mine in time.

Sorry this post was so long but I thought this was important.

Edited by kimamey
  • Thanks 1

On 2/19/2022 at 8:12 PM, kimamey said:

Thanks.

So far the online application has been fairly simple but it needs to be updated. It would help if you could upload more than one document as that would give them more information They want a statement showing £10,000 so that will be another. They also want a document that will confirm their current residency so I could send another although I'd prefer to send something different. Trouble is I don't have much else to my living arrangements in the UK.

Thats another error. It is a bank statement showing £10,000 or an income from a pension of at least £1,000 per month. For the residency just upload yout passport page again.

• Thanks 1

On 2/20/2022 at 5:03 AM, kimamey said:

Although it's more expensive I think your suggestion of 90 days cover may be the best idea so as to avoid problems. That's what I attempted to do with AXA Thailand since they're a reputable company. The problem is that I have pre existing medical conditions. Hypertension and high cholesterol which I've had for years. Or rather I haven't since I take medication for it. I had prostate cancer but that's gone since I had it removed in November and so far it doesn't seem to have spread. Because of these they can't quote online which is a bit odd since the policy doesn't cover pre existing conditions. I don't know if I can contact them to avoid the online issue. I may have to try companies in the UK or a broker possibly. The advantage with AXA was that they know what's required as well as anyone.

I'm sure I'll get it sorted eventually.

Try Tune ( Luma. ). Accepted for Thailand Pass. No questions asked, certificate issued online which you can upload to Thailand Pass application site. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Try Tune ( Luma. ). Accepted for Thailand Pass. No questions asked, certificate issued online which you can upload to Thailand Pass application site. 

I'm just looking at that. It seems to cover for Thailand Pass which is great. I just wish I could see Covid mentioned in the policy wording as I think that's a requirement

On 2/19/2022 at 5:55 PM, ubonjoe said:

Joe, is this now across the board 30 days for re-entry permit holders? I'm concerned I'll have to buy insurance (if possible: I'm 72) for 8 or 9 months till my next extension. The only other option is not getting a re-entry permit, returning visa-exempt, applying for a fresh extension.

2 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

I've just used your suggestion and got my insurance sorted with Luma. Very easy AXA Thailand lost my custom by asking about things they weren't going to cover anyway.

Thanks 

9 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

I'm quite fine with using TUNE for my COVID/Travel Insurance as per requirement to attain an O-A Visa later this year although it covers you for $50,000 USD and I thought the requirement was for $100,000 USD cover. I'm staying 5 - 6 months.

I was directed to TUNE (Mr Prakarn Website) from a Thai Consulate link.

52 minutes ago, bangkok19 said:

I'm quite fine with using TUNE for my COVID/Travel Insurance as per requirement to attain an O-A Visa later this year although it covers you for $50,000 USD and I thought the requirement was for $100,000 USD cover. I'm staying 5 - 6 months.

I was directed to TUNE (Mr Prakarn Website) from a Thai Consulate link.

Yes it seems ok. I was a bit worried to start with as the policy document that is shown when you first go on the site didn't mention Covid specifically which I think was a requirement at one time. It is mentioned in the documents sent after paying.

I know the cover was reduced from $100,000 to $50,000 but it still says $100,000 on the online application form. Ubonjoe seems to think it just hasn't been changed. He's probably right but I'll know if I get my visa.

10 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

The only other option is not getting a re-entry permit, returning visa-exempt, applying for a fresh extension.

Make sure you buy a reentry permit. No reason to not to.

Obtain covid insurance cover for 30 days. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/19/2022 at 3:18 AM, DrJack54 said:

Buy 30 day insurance. 

If I get a tourist visa for 60 days, maybe get a 30-day extension, all I need buy is 30 days?

What is a good company.

I saw someone bought True. What is the full name?

Thanks again jack.

4 hours ago, elgenon said:

If I get a tourist visa for 60 days, maybe get a 30-day extension, all I need buy is 30 days?

What is a good company.

Thanks again jack.

I used them as well. 

It's a bit confusing as I see the name Tune, Tune Protect and Luma. Just search for tune luma thailand pass and scroll down to the link  Luma Thailand Pass - Tune Protect. That seems to work. I'd post a link but I'm not sure if that would be against the rules. 

I don't know the connection between Tune and Luma as the names seem to appear together or separately. I'm sure somebody else will know. I have seen other companies recommended on here and elsewhere and may be cheaper but Luma seems ok.

8 hours ago, elgenon said:

What is a good company.

Thanks again jack.

This is what I used

https://www.tuneprotect.co.th/en/portal/travel-insurance/ONTALN/PTAKADWFTTMRZQKR9GAWZMTR2DVEBEWWTEMXNGSZ7UURNB92Z8UEX

I went for 30 days as that's enough for the flight dates I have at the moment. They may change later but until I arrive and discuss this with my wife I can't be sure. In your case maybe 60 days would be better but I don't know your circumstances

• Thanks 1

On 2/23/2022 at 1:29 AM, kimamey said:

I used them as well. 

It's a bit confusing as I see the name Tune, Tune Protect and Luma. Just search for tune luma thailand pass and scroll down to the link  Luma Thailand Pass - Tune Protect. That seems to work. I'd post a link but I'm not sure if that would be against the rules. 

I don't know the connection between Tune and Luma as the names seem to appear together or separately. I'm sure somebody else will know. I have seen other companies recommended on here and elsewhere and may be cheaper but Luma seems ok.

Thanks Kimamey. I assume you mean to search on ASEAN NOW. True? Thanks. It's all confusing to me.

On 2/23/2022 at 5:14 AM, kimamey said:

This is what I used

https://www.tuneprotect.co.th/en/portal/travel-insurance/ONTALN/PTAKADWFTTMRZQKR9GAWZMTR2DVEBEWWTEMXNGSZ7UURNB92Z8UEX

I went for 30 days as that's enough for the flight dates I have at the moment. They may change later but until I arrive and discuss this with my wife I can't be sure. In your case maybe 60 days would be better but I don't know your circumstances

Thanks Kimamey