Inexpensive substitute for atorvastatina 40mg in Thailand?

pub2022

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Simvastain, atorvastatin and rosuvastatin are all different drugs.

Crestor is a brand of rosuvastatin.

OP is asking about atorvastatin.

@pub2022 Locally made brands of atorvastin are:

Atorsan

Atorvin

Chlovas

Lipostat

Tovastin

No need to discuss with your doctor as these are all atorvastatin. Just local brands of it.  I do not know the exact cost but I think under 1,000 baht a month.

Lipostat (atorvastatin) 20 mg 3x10’s 398.-/bx

That's what I'm paying from Medisafe, 398 baht/month.  Note I'm getting only 20mg, whereas I understand you need 40mg, but hard to believe you couldn't get the proper dosage for 800 baht or less.  For an actual quote use the Chat/Messenger function here:  

https://www.facebook.com/Medisafe.Pharmacy.Rama4

• Like 1

I would first check with your doctor back home and see if he can recommend one for you. For myself I was on a generic for about 8 years I went from 5mg to 40mg on my own trying to figure out the MG that will lower my numbers sadly it ended up at 40MG name Berlin marked on the pill.

Last July I finally stopped taking it, since moving everything is everywhere and I'm unable to find the box. For years I had no problem took blood test every six month number was at 165-170 problem runs in my family. Year before I stopped I noticed a lot of muscle soreness particular on my arms finally it got so bad I decided to stop within a month I felt it nearly all gone meantime I've done some research to some new products that doesn't causes these problems but just waiting now to return to the States and speak to my Doctor.  What I was getting was muscle failure today after 10 months everything is gone I have more energy and even get a woody in the morning ????.

Generics are pretty easy to obtain when I started it was at a local Thai pharmacy one day they were out of stock so I went to Fascino next door, same generic was to my surprise lower, they also have Liptor but the generic I got was 40MG, for a 3 months supply the cost when I started was 8 years ago was 240 Baht last year it 320 after my discount card with Fascino.

True not True, I guess if you walk in and look like a Farang they are going to push for the better stuff, but since I don't look like one when it comes to medicine for myself or family they always give me the Thai stuff I have to ask for the better stuff. So the end game ASK for what you want. I've been given some pretty good Thai stuff that works when I have a small cold. 

Check with you Doctor back home first that is my best advice.

44 minutes ago, NewGuy said:

I take Xarator 40 mg at 30 baht a pill, 30 pills to a box - 900 baht. I get them from a pharmacy near Victory Monument (and a complex of hospitals). Next time I’ll ask if they have an even cheaper brand.

Xaratior is an import so of course expensive.

Any of the locally made brands I mentioned in my post would be much cheaper.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, partington said:

Absolutely ridiculous. That is the opposite of what this report actually says! Did you even read it??

It carefully points out the different medical conditions that each variant statin is most suitable for!

This report states clearly and directly that statins are NOT all the same!

Here is a direct quote:

"There are seven statins, but they're not all the same. Some deliver a greater reduction in cholesterol than others. In addition, some statins are backed by stronger evidence that they reduce the risk of a heart attack or death from heart disease or a stroke."

Oops, gave a link to an older article than I thought. Here's the final version from CR. https://article.images.consumerreports.org/prod/content/dam/cro/news_articles/health/PDFs/StatinsUpdate-FINAL.pdf