Why do so many expats fall off their balconies in Thailand?

webfact

it's simple the railings of the balconies are too low, the Thai government is struggling to reassess the standard of certain construction which are no longer adequate.  More often the tiled floor is often inexpensive and slippery ... safety at a cost on the construction of a condominium that developers will refuse to pay if they are not forced to do so

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chris.B said:

The key word here is "fall" or "jump"?

I don't think many do fall, I think most jump. I also think most jump because they have run out of money.

PS. In the UK I believe balcony heights are 1.1 m.

Agreed,  too many expats move to Thailand with insufficient funds or they have alcohol problems, or very week and naive with Thai ladies.. 

Thailand is not a good place for these type of people. Their problems always catch up with them... 

5 hours ago, Albert Zweistein said:

Could it have something to do with alcohol ? Perhaps ?

Addiction 

Mental Health

Economical problems

Underlying problems such as 

Social and Relationship problems

Lonelyness

Low balcony

A few given a helping push

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chris.B said:

The key word here is "fall" or "jump"?

I don't think many do fall, I think most jump. I also think most jump because they have run out of money.

PS. In the UK I believe balcony heights are 1.1 m.

or "pushed"!!!????????????????

People need to remember, there is often no difference between the suicide numbers in Thailand and suicide numbers back home. The big difference is we read about it in Thailand.

To a certain extent, suicides in UK, Aust, USA etc , dont make the news. We are blissfully unaware someone jumped/fell from a building next suburb over.

My ex wife in Australia used to work in the career/counselling section of a major Sydney university. They would have 3-4 suicides a year, students who couldn't cope etc. Never published.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, daveAustin said:

People top themselves everywhere, Thailand’s not special in that regard. However, it does have an inordinate number of pi$$heads which is not a good combo on midget balconies. Thai authorities just don’t want to own up to the latter. ????

It suits midget people, so no worries. 

Barriers' height is definitely a problem in Thailand, at least for me as I'm tall. It's true for the barriers on some bridges as well, so I often walk on the street instead of the pavement along the bridge for safety...

As a side note, bathroom doors are be a problem. I've just rented a new house under the condition that the bathroom door be changed to "adult size"!

What makes me sceptic about the suicide versions (in many of the cases) is that I personally would never choose this way to end my life. It is the most terrifying and disgusting one. Shooting oneself, self poisoning or self drowning… many less painful and more esthetic options out there…

• Like 1

First, I seems again like this a concentrating on brits, and that they have the same problem in many countries. In that case, it will not have anything to do with Thailand in specific.

However, if you after that take drinking, heated arguments of the "like we have been together so many times now, so I don´t have to pay you" type, as well as low railings and poor judgements into consideration that will add to injury. Last we have all miserable people that can´t handle rejections, travel to Thailand to end it and just with the sun to shine on them when jumping. 

Yeah, I guess that kind-a sums it all up. 

3 hours ago, bbko said:

If we had decent follow up reporting news services, they would investigate and report back (drunk, money problems, mental issues, relationship troubles, etc), instead we get half a story which leads to many board member's favorite pastime; speculations, conspiracy theories, innuendos, baseless assumptions, etc.

Sorry but I have to disagree with your post. You only have to read through the reprehensible responses to this article to realize the truth of your final comments, 'speculations, conspiracy theories, innuendos, baseless assumptions, etc' abound. And this isn't even a suicide report!

IMO, suicides are best left off this forum altogether thereby depriving these degenerates of their moment of scurrilous pleasure.

• Like 1