Why do so many expats fall off their balconies in Thailand?

webfact

One of my greatest shocks living in Thailand was when a fellow American, I guy who I only knew casually from several barstool conversations, took a bus to Pattaya, entered a condominium he didn't live in and jumped from the 26th floor.

He was a very personable guy.  He was easy to notice when he walked around the lower Suk. area as he was tall and always had a huge smile.  

When we did talk, he was engaging and articulate, the conversations always pleasant. He wasn't a complainer nor did he denigrate others.  He seemed a really positive person.

When his picture appeared along with the story of his suicide hit the press, I was stunned. I couldn't understand why this seemingly happy person could have sunk to such depths that he took his own life.

Stories mentioned he maintained a blog.  I was able to find it and it was generally positive and uncomplaining.  It was only towards the final entries that he mentioned his girlfriend had left him and that his apartment felt empty without her but he didn't seem to dwell on it and appeared to be moving on.   No other clues appeared in the blog.  The press stories did say he had left a note but the details were not released.

I'll never know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Chris.B said:

The key word here is "fall" or "jump"?

I don't think many do fall, I think most jump. I also think most jump because they have run out of money.

PS. In the UK I believe balcony heights are 1.1 m.

Or LOSE BALANCE 555

I was staying in this one hotel in Bangkok before, it didn't have a balcony, but it had a full floor to ceiling length window that opened like a door, it opened right out to nothing. It was about 3 floor up, so not crazy high, but you could certainly die if you fell out. 

I like that Thailand doesn't have persnickety health and safety regulations, but that probably plays some part in these occurrences. 

Though my reflex thought has always been that most of them are suicides. 

1.  They have short railings unlike developed countries.
2.  Drinking
3.  Business disputes lead to homicides that are called suicide in Thailand 
4.  Victim mistakenly tells girlfriend she is the beneficiary of his life insurance 
5.  Run out of money (girlfriend upgrades)

11 hours ago, Chris.B said:

I don't think many do fall, I think most jump. I also think most jump because they have run out of money.

I agree. I think most of these people are jumpers. It's suicide tourism.  Come to Thailand for one last holiday, perhaps enjoy a week of female companionship, but have no intention of going home to slowly die from cancer or whatever other ailment they have.

Incidentally I've lived her over 10 years and have never seen a balcony railing that was only 700 or 800mm.  

I'm 185 cm tall and most balconies are easily high enough that I wouldn't be able to accidentally fall over one.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dddave said:

One of my greatest shocks living in Thailand was when a fellow American, I guy who I only knew casually from several barstool conversations, took a bus to Pattaya, entered a condominium he didn't live in and jumped from the 26th floor.

He was a very personable guy.  He was easy to notice when he walked around the lower Suk. area as he was tall and always had a huge smile.  

When we did talk, he was engaging and articulate, the conversations always pleasant. He wasn't a complainer nor did he denigrate others.  He seemed a really positive person.

When his picture appeared along with the story of his suicide hit the press, I was stunned. I couldn't understand why this seemingly happy person could have sunk to such depths that he took his own life.

Stories mentioned he maintained a blog.  I was able to find it and it was generally positive and uncomplaining.  It was only towards the final entries that he mentioned his girlfriend had left him and that his apartment felt empty without her but he didn't seem to dwell on it and appeared to be moving on.   No other clues appeared in the blog.  The press stories did say he had left a note but the details were not released.

I'll never know.

Easy to hide an depression for other people you do not want to bother! 

1 hour ago, dddave said:

I'll never know.

People do hide depression from people. I had a few friends over the years have severe depression but to the outside world you never knew . 

I think there needs to be more context and perspective here.

Whilst it's very easy to subscribe to conspiracy theories of crime, suicide etc., one needs to bear in mind that this is a perennial problem elsewhere. There areconsant reports of Brits falling from balconies in Spain and elsewhere in Europe and the rest of the world. 

Statistically Brits have the highest suicide rates either.

The differences may include balcony rail height and drunkenness.  It may also be a result of police and media incompetence in reporting these deaths - there is nowhere near the detail the would be carried out I Europe and this lack of detail and follow up is fertile ground for conspiracy theories.

what is needed is reasonable evidence and deduction

13 hours ago, webfact said:

It was reported that three thousand British people fall off balconies each year while abroad.

this definitely needs some kind of citation. Especially as it is in the OP.

At least they include the fact that this is not a problem peculiar to Thailand......and probably not even Brits.

I tried the UK national office of autistics and there doesn't appear to be a category that specifically includes "falling from building".

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

You have to be a very special kind of idiot to fall off a balcony.  

Thrown or jump off, oh well ... comes down to choice.  Just try not to land on anyone.  That's would be just rude.

Though, I suspect a simple resolution could end this seemingly epidemic of mysterious balcony deaths. 

Choose not to reside in any such complex more than two stories. 

Problem solved. 

14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I see at least two reasons:

If someone wants to kill himself how can he do that? Thailand has huge amounts of high floor balconies. That makes this already an "attractive" option. It is a much easier and "securer" way to go than i.e. a traffic "accident", pills, drowning or whatever alternative. And it doesn't even requite much climbing with the the low barriers .

And the decision can be made an execute within seconds. From the moment "I don't want to live anymore" to execution can be seconds. If people want to die without balconies they have often much more time to think twice and change their mind.

And then there are those people who are not sure about their life anymore. They take more risks. Part of that is that they don't deliberately want to kill themselves. But maybe they are still tired of life. So if it "happens" then it happens. One famous example was a former bar owner in Bangkok a couple of years ago. The story is that be wanted to climb from one high balcony to another. And he failed. And in the weeks before that he took a lot of risks. Was it an accident? Kind of...

But what if you change your mind on the way down? Really high buildings it can take a while to get to your final destination.(you could of course carry a parachute just in case) If you jump from a lower floor you might survive and spend the rest of your life paralyzed or in chronic pain. Shoot yourself in the head is superfast. Poisoning and slashing your wrist, you can call an ambulance if you feel like you have made a mistake.With my extreme fear of heights, jumping would be my last option.More afraid of heights than of death. So I would rather die than jump. 

16 hours ago, Chris.B said:

I think you mean fall, jump or pushed.

16 hours ago, webfact said:

But maybe the time has come to at least force the Thai developers to raise the height of balconies in the future

This is not the problem. How about people being responsible for themselves and aware of their surroundings.