Why do so many expats fall off their balconies in Thailand?

webfact

Well if you stay at the Nana hotel the balcony cement tops were nearly 4 feet, 1.2Meters

because a working girl was found dead, and it was discovered that she had been tossed over

the lower balcony by a cheapskate and jealous lover. I have seen the normal lower balcony railings though, and

never venture out to the balcony in those places.  I also guess that is why I chose not to live full time in that

hot country. Too much heat in March and April for sure.

5 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I think, and of course I don't know, but there probably is a decent case of burnt bridges going on.

The money has run out, surviving on minimalistic street food, family back home not talking, I can see that scenario

Some  may well have no family at home but hope most who have Thai family here have wonderful ones and yes certainly most of us ex-pats have not got a pot of gold and yes existing on very small savings left and also frozen income ie frozen state pension, which never goes up one Baht.
Yes, we look after as best that we can our Thai families and the little things do mount up with Grandchildren (well treated as our own) all mounting up on fixed income.

Edited by jwest10
adding

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

I guess Thai authorities don't want the world to known the truth that most top themselves after been cheated, fleeced and milked completely by Thai folks and particularly the gf.

These Thai people play games with farangs lives,  they don't care one bit about their scams and lies and how it affects the victim.  Scum comes to mind ......????

Certainly not all of them but when see your wallet empty. What no money?  Ok will go and get a little but also see posts that the Thais are all the same lol but that is unfair as this is all around the world and even close family can be the same and then greed of course and no helping close family but not distant ones who expect a pay out!!

53 minutes ago, Stargeezr said:

.I have seen the normal lower balcony railings though, and

never venture out to the balcony in those places.  I also guess that is why I chose not to live full time in that

hot country. Too much heat in March and April for sure.

Do you mean the heat is also something to do with these deaths?

Interesting!

Edited by kwak250

Never - EVER take out life insurance and make a Thai partner a beneficiary. If you do and they are aware of the insurance, then you become a potential target.

I already have been told of one Thai lady who several years ago made a healthy life insurance claim after a boyfriend who wanted to leave her over her flirting and going out, died in a very suspicious overdose event (she apparently claimed he tried to kill her too by lacing her food as well).  The police report seems it must have reported it as an accidental overdose (I believe suicides void claims).  She callously met her next partner on a flight back from seeing the dead man's parents in Europe! Motive, Opportunity and Ability - basic markers of a murder investigation, all appear evident IMO. If he had managed to leave her and change the policy's beneficiary in time then she would not have been able to get any money if he died.

She still walks free (now swindling/scamming) hunting men with money. 

Yes suicides and accidental falls occur, but in this mix of balcony falls I suspect are murder/manslaughter. 

One reason for falls here is the actual hieght of the barriers on balconies is too low for farangs, and, when having a few drinks it is very easy to go straight over if leaning etc. i am not tall, but I keep away from the edge, if you lean over you will not be able to pull back 

Pattaya (similarly Las Vegas) is a "last chance saloon" for the terminally ill, bankrupt, or heartbroken to have one last fling, before going out under their own steam.

Not to mention that a few of the "flying club" may have been roofied and put over the side by their bar-fine.

• Like 1

Sure there are some accidents and also the occasional “push”…

But overall I think most choose to jump as Thailand is a brutal place to be when money runs out.

Edited by khunpa
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

People need to remember, there is often no difference between the suicide numbers in Thailand and suicide numbers back home. The big difference is we read about it in Thailand.

To a certain extent, suicides in UK, Aust, USA etc , dont make the news. We are blissfully unaware someone jumped/fell from a building next suburb over.

My ex wife in Australia used to work in the career/counselling section of a major Sydney university. They would have 3-4 suicides a year, students who couldn't cope etc. Never published.

I worked in law enforcement in  Sydney Australia and suicides were very frequent.  Very rarely they made it into the media due to copycat fears. 

I even experienced one man jump and just a couple of seconds from landing on me. 

Fortunately, most roof/balcony/window falls were properly forensically examined, with usually good crime scene management and decent canvassing for other evidence, ensured suspicious cases would be identified. 

That is not to say that a carefully planned murder may have gone undetected and reported as suicide/accidental.  Some reviewed cases have detected some of these. 

• Like 1

Therefore, if a tall Expat (over 5.10) stands next to a 700 mm railing, it only reaches their thighs.  

Any railing that hits you below the hips has the potential to throw you off balance and contribute to a fall.  Most railing here in Thailand seen to be way too low.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Chris.B said:

The key word here is "fall" or "jump"?

I don't think many do fall, I think most jump. I also think most jump because they have run out of money.

PS. In the UK I believe balcony heights are 1.1 m.

I just measured my balcony in Melbourne Australia and it is 0.89m which seems 110mm under the standard. Even with that height I feel unsafe on my balcony and take extra care not to fall over. I am 186cm tall and the top of my balcony only reaches the top of my thighs. I am pretty sure my Bangkok condo has lower railings than here.

ONTARIO BUILDING CODE "OBC" - GUARD RAILS

Any residential deck or balcony in Ontario that is 5'-11" (1.80m) above grade must have a 42" tall railing. The height of the railing is measured from the walking surface of the deck to the top of the rail. Similar wording is found in the IRC for U.S. jurisdictions.

2 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

If the cause were drunkenness and/or low balcony railings, we would be seeing more stories of people falling from a second story condo. But we never do. 

Can you explain that a bit more - I don't follow the logic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Balcony rails are defiantly too low, and as for suicide or toppling over IMO it will nearly always be defined as suicide because of mitigation to the builders/owners etc. I was nearly going to buy a condo one time, and i can assure you the very first thing I would have done would have been to fit an extra rail to above my waist line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1