Why do so many expats fall off their balconies in Thailand?

webfact

28 minutes ago, cobra said:

Most hotel balcony railings in Thailand are ridiculously short, to the point I don't even venture out on to the deck.

Discounting anything nefarious, alcohol, plus short railed balconies can be a recipe for disaster.

They certainly are short and I"ve noticed that for many years.  

Why do people jump?  Any number of reasons.  Trouble with the locals, the law, a bad diagnosis, depression, money problems, drunk, <deleted> off girlfriend, in the end the reasons don't really matter.  It's just sad really.  

Just edited to add that I am not making fun of this in any way nor do I think that many (or any) people are here.  This must be very sad for some who are reading and this has affected them.  

Edited by Blumpie
  • Like 2

Are we being politically correct to call “committing suicide” as “falling off balcony”?? 
Missing the woods for the trees?
The issue is that expats do go into depression too and become suicidal. so the real issue is the mental issues in society that infects everyone 

2 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I think, and of course I don't know, but there probably is a decent case of burnt bridges going on.

The money has run out, surviving on minimalistic street food, family back home not talking, I can see that scenario

Yes, coupled with old age and/or ill health. Broken heart, depression ????

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Could it be the low construction heights?

Ya think?  This thread doesn't bring out the best posting. It seems many only read the title and started opining that the rails are too low - as stated in the sub-heading of the op quoted here and repeated and repeated. 

Others are obsessed with the barstool stories of 40kg girls throwing 100kg falangs off the balcony. 

OK, I'm off  to seek 'higher level' commenting on other threads. Carry on, as you were, peace out. 

Edited by amexpat
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Pattaya in particular, and Thailand in general, has a higher than average number of westerners who are depressed/alcoholic/skint/mental and suicidal.  Still that doesn't explain a lot of the deaths. Suicide does provide 'an explanation', no further investigation is needed by the BiB, making it a popular method of disguise. It is interesting Asean/Thaivisa posts up this story. In the past they have blocked comments on a couple jump stories, one was quickly removed, as if they knew something was hinky.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thailand has huge amounts of high floor balconies. That makes this already an "attractive" option.

Indeed, reckon TAT could use this for their next campaign to attract western retirees. Could be a real winner as it would cater for the needs of both locals and foreigners.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

One famous example was a former bar owner in Bangkok a couple of years ago. The story is that be wanted to climb from one high balcony to another. And he failed. And in the weeks before that he took a lot of risks. Was it an accident? Kind of...

Probably this is the guy from Dollhouse in soi Cowboy. The famous Stephen Leather posted the news item on FB recently and I thought it was new, turns out it was from 2016. The original article can still be accessed by doing a search on the Bangkok paper we cannot quote.