Minister signals a move to resurrect a national internet gateway and stronger online controls

webfact

6 hours ago, rott said:

I took your post to be a broad anti - British swipe. 

Which it largely was. Boris is not solely responsible for the conditions you mention and they are not peculiar to the UK. 

Anti England swipe. No wonder the Scots want independence. 

it's too late into the game to control the internet, do so and the people will make sure you lose your position, you can play politic with everything else you like but when you start to mess with the internet you're in a world of hurt. 

Edited by vinci

Putting politics to one side China's great wall has been very successful at allowing the growth of home grown tech businesses... Wechat, Huawei etc

Compare that to India where the market is dominated by Western tech.

I think it's Saudi Arabia where Whatsapp is banned in order to protect local telcos.

Thailand by itself doesn't have the population to deliver the necessary scale but perhaps if they teamed with Indonesia and Vietnam etc these countries between them could develop a high quality indigenous tech sector.

Probably too late in the tech cycle but you have to wonder... what if ??

This is a step typically done by failing or crumbling governments that try to keep control over public discourse (similar to China, Canada, Australia), while strong governments in countries with happy people can 'afford' to have people talking. A strong politician is one who can deal with critical questions, as he will usually have good answers explaining his actions.

I am worrying that the intentions described in this article might give the people living in Thailand the incorrect idea of their government being weak and therefore wanting to suppress and filter communication to their liking. ???? In my opinion, nothing could be more wrong, so I hope they will not get into the trap of really filtering the open Internet. ????

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, it is what it is said:

what you describe is in no way unique to the UK, in fact what you describe is the authorities trying to do something about a problem in society that many countries would ignore

Not the authorities. A private company with charitable status. 

44 minutes ago, Spilornis said:

think it's Saudi Arabia where Whatsapp is banned

Whatsapp is available and widely used in Saudi Arabia. 

There was a ban on voice and video messages for alleged regulatory violations but the messaging service remained in place. 

The ban has now been lifted. 

Edited by Bluespunk
several typos

2 hours ago, Spilornis said:

Compare that to India where the market is dominated by Western tech.

Or the other way around. Look who are the CEOs of Western tech companies such as Twitter, Google/Alphabet, Microsoft, IBM, and Adobe.

On 2/22/2022 at 4:35 AM, fdsa said:

you are wrong (or partially right) - government have "agents" and/or can break encryption of public VPN services only, which handed the encryption keys to those governments. If you properly setup your own VPN server then no one would be able to break it. (except NSA ofcourse ???? )

sure, you can setup your own secure VPN, if you are a hacker or some security obsessed sysadmin, still the VPN can be under attack, and the majority of people won't bother with that complex process for a private VPN, they can barely setup a USB device ????

On 2/22/2022 at 5:07 AM, ardsong said:

there is not one report of breaking a good encryption algorithme

you might be wrong here, I am pretty sure it has been done but not publicized or reported, and rightly so, you don't want to change things ????

On 2/22/2022 at 5:07 AM, ardsong said:

to use good reliable VPN services, again not any american VPN services, but I would suggest Suisse or German are thought to be the most thrustworthy

you might be naive again here to think there is no cooperation with US authorities for Swiss or German tech companies, their compliance department would require them so

Edited by GrandPapillon