Rider of ‘big bike’ involved in fatal accident to be indicted on nine charges

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Katipo said:

They will make an example of this guy. An attractive police Dr. from a well-off family killed by what appears to be a poorer police officer breaking multiple laws in broad daylight. He is going away.

I agree in principle with what you are saying but to say they will maybe stretching things, however I do agree it is the perfect moment to send out a very strong message to all motorists that crossings should be respected and if they are not the consequences will be severe .......... 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

I agree in principle with what you are saying but to say they will maybe stretching things, however I do agree it is the perfect moment to send out a very strong message to all motorists that crossings should be respected and if they are not the consequences will be severe .......... 

But there's still the open question of how many people will even be aware of this incident?

- Thai people don't read newspapers (some used to) and printed newspapers are now not that readily available.

- Most Thai people don't watch mainstream TV news services.

- Thai people who listen to the radio get very little news content.

- News on facebook etc., is very sparse and most Thais skim past it.

In other words there's an enormous gap in knowledge and understanding of laws and of such incidents.

Surely there's an answer; perhaps it should be compulsory for kids to attend 30 minute talks (at school, every 30 or 60 days) by experienced cops who are good at getting kids to pay attention. Or similar.

Recently I was in Australia. An old friend who is now in a snr federal education ministry position shared that there's discussion about including the above into compulsory education for all of primary, secondary education and in bachelor degree studies.

It would include knowledge of law and how the judicial system works at basic and then later at an advanced level.

Plus elementary then advanced knowledge of building and maintaining a civil society.

Plus (partly because of recent events/failures by federal and state governments) the rights of women, the laws about sexual consent, and more...  

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, scorecard said:

But there's still the open question of how many people will even be aware of this incident?

- Thai people don't read newspapers (some used to) and printed newspapers are now not that readily available.

In other words there's an enormous gap in knowledge and understanding of laws and of such incidents.

Surely there's an answer; perhaps it should be compulsory for kids to attend 30 minute talks (at school, every 30 or 60 days) by experienced cops who are good at getting kids to pay attention. Or similar.

Recently I was in Australia. An old friend who is now in a snr federal education ministry position shared that there's discussion about including the above into compulsory education for all of primary, secondary education and in bachelor degree studies.

It would include knowledge of law and how the judicial system works at basic and then later at an advanced level.

Plus elementary then advanced knowledge of building and maintaining a civil society.

Plus (partly because of recent events/failures by federal and state governments) the rights of women, the laws about sexual consent, and more...  

What you are advocating is quite correct but as you have pointed out, Thai's need to learn to walk before running. Maybe children in Australia listen to the teacher but here plus listening to some expert would more likely frighten them rather than make them learn. 

1 hour ago, Geoffggi said:

I am not holding my breath but let’s see what happens. However, I fear this rookie is going to be used as a scapegoat for all those, meaning most in the RTP, who flout the law they are supposed to protect.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Geoffggi said:

I don't believe they will do it for that reason, but rather so they can say "look, we aren't corrupt and don't look after our own, we follow the law".... they will then promptly let Joe Ferrari and other senior police off their charges with a slap on the wrist.

• Sad 1

The only thing that’s going to prevent this is construction of sizable speed bumps 3-5 meters prior to heavily-used zebra crossings and extended through adjacent sidewalks. And sized so that if disregarded,  Somchai  does a Superman 30 feet over his handlebars or causes serious damage and costly repairs to cars’ front tires/wheels and/or shocks and knocks the fillings out of drivers teeth.

Education and enforcement of rules? In Thailand? Really?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Police doctor?   Huh?   What does her "attractiveness" have to do with anything?

She was a Dr. at the Bangkok Police Hospital. And while attractiveness shouldn't have an impact on anything, it's more likely to have an affect on everything.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

"Thai people don't read newspapers (some used to) and printed newspapers are now not that readily available"

Nonsense.

"Most Thai people don't watch mainstream TV news services".

Nonsense.

"Thai people who listen to the radio get very little news content".

They get all the news that is reported on the radio stations that they listen to.

"News on facebook etc., is very sparse and most Thais skim past it".

Facebook is not the place people go to for local new reports but how could you ever know what "most of them skim past"?

So that "open question" is just a question in your mind.  I doubt that there is "an enormous gap of knowledge regarding this accident with Thais.

32 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"Thai people don't read newspapers (some used to) and printed newspapers are now not that readily available"

Nonsense.

"Most Thai people don't watch mainstream TV news services".

Nonsense.

"Thai people who listen to the radio get very little news content".

They get all the news that is reported on the radio stations that they listen to.

"News on facebook etc., is very sparse and most Thais skim past it".

Facebook is not the place people go to for local new reports but how could you ever know what "most of them skim past"?

So that "open question" is just a question in your mind.  I doubt that there is "an enormous gap of knowledge regarding this accident with Thais.

You're entitled to your opinion of course but I disagree; I ask people about news items;

- My outer family

- Neighbours

- Occasional chatting with Thai folks in the supermarket, markets

- Drivers

- My uni students

I can assure you, 90+% of these discussions reveal the points in my initial post.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

As a big bike rider I wonder if a car or truck or bus was up his butt at the crossing and he could not stop which happens to me often. This would not happen in a overhead crossing, spend the extra money as not many drivers do not  respect the zebra crossing.

Edited by vandeventer