Thai Tourism Minister insists on collecting 300 baht ‘land entry fee’ on all foreign visitors, says will be to help tourists and transparent

webfact

18 hours ago, nightfox said:

What's the big deal as just about every country in Asia charges a foreigner to enter their country. Only difference is Thailand calls a entry fee where most call it visa on arrival just like Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam as last time I checked it was $30 USD + to enter those countries. 

Yes,, but don't forget they already charge tourists 700B which is included in your flight ticket,, and if you think that it will stay at 300B, think again... 

38 minutes ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

Yes,, but don't forget they already charge tourists 700B which is included in your flight ticket,, and if you think that it will stay at 300B, think again... 

Still, if people whine and moan over an additional $10 or even $30 after spending thousands of dollars on flights and hotel's they should not even step foot out of their own house let alone on a plane.

• Sad 3

10 hours ago, mancub said:

Exactly my point,,,,20 baht per person would likely cover it. 

Be interested to see how this might be implemented, a tourist patient in the BHP in urgent need of treatment, they would prior be asking for money up front..... but now they don't have to bother. Rather a disincentive for travel insurance. No more 'Go Fund Me' pages?

On 2/22/2022 at 8:39 PM, webfact said:

National – The Thai Tourism and Sports Minister confirmed that the 300-baht ‘land entry fee’ on all foreign tourists visiting the country would be eventually implemented, stressing that it would be used for tourists’ insurance and an emergency fund for those traveling in the country.

If they we are no longer obliged to subscribe an insurance and are insured with this ฿ 300 fee, why not !

On 2/23/2022 at 6:47 AM, jacko45k said:

I would expect the Covid insurance to remain for a spell, but at some point to be withdrawn. The insurances obligated by particular Visas, O-A, O-X and O-A Retirement Extensions is another consideration. 

I see on this site today a news item that states from May 1 the insurance amount will be reduced to US$ 20,000 and the second Covid test can be self administered 

The back flip has begun.

• Like 1

Just now, StevieAus said:

I see on this site today a news item that states from May 1 the insurance amount will be reduced to US$ 20,000 and the second Covid test can be self administered 

The back flip has begun.

Yes, plenty of discussion about this going on.... but I expect there will still be plenty of negative comments. I see it as a precursor to getting rid of restrictions and requirements. Thailand likes to take little steps, and is still in the midst of rising Covid (omicron) numbers. 

• Like 1

FWIW... not withstanding the old 700 Baht exit fee, which disappeared when it became permanently charged to your ticket fees, they now claim this 300 Baht fee is for tourist insurance. Hmmmm, then what is this mandatory health insurance tourists are forced to purchase before coming to Thailand? I know, a total repeat but had to say it. 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2022 at 6:39 AM, 4MyEgo said:

This is just balance things out of course, i.e. the departure tax recently went up from 500 baht to 700 baht, but why stop there, now they want to charge 300 baht to get in, so it's an even 1,000 baht per head, or an extra 500 baht per head increase, or 100%. 

There is no stopping greed, hmmm, wonder if expats will have to pay this 300 baht as we are not tourists. I think unless we have a Thai surname we are all tourists then, cough, cough.

https://travelhappy.info/thailand/thailand-airptoort-departure-tax-increases-to-700-baht/#:~:text=The Airports of Thailand authority,50 Baht to 100 Baht.

BUT this only affects those flying >
the HUGE numbers of ( pre covid) visitors overland, will be very <deleted> off